• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hadith (Sayings of the Prophet pbuh)

Cordoba

On the authority of Abu Hurayrah (may Allah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace be upon him), from among the things he reports from his Lord (mighty and sublime be He), is that he said:

A servant [of Allah's] committed a sin and said: O Allah, forgive me my sin. And He (glorified and exalted be He) said: My servant has committed a sin and has known that he has a Lord who forgives sins and punishes for them. Then he sinned again and said: O Lord, forgive me my sin. And He (glorified and exalted be He) said: My servant has committed a sin and has known that he has a Lord who forgives sins and punishes for them. Then he sinned again and said: O Lord, forgive me my sin. And He (glorified and exalted be He) said: My servant has committed a sin and has known that he has a Lord who forgives sins and punishes for sins. Do what you wish, for I have forgiven you.

Hadith related by Muslim (also by al-Bukhari).

http://www.witness-pioneer.org/vil/hadeeth/hadithqudsi.html#hadith33

The lesson from this hadith is that the doors of God's Forgiveness and Mercy are always open, and that He accepts a sincere repentence from a believer, as He is The Most Merciful.

Peace

Quran & Sunnah
Abû Hurayrah relates that Allah’s Messenger (peace be upon him) said: “Allah is good and accepts nothing but what is good. Indeed, Allah commands the believers with what He commands the Messengers and says: ‘O Messengers! Eat of the things good and pure and work righteous deeds’ [Sûrah al-Mu’minûn: 51] and says: ‘O you who believe! Eat of the things good and pure that We have provided for you.’ [Sûrah al-Baqarah: 172]” Then he mentioned a man who had traveled on a long journey, his hair disheveled and discolored with dust. “He will raise his hands to the sky saying ‘O Lord! O Lord!’ but his food is unlawful, his drink is unlawful, and his clothing is unlawful. How then can he be answered?” [Sahîh Muslim]

This hadith sets forth a basic principle of Islam, that a Muslim must seek lawful provision for himself and avoid what is unlawful. It shows us that engaging in forbidden acts directly affects a Muslim’s relationship with Allah, so much so that his supplications and his good deeds may not be accepted from him.

Cordoba

On the authority of Anas (may Allah be pleased with him), who said: I heard the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) say: Allah the Almighty said:

O son of Adam, so long as you call upon Me and ask of Me, I shall forgive you for what you have done, and I shall not mind.

O son of Adam, were your sins to reach the clouds of the sky and were you then to ask forgiveness of Me, I would forgive you.

O son of Adam, were you to come to Me with sins nearly as great as the earth and were you then to face Me, ascribing no partner to Me, I would bring you forgiveness nearly as great at it.

Hadith related by at-Tirmidhi

http://www.witness-pioneer.org/vil/hadeeth/hadithqudsi.html#hadith34

Cordoba

On the authority of Abu Hurayrah (may Allah be pleased with him), who said that the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) said:

Allah said:

I have prepared for My righteous servants what no eye has seen and no ear has heard, not has it occurred to human heart. Thus recite if you wish: And no soul knows what joy for them (the inhabitants of Paradise) has been kept hidden (The Qur'an, 32:17).

Hadith related by al-Bukhari, Muslim, at-Tirmidhi and Ibn Majah.

http://www.witness-pioneer.org/vil/hadeeth/hadithqudsi.html#hadith37

Peace

Quran & Sunnah
Abû Hurayrah relates that Allah's Messenger (peace be upon him) said: “Whoever believes in Allah and the Last Day should speak a good word or remain silent. And whoever believes in Allah and the Last Day should show hospitality to his neighbor. And whoever believes in Allah and the Last Day should show hospitality to his guest [ Sahîh al-Bukhârî and Sahîh Muslim ]

This hadith discusses some of the ways a Muslim's faith should affect the way he relates to others. Ibn Hajar al-`Asqalânî writes: “This hadith speaks about three matters, and in doing so it brings together everything that good manners entail with respect to both word and deed.”

Peace

Quran & Sunnah
Abû Hurayrah relates that a man said to the Prophet (peace be upon him): “Counsel me.” The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “Do not get angry.” The man repeated his request many times, but the Prophet (peace be upon him) kept saying: “Do not get angry.” [ Sahîh al-Bukhârî ]

The importance of this hadith:

The secret behind this hadith's importance lies in the fact that the Prophet (peace be upon him) limited his counsel to this person in one short instruction: “Do not get angry.” Al-Nawawî informs us that Abû Muhammad `Abd Allah b. Abî Zayd said: “Everything that constitutes good manners can be derived from four hadith…” and mentioned among them the Prophet's statement “…to the one to whom he limited his counsel with: ‘Do not get angry'.”

This statement, given in this context, is rich in meaning. First, by limiting his counsel to this one short instruction, the Prophet (peace be upon us) indicates the importance of controlling one's anger, and that doing so has far-reaching implications for a person's welfare both in the worldly life and in the Hereafter.

Ibn Hajar, in his commentary on this hadith, observes:

The man stated his question repeatedly, hoping to solicit an answer that was more beneficial, or more explanatory, or more general; however he did not give him anything more than that.” [ Fath al-Bârî ]
Secondly, the categorical nature of this brief statement gives the prohibition sweeping implications – since it can be understood to indicate many things, for instance, that we should prevent ourselves from getting angry in the first place, and that we should forbid ourselves from acting according to the dictates of our anger in the event that we become angry.

www.Islamtoday.com

Peace

Quran & Sunnah
Abû Dharr al-Ghifârî and Mu`âdh b, Jabal relate that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “Fear Allah wherever you are. Follow up a bad deed with a good deed and it will blot it out. And deal with people in a good manner.” [ Sunan al-Tirmidhî ]

The fear of Allah

The Arabic word for the “fear of Allah” is taqwâ . It comes from the root word meaning “to protect from something, to prevent”. Indeed, a person exhibits the fear of Allah by seeking to prevent Allah's punishment by carrying out what Allah has commanded of him and abstaining from what Allah has prohibited him.

Allah had called upon all people in every era to fear Him. Allah says: “And We had enjoined upon those who were given the Scripture before – as well as yourselves – to fear Allah.” [ Sûrah al-Nisâ' : 131]

It is Allah's right over His servants that they fear Him as He ought to be feared. Allah says: “O you who believe! Fear Allah as He ought to be feared and do not die except as believers.” [ Sûrah Âl `Imrân : 102]

Ibn Mas`ûd explained what it means to fear Allah as He ought to be feared by saying: “It means that He is to be obeyed not disobeyed, remembered not forgotten, and shown gratitude not ingratitude.”

The fear of Allah is the path to forgiveness, salvation, and the attainment of Allah's mercy. Allah says:

“Indeed, Allah is with those who fear Him and those who do good.” [ Sûrah al-Nahl : 128]

“And My mercy encompasses all things, and I shall decree it for those who fear Me.” [ Sûrah al-A`râf : 156]

“He is worthy of being feared and worthy of granting forgiveness.” [ Sûrah al-Muddaththir : 56]

“And whoever fears Allah – He will pardon him his sins and grant him a great reward.” [ Sûrah al-Talâq : 5]

“Indeed, those who fear Allah will be among gardens and rivers, in a seat of truth near an All-Powerful Sovereign.” [ Sûrah al-Qamar : 54-55]

Allah promises those who fear Him that He will provide for their needs and grant them a way out of their worldly difficulties. Allah says: “And whoever fears Allah, He will make for him a way out, and provide for him from whence he could never imagine.” [ Sûrah al-Talâq : 2-3]

This is Allah's promise. We should draw strength from it when we are tried in life with difficulties that tempt us to resort to what Allah has forbidden.

Peace

Quran & Sunnah
Abû Hurayrah relates that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “Allah will ask on the Day of Judgment: ‘Where are those who loved each other for the sake of My glory? Today, - on a day when there is no shade but mine – I shall shade them with My shade.” [Sahîh Muslim (2566)]

Love is among the most exalted of human feelings. When this love is focused on Allah and forms the basis for our interpersonal relationships, many problems are transcended, and great fruits are harvested for society as a whole. The Qur’ân and Sunnah often speak about the noble status of those whom Allah graces to possess such love.

The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “Among Allah’s servants are people who are neither Prophets nor martyrs, but whom the Prophets and martyrs will deem fortunate because of their high status with Allah.”

They asked: “O Messenger of Allah! Inform us of who they are.”

He said: “They are people who loved each other for Allah’s sake, without being related to one another or being tied to one another by the exchange of wealth. By Allah, their faces will be luminous and they will be upon light. They will feel no fear when the people will be feeling fear and they will feel no grief when the people will be grieving.”

Then he read the verse: “Behold, on the friends of Allah there shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve.” [Sunan Abî Dâwûd (3527)]

Then we have the famous hadîth that enumerates the seven people who will enjoy Allah’s shade on a day when there is no shade but His. One of those mentioned are: “two men who love each other for the sake of Allah alone, meeting for that reason and parting for that reason.” [Sahîh al-Bukhârî (660) and Sahîh Muslim (1031)]

Love for Allah’s sake transcends the limits of our worldly existence, enduring into the life to come. Alah says: “Close friends on that Day will be foes to one another – except for the righteous.” [Sûrah al-Zukhruf: 67]

Loving one another for the sake of Allah and brotherhood in faith are among the most excellent acts of worship. This worship comes with conditions upon those who would love for the sake of Allah. This love has its duties that must be fulfilled so that the relationship will be pure and free of base undercurrents. Upholding these duties brings a servant nearer to Allah and to His pleasure and, over time, it can bring about a greater nobility of person.

Among the duties of this love are the following:

1. They must truly love to extend support and assistance to each other and must love good for one another. The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “None of you believes until he loves for his brother what he loves for himself.” [Sahîh al-Bukhârî (13) and Sahîh Muslim (45)]

2. They must enjoin each another to truth and patience and give each other sincere advice. They must enjoin what is right and the forbid what is wrong and guide each other. They must help one another in carrying out works of righteousness.

Allah says: “By time! Surely the human being is at loss. Except for those who have faith and do righteous deeds and exhort one another to truth and exhort one another to patience.” [Sûrah al-`Asr]

Allah also says: “The believing men and women are protecting friends of one another. They enjoin what is right and forbid what is wrong.” [Sûrah al-Tawbah: 71]

3. They must engage in the things that cultivate this love, strengthen interpersonal relationships, and facilitate the fulfilling of their duties to one another.

The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “A Muslim has six rights over another Muslim.”

They asked: “What are they, O Messenger of Allah?”

He said: “When you meet him, greet him with peace. When he invites you, accept his invitation. When he seeks your advice, advise him. When he sneezes and them praises Allah, invoke Allah’s blessings upon him. When he falls ill, visit him. When he dies, follow his funeral.” [Sahîh Muslim (2162)]

4. A Muslim has the right to kind treatment from his fellow Muslim. He should be greeted with a smile and given a pleasant reception.

The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “Do not view any good act as insignificant, even the act of greeting your brother with a smile on your face.” [Sahîh Muslim (2626)]

Discord and division should be avoided. Ibn Taymiyah said: “If every time two Muslims disagreed they shunned each another, then there would be no cooperation or brotherhood among Muslims.”

5. They must guide each other to what is good and help each other in acts of obedience. Likewise, they must prevent and discourage one another from falling into sin and iniquity.

The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “One should help his brother whether he is an oppressor or the one being oppressed. If he is an oppressor, forbid him from his oppression and in that way you help him. If he is being oppressed, then come to his aid.” [Sahîh Muslim (2584)]

6. The love between believers completes itself in a most wonderful and genuine manner when the two are away from each other, and each of them in secret prays to Allah for the other. This continues for the living one even after the other has departed from the Earth.

The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “A Muslim’s supplication for his brother in secret is answered. At his head an angel is appointed, and whenever he supplicates for his brother with something good, the angel appointed to him says: ‘Âmîn, and likewise for you’.” [Sahîh Muslim (2733)]

7. They must excuse one another’s mistakes and defend each other’s honor, never speaking ill of or deriding one another. They should keep each other’s secrets, advise one another sincerely, and never abuse each other.

The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “It is not permissible for one Muslim to distress an another.” [Sunan Abî Dâwûd (5004) and Musnad Ahmad (23064)]

Peace

Quran & Sunnah
Abû Hurayrah relates that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said “This religion is easy. No one becomes harsh and strict in the religion without it overwhelming him. So fulfill your duties as best you can and rejoice. Rely upon the efforts of the morning and the evening and a little at night and you will reach your goal.” [Sahîh al-Bukharî]

These words of the Prophet (peace be upon him) defines for us the concept of moderation in its proper Islamic context. When it comes to understanding the principles of Islamic Law, our definitions must be drawn from established sources and not purely from the discretion of the individual. Otherwise, our definition might yield a practical model that justifies nothing but itself. Many of our accepted and established principles have begun to take forms that represent only one narrow vision and that are unable to cope with the many demands of Islamic work and propagation.

The Prophet (peace be upon him) says: “This religion is easy.” Ease is moderation. So our religion is moderate and we as a nation of people are moderate.

Allah says: “Thus We have made you a moderate nation”. [Sûrah al-Baqarah: 143]

The Prophet (peace be upon him) then goes on to outline the defining qualities of moderation:

1. He says: “So fulfill your duties…” The Arabic word used is “saddadû” which literally means to aim to hit something on target, like how an arrow hits its mark. This tells us that moderation never entails going outside of Islamic Law. The rulings of Islamic Law must be derived from the Qur’ân and Sunnah. The idea of ease and moderation in no way implies a relaxation of Islamic Law, nor does it imply that a person can follow his own inclinations in either his religion or his general dealings. Therefore, if we lose sight of Islamic Law and its rulings, an important quality of moderation will invariably be lost.

2. Then he says: “…as best you can…” After providing the first quality of moderation, he complements it with this quality, so that those who are ill acquainted with the wisdom and purposes behind Islamic Law do not become insistent upon following a limited, personal vision in applying its rulings to themselves and others.

A person will not be able to fulfill his duties properly unless he realizes that he has limitations of mind and character that keep him from measuring up to those duties, no matter how clear and simple they may seem. Allah created Adam a creature with little self control. The human being cannot do anything perfectly without divine intervention, so this is why the Prophet (peace be upon him) says: “…as best you can”, to indicate that perfection is not what is expected.

We can go as far as to say that demanding perfection from people runs contrary to the principle of moderation that we are discussing. The principle of moderation requires us to recognize that perfection cannot be maintained or even achieved.

3. Then he says: “…and rejoice.” He does this after defining moderation with the idea of fulfilling one’s duties to the best of one’s ability, which defines moderation in an abstract sense. Then we are told to rejoice.

Since working for the religion is a way of fulfilling our duty to Allah and of obeying His Messenger, we can see the importance of the glad tidings being referred to in this hadîth. Most of the problems and difficulties that exist between people are the result of partisanship and biases rather than on matters that are necessitated by Islamic Law. This is why sincerity to Allah in our actions has to be one of the principles of moderation.

4. Finally, he says: “Rely upon the efforts of the morning and the evening and a little at night and you will reach your goal.” This shows us that one of the principles of moderation is to consider what is possible and to stay within those limits. This goes for an individual as well as for the environment in which he works. It also means that everyone should work within his own capacity and avoid being obstinate when dealing with others.

The principle of doing what is within one’s capabilities has both conceptual and practical dimensions. It means that we keep up our Islamic work while recognizing both the need for what we are doing and the limitations of our abilities. This gives us a good opportunity to embrace a large number of Islamic efforts of various types. We must never distance ourselves from others and their efforts unless they truly go against the established and indisputable principles and teachings of Islam. We should never do so on the basis of mere opinions and assumptions.

One of our problems is that the understanding of moderation that many people have does not comprise all four of these defining qualities. Some people overlook the need to adhere to Islamic Law in formulating their concept of moderation and come up with ideas that are ambiguous and ill-defined.

Others do just the opposite and go overboard in demanding perfection, though Allah demands from us only what is within our abilities, and that is with respect to the Law. Even less is expected of us in matters of juristic discretion. Today, however, many Muslims shun those who do not measure up to their opinions and views, and they are even more abhorrent to those who actually disagree with them.

It is regretful that they shun each other on the pretense of defending established Islamic principles – like the principle of moderation or the principle following the Qur’ân and Sunnah, or that of adhering to the ways of the pious predecessors. When they do this, they fail to make a distinction between the principles themselves and their own understanding of them. Therefore, they accuse each other of violating the principles of Islam without realizing that their disagreement has little to do with these principles, but more to do with their own interpretations.

The fact that many Islamic workers fail to understand the concept of moderation correctly is the reason why there is an inexcusable amount of confusion and contradictions to be found within the field of Islamic work today. We must praise Allah that, in spite of this problem, there is still a lot of good being carried out and there is still a lot of moderation and a lot that is praiseworthy.

Islamtoday.com

Cordoba

Narrated Anas bin Malik:

The Prophet said, "Facilitate things to people (concerning religious matters), and do not make it hard for them and give them good tidings and do not make them run away"

(Sahih Al-Bukhari, Volume 1, Book 3, Number 69)

Peace

Quran & Sunnah
Ibn `Abbâs relates that the Prophet (peace be upon him) used to say when he stood for the Tahajjud prayer: “O Allah! Yours is the praise. You are the sustainer of the heavens and the Earth and all that they contain. And Yours is the praise. Yours is the dominion of the heavens and the Earth and all that they contain. And Yours is the praise. You are the light of the heavens and the Earth and all that they contain. And Yours is the praise. You are the king of the heavens and the Earth. And Yours is the praise. You are the Truth. Your promise is true. The meeting with You is true. Your word is true. Paradise is true and the Fire is true. The prophets are true. Muhammad (peace be upon him) is true. The Hour is true. O Allah! To You I have surrendered. In You I believe. Upon You I rely. To You I repent. With you I present my argument. To you I appeal for judgment. So forgive me what preceded and what will follow, and what I have concealed and what I have revealed. You are the one who brings forward and the one who postpones. There is no god beside You.” [Sahîh al-Bukhârî (1120) and Sahîh Muslim (769)]

Cordoba

Narrated Abu Huraira:

The Prophet said,

"Religion is very easy and whoever overburdens himself in his religion will not be able to continue in that way.

So you should not be extremists, but try to be near to perfection and receive the good tidings that you will be rewarded; and gain strength by worshipping in the mornings, and the nights."

(Hadith in Al-Bukhari)

Cordoba

Narrated Ibn 'Abbas:

I heard the Prophet saying:

"If the son of Adam (the human being) had two valleys of money, he would wish for a third, for nothing can fill the belly of Adam's son except dust, and Allah forgives him who repents to Him."

(Hadith in Al-Bukhari)

Cordoba

Narrated 'Aisha:

The Prophet was asked, "What deeds are loved most by Allah?" He said, "The most regular constant deeds even though they may be few." He added, 'Don't take upon yourselves, except the deeds which are within your ability."

(Hadith in Al-Bukhari)

Peace

Quran & Sunnah
The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “Allah has pardoned my people for what they think in their minds as long as they do not speak about it or act upon it.” [Sahîh al-Bukhârî and Sahîh Muslim]

Many thoughts go through our hearts all the time. Whenever our hearts might take pause, they are again stirred into action whenever we see something or hear something, indeed whenever we encounter something with our senses. These thoughts continue to nag at our hearts until they are either firmly entrenched or forgotten.

The thoughts that remain in our hearts will either be good thoughts that elevate and purify or they will be bad thoughts that engender resentment and envy, thoughts that incite ignoble and sinful behavior.

