• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Her penis" - not at all Orwellian - argh

Alien826

No religious beliefs
Again, why would establishing trans pronouns be bad for trans people?

Answer that, and I'll respond to what you just said...

Not addressed to me, but I've been thinking about it. Attempting to put myself in the place of a trans woman pre treatment*, I assume I feel like a woman trapped in a man's body. I'm really and truly in every way that matters to me, a woman. If I had a magic wand, I would change myself totally into a "real" woman, DNA and all.

So, given the impossibility of that, what's the best I can hope for? To be accepted and treated as a woman in every way. That would not include having something applied to me (pronouns in this case) that forever identify me as some kind of weird halfway being. There's the harm, imo.

(*I admit I'm groping in the dark here, and welcome correction by anyone with direct experience).

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
I'm assuming the first quote above is the answer you're referring to? (Next time providing a post # would be useful.)

Sex is 99.999% binary. For all practical purposes, sex is binary. And when it comes to women's rights to safety, sports, and privacy, sex matters much more than a person's "gender identity".

So again, how would trans-specific pronouns hurt trans people? I think it would help because currently trans activists are demanding that people lie, and that's never going to be a good solution.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
This is interesting. What am I to make of it?

It's apparent that this particular person is firmly on one side of the question. Fair enough. What I took from it, which she may not have intended, is that current medical opinion is divided on the matter. Again fair enough. Medical history is littered with bad treatments that were firmly believed to be good and of course the reverse. In the end, they get settled, and the "best" answer is found.

So what is my conclusion? That the ultimate answers must come from doctors, not politicians, religious leaders, or people like me, sitting at my keyboard.
Yup. But sometimes doctors get corrupted. So it's more than fair to ask for high quality evidence, especially when the "treatments" are so, so dangerous. The meta studies I've read all conclude that the evidence supporting trans medicine is of very low quality.

icehorse

Premium Member
Not addressed to me, but I've been thinking about it. Attempting to put myself in the place of a trans woman pre treatment*, I assume I feel like a woman trapped in a man's body. I'm really and truly in every way that matters to me, a woman. If I had a magic wand, I would change myself totally into a "real" woman, DNA and all.

So, given the impossibility of that, what's the best I can hope for? To be accepted and treated as a woman in every way. That would not include having something applied to me (pronouns in this case) that forever identify me as some kind of weird halfway being. There's the harm, imo.

(*I admit I'm groping in the dark here, and welcome correction by anyone with direct experience).

I continue to appreciate your thoughtfulness!

To oversimplify a bit, in the old days, most trans women wanted to look like women, to fit in. That's still true, sometimes. But these days a lot of trans women make no efforts to look like women, and some state their explicit goal is to shock people. E.g. men in dresses with full beards. It's called gender f#@k. (if you search for it, be prepared)

As for the "halfway being", hmmm. There are countless mental conditions. If someone has ADHD, or PTSD, or autism, or... we say so. Transgenderism is a mental condition. It doesn't diminish the seriousness of it to say so.

Here's a video. It's meant to be funny, but it's also a bit cautionary concerning some of the unexpected, problematic consequences of trying to warp reality via pronouns:

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
A huge issue with perspective here is that horse is hanging "women" entirely on the hanger of ciswomen, while simultaneously invalidating transwomen. Which completely blows past that in an everyday social setting, transwomen face the issues of both transpeople and many of the same as women.

This whole "safe space" issue is a fabrication misdirection. We know it's not about the bathrooms, if it was then Nex would still be alive. But it's not. It's about devaluing and dehumanizing trans lives.

icehorse

Premium Member
A huge issue with perspective here is that horse is hanging "women" entirely on the hanger of ciswomen, while simultaneously invalidating transwomen. Which completely blows past that in an everyday social setting, transwomen face the issues of both transpeople and many of the same as women.

This whole "safe space" issue is a fabrication misdirection. We know it's not about the bathrooms, if it was then Nex would still be alive. But it's not. It's about devaluing and dehumanizing trans lives.
"cis" is one of those words with fluid definitions. Please tell us how you're using "cis"? thanks.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

Add to this his treating the rare & the hypothetical
as mainstream & common, thereby being the full picture.

Last edited: