• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Homosexuals, should we accept them, are they really homosexual?

TurkeyOnRye

PLease be so kind as to present the homosexual equivalent to Prop 8.
I mean, with your claim that both sides are equal in the actions towards each other and all...

The obvious equivalent to Prop 8 is the reaction to the passage of Prop 8, but I don't need to cite individual cases to make my point, I merely need to hand you a different lens to look through. If you would but look through it..

In what possible way have many groups of gays been inflicting pain on fundamentalists?

In most cases, the pain each inflicts on the other is purely psychological as opposed to physical, though the most public examples of such are protests. Proposition 8 passage, for example, triggered an instance of unbridled anger by the "gay community". And besides that, as overtly crazy and irrational as fundamental religionists can be, one has to accept that other people's behavior can have an adverse effect on their psyche, and being crazy and irrational doesn't make the hurt any less painful. There are plenty of gays who overtly showcase their homosexuality in specific ways to specific people for the sole purpose of getting their goat. They're treated as gay patriots, but it's crazy to think that it progresses the "gay agenda". It is, if anything, an investment in a long-term rival.

The emotional harm inflicted is cyclical. A cycle of emotional violence. And with each repeated cycle, both sides figure out new ways to make the other wrong. The way to break the cycle is to accept the others' emotional grievances, not fight it. It is difficult to address in the case of fundamentalists, as this is often a deep-seated condition with an obscure source, so it's pretty easy to overwrite their case, but nonetheless it's there. In the end the implication is, of course, to address individual emotional grievances. Again, I'm not interested in taking sides, or keeping scores. I don't see a point. That is part of what I am trying to convey here.

Last edited:

McBell

Admiral Obvious
The obvious equivalent to Prop 8 is the reaction to the passage of Prop 8, but I don't need to cite individual cases to make my point, I merely need to hand you a different lens to look through. If you would but look through it..
The "reaction" to Prop 8?
Really?
I must have missed it...
What did homosexuals get heterosexuals banned from again?

If this is a prime example of your "lens"...

linwood

So, some of you may be aware of Leviticus 18 22: "[FONT=arial, helvetica]Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination."

So does that mean you are allowed to be homosexual as long as you don't practice your sexuality?

And because everyone is a sinner we should treat them no differently, but then the Catholic church despise homosexuals, but not people who cheat on husband/wife.

Also I was told that homosexuals are confused and don't really have sexual feelings towards there own sex, but it's actually quite common for animals to practice homosexuality too.

Discuss?
[/FONT]

If you are as your tag defines a "Catholic" then you should know your church states that homosexuality is an "inherent evil"(Ratzinger).Your church also states that "Inherent evil does not exist"(Vatican II).
So, that`s what your stance should be if you follow your church.
Confused yet?
Maybe you should find a worldview that has some consistency in it`s morality(or better yet create your own)instead of the one you follow.

Or you can split the difference as most of your brethren have due to a complete lack of direction from their leadership and stick with the old stand-by of "Love the sinner hate the sin" and accept that there is nothing wrong with a homosexual person as long as he/she commits no homosexual acts.

That`ll work.

linwood

T
The emotional harm inflicted is cyclical. A cycle of emotional violence. And with each repeated cycle, both sides figure out new ways to make the other wrong. The way to break the cycle is to accept the others' emotional grievances, not fight it. It is difficult to address in the case of fundamentalists, as this is often a deep-seated condition with an obscure source, so it's pretty easy to overwrite their case, but nonetheless it's there. In the end the implication is, of course, to address individual emotional grievances. Again, I'm not interested in taking sides, or keeping scores. I don't see a point. That is part of what I am trying to convey here.

Utter,complete,and total ********.

Thanks for failing.

TurkeyOnRye

The "reaction" to Prop 8?
Really?
I must have missed it...
What did homosexuals get heterosexuals banned from again?

If this is a prime example of your "lens"...

It is clear that the only vantage point you will accept is a political one. For some reason, you like to play head-to-head and think that Prop 8 is your Ace in the blame hole. What you aren't aware of is that you have invested a certain amount of emotional stock on certain issues, which prevents you from seeing alternative perspectives; perspectives which see the gay/fundie rivalry as an interdependent system that CAN be broken. Unfortunately, that perspective requires a stance of neutrality, which you are obviously not prepared to take. Maybe you're afraid someone will call you a "conservative" out of their ignorance, I don't know... As I said before, I'm not playing sides.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
As I said before, I'm not playing sides.
In your attempt to be completely neutral you have blinded yourself to the realities of the whole mess.

You inability to support your own claim is most revealing.
But I am sure that you will not let that fact even slow you down.

