• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For those who left the Christian Faith, let's discuss what you have discovered.

Christian Pilgrim

To my Apathetic Agnostic and Godless Heathen debaters, this is the best I can do with you guys. Obviously you just want to pick a fight.

Have nothing to do with foolish, ignorant controversies; you know that they breed quarrels. And the Lord's servant must not be quarrelsome but kind to everyone, able to teach, patiently enduring evil, correcting his opponents with gentleness. God may perhaps grant them repentance leading to a knowledge of the truth, and they may come to their senses and escape from the snare of the devil, after being captured by him to do his will. - Paul

McBell

Admiral Obvious
To my Apathetic Agnostic and Godless Heathen debaters, this is the best I can do with you guys. Obviously you just want to pick a fight.

Have nothing to do with foolish, ignorant controversies; you know that they breed quarrels. And the Lord's servant must not be quarrelsome but kind to everyone, able to teach, patiently enduring evil, correcting his opponents with gentleness. God may perhaps grant them repentance leading to a knowledge of the truth, and they may come to their senses and escape from the snare of the devil, after being captured by him to do his will. - Paul
Yes, you always did run tail tucked when confronted with questions you had no copy/paste answer for.

OmarKhayyam

These poor xantians. They are SO put upon.

Perhaps you would feel more comfortable in a xantains only environment. There no one will challenge your mythology.

But when you come out here in the real world . . . .

Just a thought.

Christian Pilgrim

These poor xantians. They are SO put upon.

Perhaps you would feel more comfortable in a xantains only environment. There no one will challenge your mythology.

But when you come out here in the real world . . . .

Just a thought.

Here is a thought from above:

The Beatitudes

2 And he opened his mouth and taught them, saying:
3 “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
4 “Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.
5 “Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.
6 “Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.
7 “Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy.
8 “Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.
9 “Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.
10 “Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
11 “Blessed are you when others revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. 12 Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Here is a thought from above:

The Beatitudes

2 And he opened his mouth and taught them, saying:
3 “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
4 “Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.
5 “Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.
6 “Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.
7 “Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy.
8 “Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.
9 “Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.
10 “Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
11 “Blessed are you when others revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. 12 Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.
Are you now claiming to be a Prophet of God?

OmarKhayyam

See, he did it AGAIN.

Do you REALLY think that has ANY meaning to anyone who is not already a believer?

Or perhaps, as has been suggested, you really have NO thoughts of your own and can only cut and paste from your favorite book of fables?

If so, it does make one marvel at just how mind numbing belief in this myth can be.

gnomon

This thread is for those who were once a professing Christian and have left the Christian Faith. Let's discuss what you have discovered. I'm open to discuss and debate anything that seems to be your reason for leaving Christianity. I am also curious in what you have replaced the Christian Faith with, whatever you're new religion or world view has become.

I discovered peace of mind.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Its funny how Christian Pilgrim completely ignored my reply...
But I have gotten used to such things from him.

OmarKhayyam

"Those are written Words of The Prophet of God (the Christ)."

BTW, just as a matter of fact - they aren't.

They are what someone said he said. He never wrote a word as far as we know.

And of course we have already seen how badly one can misunderstand what somebody said about what somebody else said or wrote. You demonstrated that quite clearly with your Darwin disaster - remember?

Now here you are again, quoting (third hand now) from a secondary source.

Comicaze247

See the previous line
Alrighty then.

This should be interesting.

-The concept of "God-given" free will vs. "God's" Divine Plan.
So, "God" gave us free will.
But "God" also has a Divine Plan. He knows everything we're going to do before we do it. Every choice, every thought. He has a plan for each and every one of us. So he's planned out all our lives. Where does the free will figure in?
I've heard the argument that "we have a choice to follow his plan or not." Really now? So we have the ability to defy "God?" Doesn't sound "almighty" to me.
"We can choose to accept or reject "God," and those who reject him are sent to hell." Well, he has our live planned out for us, right? So he planned for us not to accept him? So he planned for us to go to hell? Don't I feel special.
Also, how is this free will? "Love me, or you'll burn in hell for all eternity. Your choice."

-Rejection of homosexuals and view of them as abominations when "God" created us all and we are all his children. Is that loving in the eyes of "God?"

-Why is it impossible for Jesus to have had siblings?
In the words of Chris Rock from "Dogma" (not verbatim): Believing Christ was born of a virgin, that's a leap of faith. But to believe that a married couple never got down, that's just plain gullibility.

Those are just off the top of my head.

I'm a mix of a lot of different things.
A bit of Buddhism, mixed with paganism and animism, and a bit agnostic. Hard to fully describe.
Aww, I feel left out. I still haven't gotten any answers from you Christian Pilgrim :(

mickiel

Christians feel like they are called and annointed, and that those without are not. Anytime they speak with others, that is their point of view. The christian who started this post, actually caught my attention, because he seemed for real in trying to reach an understanding as to why former christians have left. But no matter how christians start out a conversation, eventually they will lean toward the " I am annointed, and you are not" mentality, and usually start condemning the other.

Which is one of the reasons I left christianity, because of their willingness to condemn anyone who does not walk their path. And not only condemn them, but put them in a place of condemnation for all of eternity.

I believe in God, but I don't think he is anything like christians are saying he is. And I cannot accept that his plan for unbelievers, is some kind of eternal pain amphlifier.

Peace.

Darz

Wow, even though I was raised RCC, I totally relate to your post. Right down to researching Baha'i and deciding it wasn't it either. I am not of any religion anymore because I am beginning to understand it's something far more personal. Enjoy the journey Darz!:)

Indeed, it is far more personal than many take it for. I am definitely enjoying the journey. I am elated by the feeling of intellectual and theological freedom and knowing that everything is open to investigation now.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
The christian who started this post, actually caught my attention, because he seemed for real in trying to reach an understanding as to why former christians have left.
That's what I thought as well, but his real motives soon became apparent enough as evidenced by his discussions with people here. He obviously likes to ask a lot of questions, but in directly answering questions and critical feedback posed to him in regards to his position on issues, he seems to be un-satisfyingly evasive and non-responsive as to what is put forth to him.
-NM-

Christian Pilgrim

Originally Posted by Comicaze247
Alrighty then.

This should be interesting.

-The concept of "God-given" free will vs. "God's" Divine Plan.
So, "God" gave us free will.
But "God" also has a Divine Plan. He knows everything we're going to do before we do it. Every choice, every thought. He has a plan for each and every one of us. So he's planned out all our lives. Where does the free will figure in?
I've heard the argument that "we have a choice to follow his plan or not." Really now? So we have the ability to defy "God?" Doesn't sound "almighty" to me.
"We can choose to accept or reject "God," and those who reject him are sent to hell." Well, he has our live planned out for us, right? So he planned for us not to accept him? So he planned for us to go to hell? Don't I feel special.
Also, how is this free will? "Love me, or you'll burn in hell for all eternity. Your choice."
I believe Scripture reveals predestination and double-predestination. I believe Scripture reveals God is completely sovereign, and through providence, He governs all things to make come to pass all that He ordained.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I'm not sure whether I can be said to have ever really been a Christian. With me it never went deeper than "Jesus loves me, yes I know/ For the Bible tells me so." I put things into those terms becuase that's what my family did, but I didn't really know the doctrine. I mean, I didn't even hear anything about Hell or danation till I was in my teens, and by that point, I'd abandoned even my nominal Christianity.