• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God is a person

Man of Faith

So, you don't consider rage and hatred to be bad?

God hates and gets rageful and we were created in his image. I can hate what people do but not hate people in the perspective of we are all fallen beings so we make mistakes. I can rage up and do good by stopping evil when I need to. Like I said emotions have their purpose, even though mankind can't control them like we were created to.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Or did we get our personal traits from God? I think it will take faith to say either way.
No, it takes incredible faith to make any assumptions about God. Especially in attempts to tie human emotions to God.
It revels a deep human desire to either make God like us, or us like God.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Eh, I'll believe that people can communicate with gods when they can demonstrate it.

Ask god:
-What brand of television I own.
-What color the rug near my kitchen sink is.
-What color the rug near my shower is.
-What color my alarm clock is.

If someone's god(s) can provide those answers, and you can relay them to me correctly, you win. Either you demonstrate that your god exists or that you are seriously psychic.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Anthropomorphic gods that get angry or hateful and suffer seem kind of small anyway.

averageJOE

zombie
List of emotions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Joy, trust, love, awe, empathy, hope... these are what make you almighty
Fear, anger, disgust, lust, envy, wrath, pride (aren't those sins?), rage, jealousy, lathargic, shame, panic...
My position is emotions are not bad things, we have them for a reason and they serve a purpose. Humans fail yes but personhood emotions aren't bad. Can you help explain how emotions are bad.
Not bad. Just flawed and limited.

Sententia

the first time you open yourself to God, you do so in faith... once He replies, you no longer have to rely on faith ... the first step is taken in faith though - as with everything.

:ignore: It is simply ignorant to assume there are not atheists who were once faithful and dedicated christians.

If not ignorant then deceptive. :facepalm:

God is just like like cake, as humans can make a cake that is palatable to some and not to others so can humans create a god.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Therefore he wills, feels, thinks, enjoys, loves, desires, and suffers like any person does. And I can cultivate a relationship with him just like I can with any person. I wouldn’t tell any person that they don’t exist, use their name while cursing, or do what they don’t want me to if I want to cultivate a relationship with them. I would talk to them and try to find out how to please them.

By attempting to anthropomorphize the concept of god you only lessen it. You bring god down to our level as if he was just another great ape who also happened to be invisible and dwelling among the clouds. And by attributing human ego and emotion to him it also implies that he would have the same flaws, needs, weakness and imperfections that we do. In your bible he is portrayed as behaving rather irrational, petty and infantile, which tends to paint god as an embarrassing cartoon caricature.

Last edited:

Man of Faith

No, it takes incredible faith to make any assumptions about God. Especially in attempts to tie human emotions to God.
It revels a deep human desire to either make God like us, or us like God.

You are forgetting one thing, in the Atheist worldview there is no foundation for personhood. There is no foundation for someone to say I am a peson in the Atheist worldview. Matter does not have personhood. Hence if you are saying that humans put personhood onto God you must first borrow from the Christian worldview in accepting that humans are people and not animals.

So you must first debunk your worldview in order to say that humans put personhood onto God. I think you just confirmed in a round about way that there is a God.

ellenjanuary

You are forgetting one thing, in the Atheist worldview there is no foundation for personhood. There is no foundation for someone to say I am a peson in the Atheist worldview. Matter does not have personhood. Hence if you are saying that humans put personhood onto God you must first borrow from the Christian worldview in accepting that humans are people and not animals.

So you must first debunk your worldview in order to say that humans put personhood onto God. I think you just confirmed in a round about way that there is a God.
Wow.

Faith of Man, you messed up. Word. :D

ellenjanuary

By attempting to anthropomorphize the concept of god you only lessen it. You bring god down to our level as if he was just another great ape who also happened to be invisible and dwelling among the clouds. And by attributing human ego and emotion to him it also implies that he would have the same flaws, needs, weakness and imperfections that we do. In your bible he is portrayed as behaving rather irrational, petty and infantile, which tends to paint god as an embarrassing cartoon caricature.
Other than calling the Almighty a cartoon character, this is right on.

Do you see? No, you don't. Your eyes see. Transmit electricity to a clump of nerves; just so happened to evolve to transmit electricity. Transit Authority, the mind; but when one is a traffic cop, everything is traffic.

Cannot hear the voice of god; for elsewise, you would be destroyed. So, what are you hearing? Your god-like aspect. Metatron. Don't bow down to the angel... Lucy's already been warned. :)

Looncall

This sort of balderdash is an excellent demonstration of the corrosive effect of religion on the human intellect.

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic

Being able to predict your own behavior is a decent indicator of personhood. No theology needed. :D

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member

No, you just confirmed that if you didn't believe in God, you wouldn't believe that we are people. :facepalm: