• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For those who left the Christian Faith, let's discuss what you have discovered.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I now follow the teachings of Wicca and feel the loving warmth of the Mother goddess & Father god an shining down upon me. --> Wicca is duo-theistic.
I didn't realize that. That's something we have in common. I'm not Wiccan, but I believe I have a Mother in Heaven as well as a Father in Heaven.

Mind_Zenith

Broadcasting Live!
I was a Christian for some time during my highschool years, but I left it because I didn't receive a spiritualization from it that I do now in Nichiren Buddhism. It also had to do with the fact that there was no supernatural or coincidental proof of God, i.e. none of my prayer were answered, my life didn't change at all, and my outlook on life never budged.

It was also that the scriptures were very much defined in the idea that homosexuality is a sin. I know this to be untrue, mostly because of the powerful meditations I procured in my Theravada Buddhism, and now the amazing life changes that have been made as a Nichiren Buddhist.

Basically, I think Christianity was a negative force on my life.

Mind_Zenith

Broadcasting Live!
Just a note to katzpur:
The wiccan religion does not believe in a Godly Mother and Father in the same way the LDS people do. They believe they are omnipresent, and especially are of the earth. They are the Yin and Yang more or less, and both are vital to each other (at least in my understanding)

Hope that helps some! :D

Mike182

Flaming Queer
Does my earlier post not get a special reply like everyone else's?

Exactly what I argued all those years ago. Thing is though, Christianity also has a strong community element, and when that community keeps asking you if you've repented from your gay lifestyle every single time they see you, you loose that community spirit.

Like I said, my experience is probably different to yours, we're gonna be talking past each other.

Anyway, the sense of a strong Religious community was very appealing to me, and finding a Pagan community that was open and accepting of homosexuality was exactly what I wanted and needed. I found the Pagan path to be very insightful, inspiring and fulfilling - I've never looked back, I look fondly on that moment as the changing point in my life for the positive.

Comicaze247

See the previous line
Not to quote myself, but I haven't gotten any answers ;)

Alrighty then.

This should be interesting.

-The concept of "God-given" free will vs. "God's" Divine Plan.
So, "God" gave us free will.
But "God" also has a Divine Plan. He knows everything we're going to do before we do it. Every choice, every thought. He has a plan for each and every one of us. So he's planned out all our lives. Where does the free will figure in?
I've heard the argument that "we have a choice to follow his plan or not." Really now? So we have the ability to defy "God?" Doesn't sound "almighty" to me.
"We can choose to accept or reject "God," and those who reject him are sent to hell." Well, he has our live planned out for us, right? So he planned for us not to accept him? So he planned for us to go to hell? Don't I feel special.
Also, how is this free will? "Love me, or you'll burn in hell for all eternity. Your choice."

-Rejection of homosexuals and view of them as abominations when "God" created us all and we are all his children. Is that loving in the eyes of "God?"

-Why is it impossible for Jesus to have had siblings?
In the words of Chris Rock from "Dogma" (not verbatim): Believing Christ was born of a virgin, that's a leap of faith. But to believe that a married couple never got down, that's just plain gullibility.

Those are just off the top of my head.

I'm a mix of a lot of different things.
A bit of Buddhism, mixed with paganism and animism, and a bit agnostic. Hard to fully describe.

Darz

I was born, raised, and had practiced Roman Catholicism. I started becoming more religious a few years ago during my sophomore year of college. My gradual interest in religion caused me to explore my own faith, something I had never done before. Two years after that point I had taken a few religious courses, and started reading A History of God, both of which gave me a different perspective on religion. As I explored my own faith I struggled with many of its most fundamental beliefs. I couldn't find any way to explain the things I questioned no matter who I asked or what resources I found. For six months I basically told myself that in the end it didn't really matter all that much, since having faith in nonsensical things is just part of religion.

