• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Have you read your holy book

Have you read your holy book cover to cover

• Total voters

Truth in love

Inspired by a conversation with @Mark Charles Compton about whether Christians actually read the bible.

@Mark Charles Compton suggests that in his experience the majority of Christians have read the entire bible though it may differ by denomination. While my view again based on experience is that very few Christians have actually read the bible and are satisfied with snippets handed to them, so long as those snippets.meet their expectations.

Here i am going to expand the idea across all religions. First I ask for a simple Yes/No answer to the questionnaire then add a quick post naming which of the Bible, Qur'an, Gita, Torah, Guru Granth Sahib, Tripitaka or other named holy book of your religion you have read cover to cover.

Edit for clarity.

Some faiths have more (many more) than one book, for these, full read of the book(s) you consider most important will suffice for a tes vote
I have. I will admit some sections I was a bit slack on as a teenager, but others I'm at 30+ reads.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Inspired by a conversation with @Mark Charles Compton about whether Christians actually read the bible.

@Mark Charles Compton suggests that in his experience the majority of Christians have read the entire bible though it may differ by denomination. While my view again based on experience is that very few Christians have actually read the bible and are satisfied with snippets handed to them, so long as those snippets.meet their expectations.

Here i am going to expand the idea across all religions. First I ask for a simple Yes/No answer to the questionnaire then add a quick post naming which of the Bible, Qur'an, Gita, Torah, Guru Granth Sahib, Tripitaka or other named holy book of your religion you have read cover to cover.

Edit for clarity.

Some faiths have more (many more) than one book, for these, full read of the book(s) you consider most important will suffice for a tes vote

Reading is one thing. Sometimes reading the whole thing is its own status symbol. Comprehending and putting it to good use is a whole different thing, and probably done less than just the reading itself. I have read the Bible twice through, the Satanic Bible and Quran once through, and will be working on others in the future.

Viker

Your beloved eccentric Auntie Cristal
I've read extensively books and materials relevant to my path. I still read and research from others. I've found myself writing my own 'holy' books recently. Not sure if I would/should publish my own stuff.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member

Edit for clarity.

I have met numerous preachers who have never read the Bible that they preach on.

I don't consider myself exclusively Christian. I know love and compassion are not unique to one belief system vs another.

I have read the Bible many times from cover to cover. I have used at a minimum 5 different interpretations. I purposely did this to get the difference in translations. The more I read it, the more intricacy I became aware of. I have read a few other religious books. My discussions here and the ideas others have posted have been of immense help in finding what I was looking for. that I thought to be in some other place. I found it in me. It was always here. The power to be a friend, love.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Excuse my ignorance, but what's wrong with the book of Numbers?
Have you read it? The numbers part is not real fun reading.
A little sample:
20 From the descendants of Reuben the firstborn son of Israel:

All the men twenty years old or more who were able to serve in the army were listed by name, one by one, according to the records of their clans and families. 21 The number from the tribe of Reuben was 46,500.

22 From the descendants of Simeon:

All the men twenty years old or more who were able to serve in the army were counted and listed by name, one by one, according to the records of their clans and families. 23 The number from the tribe of Simeon was 59,300.

24 From the descendants of Gad:

All the men twenty years old or more who were able to serve in the army were listed by name, according to the records of their clans and families. 25 The number from the tribe of Gad was 45,650.

26 From the descendants of Judah:

All the men twenty years old or more who were able to serve in the army were listed by name, according to the records of their clans and families. 27 The number from the tribe of Judah was 74,600.

28 From the descendants of Issachar:

All the men twenty years old or more who were able to serve in the army were listed by name, according to the records of their clans and families. 29 The number from the tribe of Issachar was 54,400.

30 From the descendants of Zebulun:

All the men twenty years old or more who were able to serve in the army were listed by name, according to the records of their clans and families. 31 The number from the tribe of Zebulun was 57,400.

32 From the sons of Joseph:

You get the idea.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Have you read it? The numbers part is not real fun reading.
A little sample:
20 From the descendants of Reuben the firstborn son of Israel:

All the men twenty years old or more who were able to serve in the army were listed by name, one by one, according to the records of their clans and families. 21 The number from the tribe of Reuben was 46,500.

22 From the descendants of Simeon:

All the men twenty years old or more who were able to serve in the army were counted and listed by name, one by one, according to the records of their clans and families. 23 The number from the tribe of Simeon was 59,300.

24 From the descendants of Gad:

All the men twenty years old or more who were able to serve in the army were listed by name, according to the records of their clans and families. 25 The number from the tribe of Gad was 45,650.

26 From the descendants of Judah:

All the men twenty years old or more who were able to serve in the army were listed by name, according to the records of their clans and families. 27 The number from the tribe of Judah was 74,600.

