• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Historical Accuracy in Scripture

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Staff member
Premium Member
I didn't imply it's all allegory, nor do I believe it is.

The issue of "divine" and in which way is conjectural, as is "salvation", as there's different ways to look at them. I'm more concerned what the teachings are and whether they're useful today and tomorrow.

BTW, consider using the quote option as I almost missed your post.
It was more directed to the nature of the OP, I didn’t read the previous posts. Thanks for your response though!

Eli G

Any education can be indoctrination... It is undoubtedly ridiculous to make someone believe that if they do not go to university they will be indoctrinated or they will not be a cultured and educated person, and if they go to university they will not be. Psss, the things we are forced to read online!!!! :rolleyes:

Most likely, not even the vast majority of those who make so much apology for higher education here, just with the aim of showing contempt for believers and offending them by calling them ignorant, have taken a higher course in their entire lives... :cool:

The administration of internet forums should censor atheist posts with that line of argument... and deprogram all bots with that kind of offensive comments in their databases, so they can not post that kind of insults against other real forumers any more.

Audie

Veteran Member
That's bahais' erroneus perspective.

Jesus said:

Matt. 24:37 For just as the days of Noah were, so the presence of the Son of man will be. 38 For as they were in those days before the Flood, eating and drinking, men marrying and women being given in marriage, until the day that Noah entered into the ark, 39 and they took no note until the Flood came and swept them all away, so the presence of the Son of man will be.

So, if there is someone who says that the Flood was not a historical event, he is not a follower of Jesus (for not believing his words) but a follower of Baháʼu'lláh or simply an atheist.
Or one of the millions of EDUCATED Christians
who understand the "flood" did
not happen, as proved 10,000 times over.

Some followers of themselves think
they know more geology, physics, biology,
chemistry than any researcher on earth.

Eli G

True Christians are educated by Christ (which is why they bear his name), not by the world.

Mark 8:38 For whoever becomes ashamed of me and my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, the Son of man will also be ashamed of him when he comes in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.”

Denying the Flood as a real event is denying Jesus in order to side with the world and the false knowledge of it.

Matt. 24:37 For just as the days of Noah were, so the presence of the Son of man will be. 38 For as they were in those days before the Flood, eating and drinking, men marrying and women being given in marriage, until the day that Noah entered into the ark, 39 and they took no note until the Flood came and swept them all away, so the presence of the Son of man will be.

That attitude is very common in Christendom: to negate Jesus and posing as Christians.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
A large part of the universal history that we know was obtained from the Bible
A large part of what we know about one small corner of 'the universal history' was obtained from the Tanakh ─ a corner retrospectively relevant to cultures affected by Abrahamic religion. Even in the 21st century its relevance to India and most of Asia is very slight, for instance.

Some of it is religious folklore, some of it is folk-history and overlaps with real history in places, and some of it is informative of the politics practices and some events of particular times and places. It also gives some insight into the politics and political concerns in some cases.

It derives some its early lore from Semitic Mesopotamia, and that lore was greatly influenced by the lore of the earlier Sumerian culture. It's of interest that Abraham is said to have come from Ur, a Sumerian town with Semitic presences; but that doesn't remove Abraham from the 'legendary' list.

and was verified through documents and pieces unearthed in subsequent excavations in biblical places.
And falsified too, by history and archaeology, of course. Was there a real Abraham? A real Moses? Was there even an Egyptian Captivity? Where is the archaeological record of Solomon's reign? Was he a great king, or a local leader elevated in later stories? We'll find the correct answers in the ground and to some extent in ancient writings.
Although atheists today try to discredit the Bible as a reliable document, modern knowledge and science are based on the Bible and the scientific work of thousands of believing men in the past.
No, we find the roots of Western culture among the Greeks, who following Alexander's conquest were a great influence on the Jewish peoples. Philosophy, maths, literature, art, architecture, ideals of beauty and symmetry, medicine, the interrogating and debating of ideas, even one of the earliest coherent 'description' of the Classical underworld (Plato's 'Myth of Er'). The Christian idea of souls is Greek (the Jewish tradition begin resurrection). Neo-platonism, and the recovery of lost Greek influences via the Muslim empire in Spain, triggered the renaissance, and led in time to the Enlightenment.

So it's not a matter of dismissing the Tanakh and the NT as (quite separate) historical records, which they are of their kind, but of getting the history of our own civilization, and then the history of the world's other civilizations, into perspective.

Eli G

So it's not a matter of dismissing the Tanakh and the NT as (quite separate) historical records, which they are of their kind, but of getting the history of our own civilization, and then the history of the world's other civilizations, into perspective.
I have not said the opposite. That is precisely what I have been saying. Neither is the Bible a Science book, nor does it include every aspect of Human History, but only what was related to the line that goes from Adam to Jesus, and then the first century followers of Jesus. But in that context we learn about Egypt, Babylon, the Medo-Persian empire, the Greek empire, and then the Roman empire. If you knew how much we Jehovah's Witnesses study these ancient empires and their different kings at different stages of the ancient history of God's people, you would understand what I mean.

But most critics of Jehovah's Witnesses have no idea how educated we are in these topics. It's embarrassing to have to read them say so many things that they really don't know anything about, just in order to talk more. I feel sorry to see how many people have been indoctrinated to hate and despise believers without knowing anything factual about them. :facepalm:

PS: Consult our official website and you will have just a little piece of our high education in dozens of scientific, social, historical topics, etc. Actually, it is the most translated website of the entire network: in more than 1000 languages, like no other website you may know, nor scientific, political, religious institutions... not even universities.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Then what can you know better than me, a real Christian, about Christians?

Just ask and you will know first hand ... Don't teach me about Christians or Christianism. ;)
It has nothing to do with "knowing about Christians." It has to do with knowing how God works, and especially, how God does NOT work.

Are you claiming that Christians hear the voice of God with their ears?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
:cool:

The administration of internet forums should censor atheist posts with that line of argument... and deprogram all bots with that kind of offensive comments in their databases, so they can not post that kind of insults against other real forumers any more.
Huh? What's an 'atheist post', and what are atheists saying that you disagree with?
What are these insults you speak of? Are they false?

Eli G

It has nothing to do with "knowing about Christians." It has to do with knowing how God works, and especially, how God does NOT work.

Are you claiming that Christians hear the voice of God with their ears?
We can know from Jesus learning from his words that are registered in the Bible

... like the ones I quoted before where Jesus considers the Flood as a real past event. Jesus even mentioned details that are not in the written story in Hebrew, about a human population very busy in its own business and completely neglecting Noah's warnings of what would happen. Jesus said that the conditions before the judgment of this human system of things would be similar. That does not allow for a metaphorical event but a very real historical fact.

Jesus talked about Moses (John 3:14) and about Adan and Eve also (Matt. 19:4-6). He considered those facts and persons as historic.

Eli G

Change the channel ... You are repeating yourself again and again ...

What will your rabbi say? :facepalm:

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
How could "lessons" be learned from some information that is not accurate?
Isn't this like saying that if someone was right about a lot of things, but wrong about some things, that therefore you shouldn't listen to anything at all that they say? How much sense does that make?
The historical accuracy of the Bible proves that all other information it contains, including advices for daily living and promises for the future, is reliable.
That is exactly why so many atheists exist. You force them to throw out everything because it isn't 100% accurate about everything it says. That's a perfect recipe to destroy you own faith as well if you find even one error. Or, it makes you live in complete denial of facts because you are afraid to lose your faith, because you made it dependent upon such an impossible goal. That's not a good recipe for a healthy faith, when you have to deny reality in order to protect your ideas.