About two years ago I discovered the Baha'i Faith which I felt a great amount of connection to. Less than one year later I was no longer going to mass and I stopped considering myself a Catholic or a Christian. However, during my investigation of the Baha'i Faith, I discovered that it wasn't all that I initially thought it was. Five months ago I decided that I would not be declaring myself as a Baha'i. That's a whole different matter though...

Let's discuss what you have discovered. I'm open to discuss and debate anything that seems to be your reason for leaving Christianity.

Some reasons why I left Christianity:

• I could no longer accept the belief that Catholicism and Christianity hold claim to the entire truth (I now recognize that no religion can rightly claim that)
  • I could no longer accept the twisted theology of original sin and Jesus dying to forgive humanity's sins
  • I found the theology of Jesus and God being one and the same to be ridiculous
  • I found the belief of Satan (God's scapegoat) to be simple minded
  • I no longer believe any person or book can be inerrant
  • I found the idea of eternal damnation and suffering in hell to be utterly repulsive
  • I found the treatment of homosexuality and those of different faiths, and those that have no faith, to be unacceptable
  • And to end, I discovered that modern Christianity was not founded by Jesus, but by Paul and like minded individuals
I am also curious in what you have replaced the Christian Faith with, whatever you're new religion or world view has become.

I am now on a perpetual spiritual journey to learn what the world and my own being have to offer. I have found Universal Sufism to be very enlightening, however I am very hesitant about declaring myself to be a follower of one particular religion.

challupa

I was born, raised, and had practiced Roman Catholicism. I started becoming more religious a few years ago during my sophomore year of college. My gradual interest in religion caused me to explore my own faith, something I had never done before. Two years after that point I had taken a few religious courses, and started reading A History of God, both of which gave me a different perspective on religion. As I explored my own faith I struggled with many of its most fundamental beliefs. I couldn't find any way to explain the things I questioned no matter who I asked or what resources I found. For six months I basically told myself that in the end it didn't really matter all that much, since having faith in nonsensical things is just part of religion.

About two years ago I discovered the Baha'i Faith which I felt a great amount of connection to. Less than one year later I was no longer going to mass and I stopped considering myself a Catholic or a Christian. However, during my investigation of the Baha'i Faith, I discovered that it wasn't all that I initially thought it was. Five months ago I decided that I would not be declaring myself as a Baha'i. That's a whole different matter though...

Some reasons why I left Christianity:

• I could no longer accept the belief that Catholicism and Christianity hold claim to the entire truth (I now recognize that no religion can rightly claim that)
  • I could no longer accept the twisted theology of original sin and Jesus dying to forgive humanity's sins
  • I found the theology of Jesus and God being one and the same to be ridiculous
  • I found the belief of Satan (God's scapegoat) to be simple minded
  • I no longer believe any person or book can be inerrant
  • I found the idea of eternal damnation and suffering in hell to be utterly repulsive
  • I found the treatment of homosexuality and those of different faiths, and those that have no faith, to be unacceptable
  • And to end, I discovered that modern Christianity was not founded by Jesus, but by Paul and like minded individuals
I am now on a perpetual spiritual journey to learn what the world and my own being have to offer. I have found Universal Sufism to be very enlightening, however I am very hesitant about declaring myself to be a follower of one particular religion.
Wow, even though I was raised RCC, I totally relate to your post. Right down to researching Baha'i and deciding it wasn't it either. I am not of any religion anymore because I am beginning to understand it's something far more personal. Enjoy the journey Darz!:)

Rakhel

I went to a Mormon church and was baptized within it. When I was in in Jr High I attended a Methodist church. No, I was not a born-again. I stopped going after I left high school. When my daughter was 7, she had the choice of going to a Methodist church or a Baptist. She chose Methodist.
I left christianity because
1. I could never get my questions answered,
2. I never believed that Jesus was G-d, and
3. people like Christian Pilgrim.
Those that don't seem to understand that Christianity is not for everyone. It is not the only path, but they can't seem to get this. those that I have run into that are like him have a specific agenda. It is a need to preach and re-convert those that have left. If he can just show you why he is right and you were wrong then He feels better about himself.
They anger me and I have a hard time controlling my temper around them. So...