The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “Indeed, in the body there is a piece of flesh – if it is in order, then the who body is in order, and if it is spoiled, the whole body is spoiled. It is the heart.” [Sahîh al-Bukhârî and Sahîh Muslim]

As long as we do not liberate those thoughts that are imprisoned in our hearts and set them forth for world to see by giving a voice to them, we will not be held to account for them. This is from Allah’s grace upon us, because we really are not capable of retraining our minds and preventing those many stray bad thoughts from passing through.

So we have it that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “Allah has pardoned for my people for what they think in their minds as long as they do not speak about it or act upon it.” [Sahîh al-Bukhârî and Sahîh Muslim]

This does not mean that we should give free reign to our minds to indulge in any line of thinking, so that the basest of thoughts can beset our beings and shake the very foundations of our resolve. As people, we are naturally prone to error and temptation, no matter how religious or knowledgeable we might be. Therefore, we must keep ourselves in order, moderate our thoughts, and push aside vain desires and suspicions. We must keep bad thoughts in check before they overwhelm us and force our tongues to speak, maybe backbiting or slandering someone, or maybe cursing someone else, or reminding someone of our charity to them.

Abû Sa`îd al-Khudrî relates that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “When a human being gets up in the morning, his limbs scold his tongue, saying: fear Allah with respect to us, for if you are upright then we will be upright, and if you are corrupt then we will be corrupt.” [Sunan al-Tirmidhî]

We are commanded by our faith to speak a good word or remain silent. We need, therefore, to think carefully before we speak. At the same time, this awareness sometimes takes people beset by a weakness of character to the point where they refrain from even speaking what is right. This means that on the one hand you find people who when they are impressed with something speak only worlds of resentment and envy and when they see something that needs correction, they merely wrap up their insults and slanders in a pretence of giving advice. At the other extreme, you find some people who are blessed with pure hearts but are tongue-tied and incapable of being a mirror to their fellows. When they see someone else speaking wrongly, they are unable to muster the courage to stop them. Instead they are prone to be aversely affected by what is said and start believing in their hearts the slanders they hear being levied against others.

Then there are others who are well-meaning and who sincerely wish to give good advice. However, they are harsh in their approach and sharp in their criticism. Instead of guiding others, they end up turning people away.

In order to protect our hearts and keep them on the straight path – and in order to keep them from becoming blind and surrounded by darkness – we must be able to confront those who slander others and spread rumors. We need to stop them and ask them what they hope to achieve by saying these things. We need to test the veracity of their claims that they are spreading around. If they then claim that all they want to do is to right the wrongs that they see, then we need to guide him respectfully to what is right and mention to him various ways of giving advice that are not harmful and insulting, that do not result in the breaking of friendships, family conflict, and social strife.

We should take note of the fact that backbiting, spreading rumors, and insulting people can take place by non-verbal means as well, like gesture of the hand or eye or like mocking the way somebody walks or how short somebody is.

Many thoughts that should remain unspoken manage to escape from our minds as words and then spread like a disease through society, causing injury to people, destroying the love that exists between them, and fostering enmity. Hearts are soured and family ties are severed.

Allah says: “O ye who believe! Shun much suspicion; for lo! some suspicion is a crime. And spy not, neither backbite one another. Would one of you love to eat the flesh of his dead brother? Ye abhor that (so abhor the other)! And keep your duty (to Allah). Lo! Allah is Relenting, Merciful.” [Sûrah al-Hujurât: 12]

It is high time that these thoughts are restrained and that these rumors are buried. We should not entertain at our dinner tables disparaging conversations about others. At the same time, we need to liberate the good word from bondage, words that Satan would make us hesitant to utter out of fear as to how others will react.

The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “If someone loves his brother, then he should tell him.” [Sunan al-Tirmidhî]

Once when the Prophet (peace be upon him) was with someone, a man passed by and said: “O Messenger of Allah, I love that person.”

The Prophet (peace be upon him) asked: “Have you told him?”

He replied: “No.”

The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “Then do so.”

So the man went to the other and said: “I love you for the sake of Allah.”

