• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Her penis" - not at all Orwellian - argh

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Of course not! But you seemed bent on defending the "her penis" utterance anyway.
I did?
When?
Post number or apologize.

I was hoping, based on the OP, that this thread was about how the use of the term "her penis" triggers you.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
We both know that the article in your OP is just your excuse to rail about trans people in general.
Okay, one of the first rules of actual debates and discussions is to avoid strawman arguments. You're not off to a good start. Do you think that spouting strawman arguments is somehow a good look? That it somehow endears you to anyone thoughtful?

I'm responding to a thread where, when confronted with a news story about a trial for indecent exposure, your problem wasn't the crime; your problem was with the fact that officers of the court used the phrase "her penis."
That really was NOT the point of the article. As an act of good faith, I'll tell you that the POINT of the article is that many mainsteam journalists are now routinely communicating the phrase "her penis". The exhibitionist in question was just the first example of many provided in the article.

It also happens that the title of the thread is not about the perp but about the phrase.

icehorse

Premium Member
I did?
When?
Post number or apologize.

I was hoping, based on the OP, that this thread was about how the use of the term "her penis" triggers you.

Do you think the phrase is a useful one to use in journalism?

What concerns me (I promise I'm not triggered ;) ), is the normalizing of such fundamental lies in society. And if you care about maintaining a civil society you also ought to be concerned when we're meant to accept that 2 + 2 = 5 or that "she" has a penis.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
That really was NOT the point of the article.

I was talking about your original post: just a link and you complaining about the phrase "her penis."

As an act of good faith, I'll tell you that the POINT of the article is that many mainsteam journalists are now routinely communicating the phrase "her penis".

Right: it was that use of language that got you all worked up.

The exhibitionist in question was just the first example of many provided in the article.

It also happens that the title of the thread is not about the perp but about the phrase.
As I said.

McBell

Admiral Obvious

What concerns me (I promise I'm not triggered ;) ), is the normalizing of such fundamental lies in society. And if you care about maintaining a civil society you also ought to be concerned when we're meant to accept that 2 + 2 = 5 or that "she" has a penis.
the phrase is in keeping up with the cultural and political "correctness" of the time and location.
I seriously doubt they gave a single thought about accuracy of the phrase.

Now given in the medical and biological worlds the accuracy of the term is still being debated...

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

Sounds like you've decided that your prejudices are authoritative for everyone else.

BTW: what's with your beef with trans women? Did your wife run off with a trans woman or sonething?

icehorse

Premium Member
Sounds like you've decided that your prejudices are authoritative for everyone else.
I'm prejudiced against lying. 2 + 2 does not equal 5, and women do not have penises.

BTW: what's with your beef with trans women? Did your wife run off with a trans woman or sonething?
Another strawman, you gotta up your game.

Anyway, I have no beef with trans women. I have a beef with the phrase "a trans woman is a woman".

I have a beef with normalizing such fundamental lies.

Treasure Hunter

Treasure Hunter

It’s chaos. It’s a question of “Do we want to flood the social world with chaos?” because there are a segment of people who do want that and not for the sake of generative production.
Continuing, how does chaos feel to a child? Are you sure this should be irrelevant, those of you defending ideas like “her penis”?