• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greatest film of all time

Sir Doom

Cooler than most of you
just kidding about serioulsy stop dising ever thing i say. cheers.

Be still membranous one! I just HATE Billy Zane in a completely irrational way. HACK.

Take no offense. James Cameron spent oodles of money. That means it's supposed to be good. Just like Fern Gully 3d. Sorry, I mean Avatar.

;)

FlyingTeaPot

Irrational Rationalist. Educated Fool.
Oh man. It is so difficult to pick one.

I can think of The Lives of Others

will post more as I think of them.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You're not missing much, Dan, but it was better than I expected. DiCaprio was actually tolerable in it, not that it was a particularly demanding role.
There's also a brief scene in the engine room as I recall.
It made the movie worth seeing....for gearheads.
But what I found most offensive was when the gal tossed the multi-million dollar diamond
thingie into the ocean. Jeezus Kriste, that would'a bought a whole lot of vintage machinery!

Daemon Sophic

Oh come on, folks. Greatest movie of all time has to be "The Room."

Tommy Wiseau is a genius. :D

[youtube]yCj8sPCWfUw[/youtube]
YouTube

And one of the best scenes from "The Room" has to be the florist scene where Tommy Wiseau says "Hi doggie":

[youtube]kOdjtiOMGbA[/youtube]
The Room - Flower Scene (HI DOGGY!) - YouTube
Speaking as an agnostic.......I fully believe that while watching those, part of my soul just died. :thud:

dust1n

Zindīq
Not even Aliens?
Fie! Fie! A pox on your house!

Aliens is still one of those movies I saw too young; before my capacity to actually get movies. :D So, I can't fairly criticize that one. It can't be that bad, cause modern CGI wasn't around like it is today.

Sir Doom

Cooler than most of you
Honestly the scene where they are backed in a closet and its all in red emergency lighting and the locators are just BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP gets my heart pounding every time.

Interestingly enough it bears an uncanny resemblance to the opening scene of a movie called, Galaxy of Terror which is a Roger Corman film that James Cameron worked on. Watch it some time if you can stomach a bit of B.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Aliens is still one of those movies I saw too young; before my capacity to actually get movies. :D So, I can't fairly criticize that one. It can't be that bad, cause modern CGI wasn't around like it is today.
CGI is just another tool, capable of being used for good or evil.
I suppose that you opposed talkies when they first came out, eh?
Oh, wait....that was a little before your time.

dust1n

Zindīq

Ridley Scott filming model shots of the Nostromo and its attached ore refinery. He made slow passes filming at 2½ frames per second to give the models the appearance of motion.[16]

The spaceships and planets for the film were shot using models and miniatures. These included models of the Nostromo, its attached mineral refinery, the escape shuttle Narcissus, the alien planetoid, and the exterior and interior of the derelict spacecraft. Visual Effects Supervisor Brian Johnson, supervising modelmaker Martin Bower, and their team worked at Bray Studios, roughly 25 miles (40 km) from Shepperton Studios where principal filming was taking place.[53][54] The designs of the Nostromo and its attachments were based on combinations of Ridley Scott's storyboards and Ron Cobb's conceptual drawings.[53] The basic outlines of the models were made of wood and plastic, and most of the fine details were added from model kits of battleships, tanks, and World War II bombers. Three models of the Nostromo were made: a 12-inch (30 cm) version for medium and long shots, a 4-foot (1.2 m) version for rear shots, and a 12-foot (3.7 m), 7-short-ton (6.4 t) rig for the undocking and planetoid surface sequences.[16][54] Scott insisted on numerous changes to the models even as filming was taking place, leading to conflicts with the modeling and filming teams... He ordered more and more pieces added to the model until the final large version with the refinery required a metal framework so that it could be lifted by a forklift. He also took a hammer and chisel to sections of the refinery, knocking off many of its spires which Bower had spent weeks creating. Scott also had disagreements with miniature effects cinematographer Dennis Ayling over how to light the models.[53]

A separate model, approximately 40 feet (12 m) long, was created for the Nostromo's underside from which the Narcissus would detach and from which Kane's body would be launched during the funeral scene. Bower carved Kane's burial shroud out of wood and it was launched through the hatch using a small catapult and filmed at high speed, then slowed down in editing.[53][55] Only one shot was filmed using blue screen compositing: that of the shuttle racing past the Nostromo. The other shots were simply filmed against black backdrops, with stars added via double exposure.[54] Though motion control photography technology was available at the time, the film's budget would not allow for it. The team therefore used a camera with wide-angle lenses mounted on a drive mechanism to make slow passes over and around the models filming at 2½ frames per second,[16] giving them the appearance of motion. Scott added smoke and wind effects to enhance the illusion.[53]...