The other replied: “May He love you for whose sake you love me.” [Sunan Abî Dâwûd

Cordoba

Real Wealth

Narrated Abu Huraira:

The Prophet said, "Wealth does not mean having a great amount of property, but real wealth is in self-contentment."

(Hadith in Al-Bukhari)

Cordoba

Remember Your Blessings

Narrated Abu Huraira:

Allah's Apostle said, "If anyone of you looked at a person who was made superior to him in property and (in good) appearance, then he should also look at the one who is inferior to him, and to whom he has been made superior."

(Hadith in Al-Bukhari)

That by the way is one of the main ways for turning away any idea of envy: to remember those who have less or those who have nothing.

All the best.

Peace

Quran & Sunnah
`Umar b Abî Salamah relates that the Prophet (peace be upon him) had told him: “Child, invoke Allah’s name, eat with your right hand, and eat from what is in front of you.” [Sahîh al-Bukhârî (5376) and Sahîh Muslim (2022)]

This is how the Prophet (peace be upon him) reacted when `Umar b. Abî Salamah – a child eating in his company – was making a scene at the table setting, hastily grabbing food from here and there on the serving platter.

The Prophet (peace be upon him) is our chief example for how we should bring up our children. He did not use harsh words with the boy or hit him. Instead, he gently explained to him what the proper table manners were. Indeed, he turned the incident into an opportunity for instruction.

We need to keep in mind that all human beings are prone to make mistakes. It is in our natures to err, regardless of whether we are young or old. It is by making mistakes that people learn.

When our interactions with our children are based solely upon censure, without giving guidance and direction as well, we are the ones making the mistake. It is a mistake in the way we are raising our children that can have a very negative effect on their personalities. Such a one-sided approach is wrong, whether our censure is purely verbal – “You don’t understand anything!” “You are a moron!” – or a physical beating.

By conducting ourselves in this way, we make our children’s mistakes a cause for us to shatter their self-esteem. We weaken their developing abilities and their self-confidence. This can lead to psychological problems like introversion and fear. It is a reason some small children to suffer from bed-wetting and have impaired speech patterns.

As children grow up, they retain in their memories those various humiliating punishments and feel resentment towards those who had used such an approach with them. Worse still, when they grow up, he might relate to others in the same way.

Therefore, we should pause before rebuking our children and ask ourselves the following:

1. Did we teach our children the correct way to conduct themselves in this situation?

2. Will hitting them and using harsh words with them really instruct them and bring about the desired improvement?

We need to follow the Prophet’s example and turn our children’s mistakes into opportunities for instruction and for their personal development. We need to do the following:

1. It is imperative to restore the child’s confidence after the child makes a mistake. This confidence is what builds strong barrier against the child repeating the same mistake in the future.

2. We need to inform the child of the proper mode of conduct for the situation in question.

3. We need to teach the child to bear the responsibility for his or her mistakes. This develops the child’s inner proficiency. If a child breaks a glass, do not get upset. Be calm and have the child assist in cleaning up the mess. Correct the child gently and then show the child the proper way to hold the glass.

4. We need to smile or maintain a pleasant countenance when impressing upon a child that he or she has made a mistake.

5. It is important for us to make a clear distinction between the mistake and the child who committed it.

6. It is important for us to develop within the child the ability to clearly recognize mistakes on his own.

7. We need to listen to the child carefully and closely in order to understand the source of the mistake.

8. We must not allow the child to succumb to the fear of failure.

9. We must not grow despondent when the child repeats the same mistake over and over again.

Love and forbearance are far more effective in dealing with children than anger and frustration. We need to be an example for our children in all aspects of life.

We need to do our utmost to make our relationship with our children one of love and affection so they will readily learn from us what is correct.

islamtoday.com

Cordoba

Narrated Abu Musa:

The Prophet said, "Whoever loves the meeting with Allah, Allah too, loves the meeting with him; and whoever hates the meeting with Allah, Allah too, hates the meeting with him."

(Hadith in Al-Bukhari)

Cordoba

Narrated Jarir bin 'Abdullah:

The Prophet said, "He who is not merciful to others, will not be treated mercifully.

(Hadith in Al-Bukhari)