28 From the descendants of Issachar:

All the men twenty years old or more who were able to serve in the army were listed by name, according to the records of their clans and families. 29 The number from the tribe of Issachar was 54,400.

30 From the descendants of Zebulun:

All the men twenty years old or more who were able to serve in the army were listed by name, according to the records of their clans and families. 31 The number from the tribe of Zebulun was 57,400.

32 From the sons of Joseph:

You get the idea.

No, I haven't read it. :) That's why I asked.

I can see why its not your go-to book.

Mark Charles Compton

Pineal Peruser
No, I haven't read it. :) That's why I asked.
I think there's a lot of symbolism that I don't wholly understand interwoven throughout the whole chapter...

If I were to wager a couple guesses, the symbolism might reveal the procedures they used for chemistry (alchemy at the time)¹ and astronomy (or astrology at the time) primarily involving vinegar and wine making, possibly a mobile mercury extraction lab, and of course the tracking of the lunar cycles.

¹It's believed by some that chemistry which was derived from the less developed alchemy was learned from the master of the land of Khem (possibly biblical Ham?) also known as Kmt also known as Egypt.

Vinidra

Jai Mata Di!
I have read the full Chandi Path, all of the Devi Gita, and some of the Vedas.

I have not read the entire Devi Bhagavatam, though. (The Devi Gita is just one part of the full Devi Bhagavatam.)

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
I've read extensively books and materials relevant to my path. I still read and research from others. I've found myself writing my own 'holy' books recently. Not sure if I would/should publish my own stuff.

Can you list a few from your path please? That's cool to write your own.

Viker

Your beloved eccentric Auntie Cristal
Can you list a few from your path please? That's cool to write your own.

I began with the Satanic Bible (various Laveyan works), the Witch's Bible (Frost) and Buckland's, of course. I moved onto correspondence with various theistic Satanists and independent practitioners in witchcraft, magick, etc.

firedragon

Veteran Member
I have read the full Chandi Path, all of the Devi Gita, and some of the Vedas.

I have not read the entire Devi Bhagavatam, though. (The Devi Gita is just one part of the full Devi Bhagavatam.)

I have never read the Chandi Path, nor the Devi Bhagavatam. I mean zilch. Not even a page. I would like to ask you if there is a website where I could download both or read them as it is. If you could help, I will be grateful. Thank you so much.

Vinidra

Jai Mata Di!
I have never read the Chandi Path, nor the Devi Bhagavatam. I mean zilch. Not even a page. I would like to ask you if there is a website where I could download both or read them as it is. If you could help, I will be grateful. Thank you so much.

Sacred Texts has the Devi Bhagavatam and the Devi Gita, which is an excerpt from the Devi Bhagavatam.

A quick Google search didn't give me the full text of the Chandi online in English, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist somewhere. This one is the translation that I have.

Hope that helps!

firedragon

Veteran Member
Sacred Texts has the Devi Bhagavatam and the Devi Gita, which is an excerpt from the Devi Bhagavatam.

A quick Google search didn't give me the full text of the Chandi online in English, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist somewhere. This one is the translation that I have.

Hope that helps!

Okay Vnidra. Thank you so much. I have limited budget because I have just spent too much on books.

Anyway, I don't necessarily need a translation. Even if it's in Sanskrit its okay I suppose. But no problem. I will find something.

Cheers.

InChrist

Free4ever

Edit for clarity.

I have read through the entire Bible a few times. I read the scriptures almost daily, usually reading through one book at a time or sometimes two; one in the OT and one the NT. Now I am reading in Psalms and Romans.

JIMMY12345

Edit for clarity.

In schools religious coverage is comprehensive.In our school we had Hindu's Muslim's who attended christian services.In turn as part of RE we learnt about Judaism,Hinduism,Islam etc.As we leave school there is less time - for any sort of reading

Stonetree

Abducted Member
Premium Member

Edit for clarity.

I've read the New Testament of the Christian Bible more often than the Old Testament. Unfortunately, I don't trust the validity of Scripture. I've lived life following the philosophy I think was taught by the carpenter's son. I don't believe Scripture to be the word of God.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I've read the New Testament of the Christian Bible more often than the Old Testament. Unfortunately, I don't trust the validity of Scripture. I've lived life following the philosophy I think was taught by the carpenter's son. I don't believe Scripture to be the word of God.
" I don't believe Scripture to be the word of God "

I agree with one here. The Gospels (NT) is neither a direct first person Converse from G-d nor even written by Jesus himself. It is a third person narrative from the anonymous writers.

Regards

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
I’ve read all my Holy Books many times over. There is one main Holy Book then there are other compilations which are the size of books in themselves. In addition I’ve read and studied much of the Holy Books of the major Faiths especially pertaining to prophecies about their future Promised One because I believe their Messiah or Teacher has reappeared with Baha’u’llah.