Smoke

Done here.
I think many (not all) groups of gays and fundamentalists share a mutual hostility toward each other, and so empower the other to do what they've been doing for so long. Both claim moral high-ground. Both have felt justified in inflicting various forms of pain on the other in the past. Few seem to have the desire to turn the other cheek, let alone unconditionally accept the other's world view, but instead choose to feed on the passion of the conflict, and in essence, both are shooting themselves in the foot.

And this, children, is why we should never post on RF after dropping acid.

TurkeyOnRye

And this, children, is why we should never post on RF after dropping acid.

I can usually handle whatever criticisms people give me, but this was especially hurtful.

I guess I deserve such a sentiment, as I haven't been the most cordial here. I really do try my best to open people up to broader perspectives, but I realize that I don't necessarily have the answers, and admit that I have at times ironically used conflict as a means to certain ends. Sorry.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I can usually handle whatever criticisms people give me, but this was especially hurtful.

I guess I deserve such a sentiment, as I haven't been the most cordial here. I really do try my best to open people up to broader perspectives, but I realize that I don't necessarily have the answers, and admit that I have at times ironically used conflict as a means to certain ends. Sorry.
Well....tis clear that both gays & fundies can be nasty jerks to each other.
And I agree that they appear to revel in it. I blame it on an excess of sanctimony.

Diederick

I never said fault was equal for anyone; in fact, I'm not talking about fault at all.
You're talking hurt, in my world 'hurt' is something negative, something wrong, a fault. By arguing that the "emotional harm inflicted is cyclical" and by showing similarities (as in your first post) you do insinuate both parties have an equal share in the wrong that is being done. Which they clearly do not. To say that the group identity is to blame is preposterous, siding with a group is the best way to engage in an argument in this society - otherwise we'd just be individuals doing one on one discussions; which wouldn't get us anywhere.
I'm saying it's ignorant to take on a group identity and fight each other. I'm sorry if it sounds offensive, but to be honest, I think that's a reaction from ignorance. It is taking sides that keeps people upset and fighting.
No its not. As I noted above, joining a group of people who have the same or a similar standpoint as you, will make debate more efficient and more powerful. You seem to be of the impression that neither side is supposed to win this debate, but that wouldn't bode well for the future of mankind if none was to prevail. There clearly is a side which has it right and the other side therefore has it wrong or didn't know what it was talking about to begin with.

Your argument is offensive because you equate the oppressed's fight for equality with the evil that is organized wilful ignorance. You put the victim and the aggressor on the same level, that is what doesn't sit well with me, because it is such a misrepresentation of reality.

Duck

In most cases, the pain each inflicts on the other is purely psychological as opposed to physical, though the most public examples of such are protests. Proposition 8 passage, for example, triggered an instance of unbridled anger by the "gay community". And besides that, as overtly crazy and irrational as fundamental religionists can be, one has to accept that other people's behavior can have an adverse effect on their psyche, and being crazy and irrational doesn't make the hurt any less painful. There are plenty of gays who overtly showcase their homosexuality in specific ways to specific people for the sole purpose of getting their goat. They're treated as gay patriots, but it's crazy to think that it progresses the "gay agenda". It is, if anything, an investment in a long-term rival.

What emotional grievances exist on the side of the fundamentalists?
Are they being prevented from exercising full equality in the secular world? Are they being prevented from serving in the military? Are they being fired from their jobs because of wedding announcements? Are they being harassed to the point of suicide in schools? Do hospitals keep them from visiting dying loved ones? Do hospitals keep them from making medical decisions for their incapacitated loved ones? Are they called "intrinsically disordered" or threats to human society by major world leaders? What exactly is done to fundamentalists by LGBT people that causes "emotional violence"? Could they possibly be that emotionally stressed by the existence of LGBT people that it causes them to be the victim of "emotional violence"? Because truthfully, as far as I can tell, the "emotional violence" along with plenty of physical violence is pretty much one sided. And it ain't the gays being violent.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
In what possible way have many groups of gays been inflicting pain on fundamentalists?
This delightful question gave me so many openings I couldn't choose just one.

Option 1: Don't you know that when a woman dances with another woman, it's a direct attack on heterosexual men?

Option 2: By tempting them into having hot man on man sex. Obviously, if there were not gay men, the Ted Haggards of this world would be forced to stay home with their wives.

Option 3: By being gay. Duh!

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Are they being prevented from exercising full equality in the secular world?
Yes, of course. When they venture forth into the secular world, they may be forced to treat perverts and sinners with respect and even equality, and that violates their religious freedom.
Are they being prevented from serving in the military?
Obviously, they may be forced to sleep in the same barracks as a homosexual, and that violates their right not to have to associate with sinners and perverts.
Are they being fired from their jobs because of wedding announcements?
They can be fired for refusing to treat sinners and perverts as though they deserve the sanctity of marriage. etc. you get the idea.

TurkeyOnRye

You're talking hurt, in my world 'hurt' is something negative, something wrong, a fault. By arguing that the "emotional harm inflicted is cyclical" and by showing similarities (as in your first post) you do insinuate both parties have an equal share in the wrong that is being done. Which they clearly do not.

You spun my words pretty far.

To say that the group identity is to blame is preposterous, siding with a group is the best way to engage in an argument in this society - otherwise we'd just be individuals doing one on one discussions; which wouldn't get us anywhere.

It does make things decidedly difficult, as once the group phenomena is in place, the entirety of the group takes on an individual's pain, which tends to complicate and blow things out of proportion. You're right, it is the best way to argue, but I'm not so convinced it's the best way to solve problems, and in particular the emotional grievances that each individual carries (which makes up the group), which is ultimately the culprit in acts of emotional violence.

No its not. As I noted above, joining a group of people who have the same or a similar standpoint as you, will make debate more efficient and more powerful. You seem to be of the impression that neither side is supposed to win this debate, but that wouldn't bode well for the future of mankind if none was to prevail. There clearly is a side which has it right and the other side therefore has it wrong or didn't know what it was talking about to begin with.

The idea that one side can "win" something, is pure delusion. As long as the reactive patterns are in place, the "fight" WILL continue. And continue. I find it preferable for both sides to attempt to transcend their "victim/perpetrator" positions.

Your argument is offensive because you equate the oppressed's fight for equality with the evil that is organized wilful ignorance. You put the victim and the aggressor on the same level, that is what doesn't sit well with me, because it is such a misrepresentation of reality.

No, not quite. We can achieve our social goals without fighting anyone. In theory, non-reactivity has the effect of backlashing the perpetrator. In effect, the aggressor "sees" the self-harm in their aggressive behavior, because they have nothing to justify that behavior anymore. It is a powerful thing, if done right, and in the past, has ended wars.

It is ironic, I know, but 'they' feel threatened. 'They' feel that GBLT behavior hurts others. It is ludicrous, but only from the standpoint of ignorance. If we can understand why a given person behaves in a certain way, why they uphold such a perspective, it can go a long way to dissolving the lingering pain from the past that keeps such things alive. It is a desire to have one's feelings recognized. In essence, that is what they want, and that is what GBLT want, no?

Are they being prevented from exercising full equality in the secular world? Are they being prevented from serving in the military? Are they being fired from their jobs because of wedding announcements? Are they being harassed to the point of suicide in schools? Do hospitals keep them from visiting dying loved ones? Do hospitals keep them from making medical decisions for their incapacitated loved ones? Are they called "intrinsically disordered" or threats to human society by major world leaders? What exactly is done to fundamentalists by LGBT people that causes "emotional violence"?

These are merely effects of much deeper emotional resentment. If you only try to fix the political aspects, you are only bandaging a wound that gets reopened over and over and over. The emotional violence that is done to fundamentals is in keeping their reactive behavior alive simply by refusing to recognize their emotional conditioning. They didn't start the pattern, but it's kept alive. Why else would one cause pain to another if not for pain inside themselves?

This delightful question gave me so many openings I couldn't choose just one.

Option 1: Don't you know that when a woman dances with another woman, it's a direct attack on heterosexual men?

Option 2: By tempting them into having hot man on man sex. Obviously, if there were not gay men, the Ted Haggards of this world would be forced to stay home with their wives.

Option 3: By being gay. Duh!

Yes, of course. When they venture forth into the secular world, they may be forced to treat perverts and sinners with respect and even equality, and that violates their religious freedom. Obviously, they may be forced to sleep in the same barracks as a homosexual, and that violates their right not to have to associate with sinners and perverts. They can be fired for refusing to treat sinners and perverts as though they deserve the sanctity of marriage. etc. you get the idea.

Ha ha. As pathetic as it sounds, yes, that kind of stuff does upset some fundamentalists. Should we give in to irrational demands? Of course not. But lets continue with my previous line of reasoning. Why would someone hold such a world view? What would be the best way to dissolve such an individual's insecurity? What compels someone to inflict pain on others, if not pain in themselves? The disillusioning aspect of this is that it IS a tough job to change people's minds because they are empowered by obscure emotional engines. But fighting them and thereby solidifying that world view just doesn't work in the long run.

Address emotional grievances. That's really all I'm saying. We're all human here, and have suffered enough without having to place blame for that suffering.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
TOR, what middle ground do you propose? Should queers stay in the closet, living a lie rather than step on oversensitive toes? Seriously, the fundies' only "grievance" is our identity. We're not attacking them or trying to take away their rights, we just want to be allowed to live our lives in peace. What concessions should we make to that?

uu_sage

We should love and accept God's gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered children exactly as God created them. Being gay, lesbian, bi, and transgendered reflects the beautiful diversity of God's creation. Homophobia has no place in the body in the Christ or in any religious tradition.