• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Have you read your holy book

Have you read your holy book cover to cover

• Total voters

paradox

(㇏(•̀ᵥᵥ•́)ノ)
Ok, suppose my exoteric is not valid.

how do I know your is valid? How are you different from me, my Muslim friend, and all people who believed in gods completely at odds with yours?

ciao

- viole
I'm not saying that my religion is right and yours is wrong or that your exoteric faith system is not valid, far from that, esotericism isn't about debating someone of the opposite view.
esotericisms isn't about what is true and what is false, but rather about secrets and knowing which masses can't understand. every religion has such properties.

Semmelweis Reflex

Antivaxxer
From the replies on this thread it does seem that several religions are dedicated to reading their holy books,. I am not surprised about Islam, i am enlightened to some others.

It seems to me that the religion least dedicated to their "entire" book is christianity, which is no big surprise, i am only surprised that more christians read the bible than i imagined.

In my view you are quite exceptional in your study.

Oh. And welcome to RF

Thank you, Christine. It has been my personal experience that the Bible isn't important to many Christians because the religion itself, in a traditional, cultural, social or ideological sense, becomes more important than the original teachings. I don't think this is a phenomenon exclusive to that religion. Here is how I think religion works. A belief, philosophy or subjective fact dependent upon faith is proposed and then propagated to the masses. If those are widely accepted they become useful tools for social and political means. Typically the original teachings of the religion are distorted in the process which, through a gradual and insidious process of cultural, social and traditional influence, becomes the paradigm. You see this in the Emperor Constantine the Great's politicization of Christianity and the Nicaean creed. You see it with the Emperor Wu Ti's promotion of Confucianism and interest in Taoism. Shintoism was named as such due to a need for a distinction between ancient Japanese cultural ritualistic festivals during the planting and harvesting seasons and the newly introduced Buddhism from India. It was then incorporated into the mythological instruction of Japanese youth through the legends of the Nihongi and Kojiki by the Royal family.

That can be confusing, but maybe it isn't even exclusive to religion itself, but applies itself to atheistic, secular, political and cultural oriented groups. Just my thoughts.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
From the replies on this thread it does seem that several religions are dedicated to reading their holy books,. I am not surprised about Islam, i am enlightened to some others.

It seems to me that the religion least dedicated to their "entire" book is christianity, which is no big surprise, i am only surprised that more christians read the bible than i imagined.
The thing is, you are reading posts in a religious forum -- people come here out of interest in religion itself. I have a very strong feeling (garnered from thousands of real-life conversations) that most Christians that I know a) don't post on religious forums and b) don't actually read the Bible much at all.

Having had far fewer such conversations with adherents of other religions, I can't make the same guesstimate about them.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
The thing is, you are reading posts in a religious forum -- people come here out of interest in religion itself. I have a very strong feeling (garnered from thousands of real-life conversations) that most Christians that I know a) don't post on religious forums and b) don't actually read the Bible much at all.

Having had far fewer such conversations with adherents of other religions, I can't make the same guesstimate about them.

For christians that's how i see it too.

All the Muslims i know except one do read their Qur'an and Hadith's

And Seikhs read their Granth on special occasions.

I wasn't so sure about others

Last edited:

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
For christians that's how i see it too.

All the Muslims i know except one do read their Qur'an and Hadith's

And Seikhs read their Granth on special occasions.

I wasn't so sure about others

You are correct about Quran (most Muslims read it). You aren't correct about hadiths. Unfortunately, most people have not read most hadiths.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I have read Bible and Quran as well but cannot say thoroughly. I am aware of what I considered important, but never cared for the stories and sayings of so-called prophets and prophecies. After all, I am an atheist.

firedragon

Veteran Member
I have not counted.

No problem. Let me cut to the chase.

In the Sunni tradition alone, there are ahadith in thanaawioon, awaalia, thaalith, categories alone books numbering up to 60. There are over 100,000 ahadith only in those. If you read ahadith for 30 years straight, you can accomplish this. And this is excluding all the Shii ahadith which is also another 45 or 50 entire books.

Also, when I say books it is not individual books. Some of them are collections.

Peace.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
No problem. Let me cut to the chase.

In the Sunni tradition alone, there are ahadith in thanaawioon, awaalia, thaalith, categories alone books numbering up to 60. There are over 100,000 ahadith only in those. If you read ahadith for 30 years straight, you can accomplish this. And this is excluding all the Shii ahadith which is also another 45 or 50 entire books.

Also, when I say books it is not individual books. Some of them are collections.

Peace.

100 books is not too much time compared to how much we spend on meaningless things.

firedragon

Veteran Member
100 books is not too much time compared to how much we spend on meaningless things.

Bro. It's practically impossible. Its not just 100 books. Its collections, and books, amounting to maybe 300,000 ahadith. Or more.

And if you invent a human being who wants to read all the ahadith in 30 years straight, any baby or scholar who have read ahadith with know that this type of hyper speed reading will not allow you to remember any ahadith. Its like a dumb terminal processing data. And that will be one human being. A super human being. Who has no knowledge on any ahadith, just speed read through them. It's absurd.

Nonsensical argument brother. I don't understand why you are making such arguments like this. You have a better brain on you.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Bro. It's practically impossible. Its not just 100 books. Its collections, and books, amounting to maybe 300,000 ahadith. Or more.

And if you invent a human being who wants to read all the ahadith in 30 years straight, any baby or scholar who have read ahadith with know that this type of hyper speed reading will not allow you to remember any ahadith. Its like a dumb terminal processing data. And that will be one human being. A super human being. Who has no knowledge on any ahadith, just speed read through them. It's absurd.

Nonsensical argument brother. I don't understand why you are making such arguments like this. You have a better brain on you.

Brother, it won't take that long.