• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greatest film of all time

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Not true, Christine. Bladerunner was way better than the book, "Do Androids dream of electronic sheep?"

Very well. I change my position. The book is usually better than the movie. I've never saw or read Bladerunner, although I should have- I heard it was really good. :)

Erebus

I'm still inclined to think that the film adaptation of the Lord of the Rings is certainly one of the best works ever rendered into film. Peter Jackson is a genius.

Very much agreed. The books just have far too much filler for my liking and I'm normally a firm adherent of "the book was better" philosophy ;). The Hobbit is a great book, but I've not seen the film yet to make a comparison.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Very much agreed. The books just have far too much filler for my liking and I'm normally a firm adherent of "the book was better" philosophy ;). The Hobbit is a great book, but I've not seen the film yet to make a comparison.

I liked book Faramir better, though. And I had a difficult time letting go of the Scouring of the Shire in the film and Saruman's end. But movie-Aragorn was MUCH better than the book, which I found rather annoying when I read it.

I was happy they didn't include Tom Bombadil, though. I wasn't sure how to take that part of the book. :p

Given that, these are minor compared to how Jackson interpreted the trilogy onto film. LOTR is one of my favorites of all time. To be honest, I thought all three should have won Best Picture each year it was nominated, since they were all head and shoulders above all the other nominees, IMO.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Speaking of the Hobbit, I'm having a hard time even calling the films an adaptation.
it's a different beast altogether. I read the Hobbit when I was a soldier, and from what I remember with all the stress around, the Hobbit made me think about green hills, and the peacefulness of the wilderness and going out to meet it. The Hobbit is very light reading. The first film, although great, is a huge production that completely goes against my peaceful vision of the book.
Tolkien's literature usually makes me feel about the outdoors, green environment, a more innocent world, and even good pipe smoking and good food. The films are dramatic, swiping, and take you into the thrill and drama.
But yeah, it is definitely great production, well invested and inspiring.

There are some cases where films meet or exceed an awesomeness of the book. I agree with Paul, while I liked 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?' I can't really say that it is a as memorable as Blade Runner. And while the book 'The Princess Bride' is really great and funny, the film is just epic, even some of the changes in the plot make more sense in the film adaptation.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Speaking of the Hobbit, I'm having a hard time even calling the films an adaptation.
it's a different beast altogether. I read the Hobbit when I was a soldier, and from what I remember with all the stress around, the Hobbit made me think about green hills, and the peacefulness of the wilderness and going out to meet it. The Hobbit is very light reading. The first film, although great, is a huge production that completely goes against my peaceful vision of the book.
Tolkien's literature usually makes me feel about the outdoors, green environment, a more innocent world, and even good pipe smoking and good food. The films are dramatic, swiping, and take you into the thrill and drama.
But yeah, it is definitely great production, well invested and inspiring.

There are some cases where films meet or exceed an awesomeness of the book. I agree with Ymir, while I liked 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?' I can't really say that it is a as memorable as Blade Runner. And while the book 'The Princess Bride' is really great and funny, the film is just epic, even some of the changes in the plot make more sense in the film adaptation.

Totally agree with you on "The Princess Bride." The film is timeless and truly one of the best. :yes:

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Totally agree with you on "The Princess Bride." The film is timeless and truly one of the best. :yes:
I always found it a victory for natural selection that among the many oddities of the 80s such as bad hair, pop music, and synthesizers, the decade also produced some brilliant gems. :p

Erebus

I was happy they didn't include Tom Bombadil, though. I wasn't sure how to take that part of the book. :p

I breathed a sigh of relief when he didn't appear in the film. He's just so irritating!

Also I imagine if the films followed the books closely, they'd probably have been musicals. Tolkiens elves sure loved to sing!

Titanic

Willy Wonka and the chocolate factory, Gene Wilder's performance will live on thru movie history for as long as movies are made, just a classic and one of my all time favorite classic's. A movie were truly just one person made it great, he carried the whole entire film.

Titanic

Edward Scissorhands, it had a profound effect on the Gothic subculture and is probably Johnny Depp's best movie he has ever acted in. It deserve's a honorable mention.

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
I find it hard to list my top favourites films, but they include, in no real order other than as I recall them:

The Fountain. I can't stand Hugh Jackman normally, but I can overlook that in favour of the story line.
Waking Life. Art as film, loads of neat ideas.
Mr. Nobody. so... What actually happened in this guy's life? did he have one kid or two? Did he live with his mum or dad. Time in this multiverse seems to go in two directions.
Stranger Than Fiction. Will Ferrell in a serious role? Yes. And he does it so much better than anything else!
The Imaginarium Of Dr Parnassus. Loads of fun, again, like in many other of my favourites, playing with the ideas of fantasy realms, other worlds, what is real and what isn't...