• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Global warming

Pete in Panama

It is sort of a scientific subject so for your entertainment...

View attachment 93382
OK, we can agree that you posted a very impressive graph. Please let's note that what I asked for was..
...earth's average temperature is now...
...what it has been...
...how this is atypical for temperature trends for the past few tens of thousands of years...
--so can we agree that the questions have not been answered? Maybe your experience is that the info I seek is important but is just not available. However if you feel you actually did answer my quesions completely, please understand that this appears to me a rather unique failing of mine that I honestly feel that what I asked for is necessary to be able to...
... talk about what temperature we want it to be and how we're going to change what we got.
--and you feel that my info search is meaningless, or maybe you honestly feel that you did in fact answer my questions. I'd be grateful for your thoughts on this.

Something else: your chart seems to suggest that the earth's average temperature rose 1-1/2 C in a hundred years because of greenhouse CO2. Are you aware that many climate scientists say that this would be impossible and that it's something else that has happened?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
OK, we can agree that you posted a very impressive graph. Please let's note that what I asked for was..

--so can we agree that the questions have not been answered? Maybe your experience is that the info I seek is important but is just not available. However if you feel you actually did answer my quesions completely, please understand that this appears to me a rather unique failing of mine that I honestly feel that what I asked for is necessary to be able to...

--and you feel that my info search is meaningless, or maybe you honestly feel that you did in fact answer my questions. I'd be grateful for your thoughts on this.

Something else: your chart seems to suggest that the earth's average temperature rose 1-1/2 C in a hundred years because of greenhouse CO2. Are you aware that many climate scientists say that this would be impossible and that it's something else that has happened?

You are welcome. There are lots of different charts on Google over various time periods, you should look for yourself, you may learn something.

Names of some of these scientists please .. as far as i know its less than 3% of climate scientists who disagree to varing extents with the consensus

Laniakea

Not of this world
You are not questioning authority, but reality.

Science is not political, even if it is often distorted to such ends.
Politically distorted "science" doesn't reflect reality.
I'm a man and have been told that science says I can give birth to a baby. I'm still working on that, but without success. "But....the SCIENCE!"

Regiomontanus

Eastern Orthodox
Politically distorted "science" doesn't reflect reality.
I'm a man and have been told that science says I can give birth to a baby. I'm still working on that, but without success. "But....the SCIENCE!"

Please share the science that says a man can give birth. I have never heard such an absurd claim.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Oh, now you're some kind of prophet?

No, just someone who understands the difference between "prophecy" and "scientific prediction".

Leftists have tried to scare people with that sort of disinformation since the 70s.

And they were pretty much nothing short of correct.

None of it came to pass, so they just keep saying, "Well, maybe in another 20 years....."

Records of heat, storms, and other extreme weather conditions are being broken year after year now. Average temp has been going up for years.
What are you talking about, "none came to pass"?

Pete in Panama

No, just someone who understands the difference between "prophecy" and "scientific prediction"....
Fine, let's go w/ that.

The sun sends the earth 4.1x10^13 kcal of energy per year (from the U.S. Dept. of Energy: 173,000TWatts) and the earth has a mass of 6 x 10^24 kg. -ok, make it just 5 x 10^24 kg for the specific heat rock/water. That rate of heat will take over a hundred billion years for the earth temp. to heat up just one degree.

Look, this isn't rocket science. In middle school they teach you that a calorie will heat a gram of water 1C and that it would take a hundred billion years for a calorie/year to heat up a hundred billion grams.

AGW is like astrology and clairvoyance, we're better off w/ science.

Last edited:

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Fine, let's go w/ that.

The sun sends the earth 4.1x10^13 kcal of energy per year (from the U.S. Dept. of Energy: 173,000TWatts) and the earth has a mass of 6 x 10^24 kg. -ok, make it just 5 x 10^24 for the specific heat. That rate of heat will take over a hundred billion years for the earth to heat up just one degree heat.

Look, this isn't rocket science. In middle school they teach you that a calorie will heat a gram of water 1C and that it would take a hundred billion years for a calorie to heat up a hundred billion grams.

AGW is like astrology and clairvoyance, we're better off w/ science.
That's nice.