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Could you please share your view about your mother in Heaven? Is this a personal view or an official view of the Mormon Church?
The official view: "All human beings—male and female—are created in the image of God. Each is a beloved spirit son or daughter of heavenly parents, and, as such, each has a divine nature and destiny." That's the sum total of what we believe about our heavenly parentage. If you ask me to clarify further, I probably won't be able to.

Christian Pilgrim

The official view: "All human beings—male and female—are created in the image of God. Each is a beloved spirit son or daughter of heavenly parents, and, as such, each has a divine nature and destiny." That's the sum total of what we believe about our heavenly parentage. If you ask me to clarify further, I probably won't be able to.

Thanks for your answer. I am not too familar with LDS theology. Is there a distinct difference of a view of God the Father from historic Christianity and LDS Christianity in regards to the Father being eternal without a begining?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I am not too familar with LDS theology.
Well, that's an interesting change of position. You've always attempted to come across as quite an expert in it.

Is there a distinct difference of a view of God the Father from historic Christianity and LDS Christianity in regards to the Father being eternal without a begining?
Nope.

OmarKhayyam

"Well, that's an interesting change of position. You've always attempted to come across as quite an expert in it."

He is only an expert in what's wrong about it.;)

Christian Pilgrim

Yet the more he posts, the more one realizes that he don't know squat about it.

I do find it personally interesting that a self identified Godless Heathen and an Apathetic Agonistic will come to the defense of Mormonism. Why are non-Christians so hostile to Biblical Christianity and not to other world religions? It sure seems Mormonism does not have the same offense or foolishness of the cross as historical Biblical Christianity. Maybe Mormonism does not teach the exclusiveness of Jesus Christ like historical Biblical Christianity.

For the word of the cross is folly to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.
For it is written,
“I will destroy the wisdom of the wise,
and the discernment of the discerning I will thwart.”

Where is the one who is wise? Where is the scribe? Where is the debater of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? For since, in the wisdom of God, the world did not know God through wisdom, it pleased God through the folly of what we preach to save those who believe. For Jews demand signs and Greeks seek wisdom, but we preach Christ crucified, a stumbling block to Jews and folly to Gentiles, but to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. For the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men.

For consider your calling, brothers: not many of you were wise according to worldly standards, not many were powerful, not many were of noble birth. But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong; God chose what is low and despised in the world, even things that are not, to bring to nothing things that are, so that no human being might boast in the presence of God. And because of him you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, righteousness and sanctification and redemption, so that, as it is written, “Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord.” - Paul

Last edited:

OmarKhayyam

"I do find it personally interesting that a self identified Godless Heathen and an Apathetic Agonistic will come to the defense of Mormonism. Why are non-Christians so hostile to Biblical Christianity and not to other world religions?"

Perhaps because those 2 religions were the ones under discussion?:shrug:

And how do you read a "defense of Mormonism" into my post?

I would have thought the point was obvious. Those you think they know everything about others beliefs are rather - arrogant?;)

McBell

Admiral Obvious
I do find it personally interesting that a self identified Godless Heathen and an Apathetic Agonistic will come to the defense of Mormonism. Why are non-Christians so hostile to Biblical Christianity and not to other world religions? It sure seems Mormonism does not have the same offense or foolishness of the cross as historical Biblical Christianity. Maybe Mormonism does not teach the exclusiveness of Jesus Christ like historical Biblical Christianity.
Thank you for furthering my point.

Are you really truly ready to get your backside handed to you ONCE AGAIN?

OmarKhayyam

BTW, just curious why do xantians so often post bible quotes in support of their positions?

Surely they must realize that for many of their readers such quotes might just as well in be Zulu for all the meaning they convey.