A separate model was created for the exterior of the derelict alien spacecraft. Matte paintings were used to fill in areas of the ship's interior as well as exterior shots of the planetoid's surface.[53] The surface as seen from space during the landing sequence was created by painting a globe white, then mixing chemicals and dyes onto transparencies and projecting them onto it.[16][54] The planetoid was not named in the film, but some drafts of the script gave it the name Acheron[36] after the river which in Greek mythology is described as the "stream of woe", a branch of the river Styx, and which forms the border of Hell in Dante's Inferno. The 1986 sequel Aliens named the planetoid as "LV-426",[48] and both names have been used for it in subsequent expanded universe media such as comic books and video games. In Alien the planetoid is said to be located somewhere in the Zeta2 Reticuli system.[56]

Alien (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That's just a tiny portion of the awesomeness in effects, and only deals with just the shooting of space and ships, not all the fun fleshy stuff.

Brothers Robert and Dennis Skotak were hired to supervise the visual effects, having previously worked with Cameron on several Roger Corman movies. Two stages were used to construct the colony on LV-426, using miniature models that were on average six feet tall and three feet wide.[19] Filming the miniatures was difficult because of the weather; the wind would blow over the props, although it proved helpful to give the effect of weather on the planet. Cameron used these miniatures and several effects to make scenes look larger than they really were, including rear projection, mirrors, beam splitters, camera splits and foreground miniatures.[19]

The Alien suits were made more flexible and durable than the ones used in Alien, to expand on the creatures' movements and allow them to crawl and jump. Dancers, gymnasts and stunt men were hired to portray the Aliens. The translucent dome that gave the creature's head its sleek shape in Alien was eliminated because of its fragility at Cameron's insistence, exposing the ridged, spined cranium beneath.[20] Cameron also felt that Giger's cranium design was more visually interesting without the dome.[7]

Scenes involving the Alien queen were the most difficult to film, according to production staff. A life-sized mock-up was created by Stan Winston's company in the United States to see how it would operate. Once the testing was complete, the crew working on the queen flew to England and began work creating the final version. Standing at fourteen feet, it was operated using a mixture of puppeteers, control rods, hydraulics, cables, and a crane above to support it. Two puppeteers were inside the suit operating its arms, and sixteen were required to move it. All sequences involving the full size queen were filmed in-camera with no post-production manipulation.[19] Additionally, a miniature alien queen was used for certain shots.[21]

Aliens (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pretty cool, but that's it, in comparison to how much work had to be done a decade before?

(Cont... sorry, so much hypertext.)

dust1n

Zindīq
(cont.)

Prometheus contains approximately 1,300 digital effect shots.[112] The main effects studio was Moving Picture Company (MPC), which produced 420 of the shots.[117] Several other studios, including Weta Digital,[3] Fuel VFX,[143] Rising Sun Pictures, Luma Pictures, Lola Visual Effects, and Hammerhead Productions,[144] also produced effects shots for the film.

The creation of life from the disintegration of an Engineer in the film's opening scene was created by WETA Digital. The scene was difficult to produce because it had to convey the story of the Engineer's DNA breaking apart, reforming and recombining into Earth DNA in a limited span of time. The team focused on making the DNA stages distinct to convey its changing nature. Scott requested the studio to focus on the destruction occurring within the Engineer. A light color scheme was used for the Engineer's DNA and decayed fish spines were used as an image reference, while the infected DNA had a melted appearance. To find methods of depicting the DNA destruction, the team carved vein-like structures from silicone and pumped black ink and oils into them while filming the changes occurring over an extended period of time.[145]

A key scene involving a large 3D hologram star map, dubbed the Orrery, was inspired by the 1766 Joseph Wright painting A Philosopher Lecturing on the Orrery, in which a scientist displays a mechanical planetarium by candlelight. While discussing the necessity of a star map with Spaihts, Scott mentioned that he envisaged a physical representation being similar to the painting, although he was unaware of its title and described it as "circles in circles with a candle lit image". Using Scott's description, Spaihts located an image of the painting. Spaihts said, "making the leap from a star map, to an Enlightenment painting, and then back into the far future. [Scott's] mind just multiplexes in that way".[85] The Orrery was one of the most complex visual effects, contained 80–100 million polygons, and took several weeks to render as a single, complete shot.[137]

Prometheus (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Omg... yawn.

I agree. I just wish people didn't replace special effects with digitally constructed environments and events. A.) Computers don't make realistic looking thinks really and B.) The obsession with going all out is just depressing, the whole movie suffers. But I haven't seen a movie in a theater in years now, so maybe it's better?

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I thought Prometheus was lame....not nearly in the same league as Alien & Aliens for story quality.

Erebus

My top three are Donnie Darko, Pan's Labyrinth and The Crow. Out of those Pan's labyrinth probably just about pips the others into first place. I haven't seen a Del Toro film I didn't like.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
My favorite foreign film was Au Revoir, Les Enfants. A sad film about a Catholic school hiding a Jewish boy during WWII.

Titanic

a.f.i would say citzen kane is the greatest and imdb would say the godfather or shawshank redemption, i disagree on all of them, i would say one flew over the cuckoo nest is up there no the greatest but up there. the lion king is one of my personal favorite's.