Off course, it's the atmosphere that warms up, not the entire earth. :shrug:
You know... the part we actually live in on the surface.

Last edited:

Pete in Panama

That's nice.

Off course, it's the atmosphere that warms up, not the entire earth. :shrug:
You know... the part we actually live in on the surface.
ok, the mass of the atmosphere is a LOT less than the mass of the earth. So we can agree that there is no global warming and that the idea of AGW is bonkers. Shall we talk about atmospheric warming now?

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
ok, the mass of the atmosphere is a LOT less than the mass of the earth. So we can agree that there is no global warming and that the idea of AGW is bonkers.

That doesn't follow at all.
The atmosphere warms up due to massive build up of green house gasses.
And it's humans who are pumping those into the air. :shrug:

Pete in Panama

ok, the mass of the atmosphere is a LOT less than the mass of the earth. So we can agree that there is no global warming and that the idea of AGW is bonkers. Shall we talk about atmospheric warming now?
That doesn't follow at all.
The atmosphere warms up due to massive build up of green house gasses.
And it's humans who are pumping those into the air. :shrug:
Please let's get together on this.

We have determined that most of the mass of the earth is not warming, but that the atmosphere is warming and it's what we now need to look at. iow, the vast majority of the earth's mass is the part that is not the atmosphere, so we can say that most of the mass is not warming. We agree that we don't have global warming, and we are now discussing whether we have atmospheric warming.

Are we still together?

Yerda

Veteran Member
Please let's get together on this.

We have determined that most of the mass of the earth is not warming, but that the atmosphere is warming and it's what we now need to look at. iow, the vast majority of the earth's mass is the part that is not the atmosphere, so we can say that most of the mass is not warming. We agree that we don't have global warming, and we are now discussing whether we have atmospheric warming.

Are we still together?
The oceans too, which is particularly important. We could maybe think about climate change as the variation in state of the fluids covering the surface of the planet and the drivers of the change.

Pete in Panama

The oceans too, which is particularly important. We could maybe think about climate change as the variation in state of the fluids covering the surface of the planet and the drivers of the change.
Sounds like you're saying much is going on but there's nothing in particular worth noting.

Many people say that the earth has warmed 1-1/2 C in the past 150 years because of a greenhouse caused by people. You haven't said this and I think that's wise. So far nobody here wants to say that something bad is happening so I guess we can just forget it all and worry about something else. Sure there are a lot of things to think about but if nobody says there's trend then we can all just say "how about that" and go home.

Yerda

Veteran Member
Sounds like you're saying much is going on but there's nothing in particular worth noting.
The atmosphere and oceans warming seems notable to me.

Many people say that the earth has warmed 1-1/2 C in the past 150 years because of a greenhouse caused by people.
You haven't said this and I think that's wise.
I'd say the wisest choice is to listen to the people with the phds in the relevant fields and the decades of research. What are they saying?

So far nobody here wants to say that something bad is happening so I guess we can just forget it all and worry about something else. Sure there are a lot of things to think about but if nobody says there's trend then we can all just say "how about that" and go home.
You do you, as the kids say.

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.
Somebody needs to understand what the term global warming means. :rolleyes:

global warming - noun An increase in the average temperature of the earth's atmosphere, especially a sustained increase sufficient to cause climatic change.

Pete in Panama

The atmosphere and oceans warming seems notable to me.

I'd say the wisest choice is to listen to the people with the phds in the relevant fields and the decades of research. What are they saying?

You do you, as the kids say.
What I'm getting is that you agree that the atmosphere and oceans have warmed 1-1/2C over the past 150 years (because of a greenhouse caused by people), and also you are reluctant to say that you believe this. The closest we've gotten to your position that the people/CO2 caused oceans/atmosphere heating 1-1/2C in 150 years is your "the wisest choice is to listen to the people with the phds in the relevant fields and the decades of research."

fwiw, there's a new trend in the discourse, that the story now is unclear as to whether the oceans are involved. Some say it's just the atmosphere that's heating. The reason for this change of assertion is that the public is becoming aware that there simply is not enough heat energy coming from the sun to heat the oceans that fast. Sun/greenhouse would take thousands of years, not just 150 --it's fairly simple math and we can look at it together if you want.