• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How can someone be a male and be a feminist at the same time?

Kerr

Boys can't rape, they have no urge to rape because their bodies haven't developed to that extent. It's when their puberty hits when it matters, the sooner you understand this point the better.
As a man who was a giant pervert during his puberty I can tell you that you are wrong. Rape requires more then desire.

Kerr

Then there needs to be greater focus on educating the public on what informed consent means, rather than accepting that "men simply can't control their sexual urges."

Are you suggesting that we should accept that men simply can't control their sexual urges? I don't accept that, because it's a dig against men and seeing them as nothing more than violent beasts that we need to protect ourselves from.
Its funny how some people like to reduce us men to nothing but slaves to our sexual desires. And women to nothing but toys for men who are nothing but slaves to their sexual desires. Men can control their urges, period. Women arent toys, period. And attitude towards sex and women has a lot more to do with rape then biology.

sunni56

Then there needs to be greater focus on educating the public on what informed consent means, rather than accepting that "men simply can't control their sexual urges."

Are you suggesting that we should accept that men simply can't control their sexual urges? I don't accept that, because it's a dig against men and seeing them as nothing more than violent beasts that we need to protect ourselves from.
I didn't make that point, I never said we should just accept that. Well, women always need to take precautions, in many areas of the world generally, and even in the West in certain times and places because men are stronger than women and so if a man turns violent, it doesn't usually end well for women. I've always advocated and continue to advocate the death penalty for murder and rape.

sunni56

As a man who was a giant pervert during his puberty I can tell you that you are wrong. Rape requires more then desire.
I was addressing the point made that "boys aren't born violent". It's obvious that a boy who just came into the world isn't going to rape anyone. Moreover, the desire to obtain sexual fulfilment- violently or otherwise- doesn't usually begin until the process of puberty starts. You should know because you were a pervert in your teenage years as you claimed.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I didn't make that point, I never said we should just accept that.

Funny you should say that, because then you said....

Well, women always need to take precautions, in many areas of the world generally, and even in the West in certain times and places because men are stronger than women and so if a man turns violent, it doesn't usually end well for women.

And this statement accepts a "fact" that men are more prone to turn violent around the world, and that women should expect this kind of behavior and prepare accordingly....by covering up, carrying pepper spray, kicking in the groin, taking self-defense classes, locking doors on their cars and homes, calling 911, not making as much eye contact, walking confidently, walking with keys in their hand and knowing how to use it as a weapon, walking with a companion, paying attention to your drink at public establishments, never going to the restroom alone, etc. etc. etc.....

When will we tell ALL our youth to be educated on what respect and informed consent looks like instead of scapegoating women and demonizing men? This putting the burden on women for all these ways of "how not to get attacked, raped, and murdered" is predicated on the idea that men can't be trusted.

I don't believe that for one second, except that cultural conditioning has much to do with ANYBODY becoming violent, male or female. But I don't accept that men are more prone to violence because they are males.

Not. For. One. Second.

I've always advocated and continue to advocate the death penalty for murder and rape.

How's that working?

sunni56

Funny you should say that, because then you said....

And this statement accepts a "fact" that men are more prone to turn violent around the world, and that women should expect this kind of behavior and prepare accordingly....by covering up, carrying pepper spray, kicking in the groin, taking self-defense classes, locking doors on their cars and homes, calling 911, not making as much eye contact, walking confidently, walking with keys in their hand and knowing how to use it as a weapon, walking with a companion, paying attention to your drink at public establishments, never going to the restroom alone, etc. etc. etc.....

When will we tell ALL our youth to be educated on what respect and informed consent looks like instead of scapegoating women and demonizing men? This putting the burden on women for all these ways of "how not to get attacked, raped, and murdered" is predicated on the idea that men can't be trusted.

I don't believe that for one second, except that cultural conditioning has much to do with ANYBODY becoming violent, male or female. But I don't accept that men are more prone to violence because they are males.

Not. For. One. Second.

How's that working?
You're flat out wrong. All your arguments are built upon a claim that I didn't make. Let me spell it out for you like I would a 5 year old child....

1. Having a car alarm, doesn't mean that you think all human being and animals are thieves or vandals.
2. Keeping your child close and taking precautions with your child, does NOT imply that you think all people are kidnappers.
3. Keeping your door locked does NOT mean that you view all humans as burglars.
4. Taking precautions as a woman because of strength inferiority, does NOT imply that all men are rapists or succumb to their sexual desires.

Either you have great difficulty understanding simple concepts or you are unwilling to understand. I hope it's the former.

Moreover, I am an advocate for the death penalty yes. It's unfortunately not being applied in Europe right now. In fact, rape isn't even being taken seriously, maybe because of the increase in false cries of rape and other factors.

Last edited:

Alceste

Vagabond
Boys can't rape, they have no urge to rape because their bodies haven't developed to that extent. It's when their puberty hits when it matters, the sooner you understand this point the better.

Once again, I am talking about violence in general, not only sexual violence. Rape is a sub-category of the greater category: violence. It is not about sex. If it were about sex a dirty magazine and a bottle of lotion would get the job done much more easily than forcing your will on another human being.

Rape is violence, not sex. Violence is learned behavior.

The sooner you understand this point (I've made it three times now) the better.

sunni56

Once again, I am taking about violence in general, not only sexual violence. Rape is a sub-category of the greater category: violence. It is not about sex. If it were about sex a dirty magazine and a bottle if lotion would get the job done much more easily than forcing your will on another human being.
Once again, we were specifically discussing rape. You claimed that boys aren't born violent, considering how small boys are when they are born, it's a good guess to suggest that they cannot commit violence or rape. The matter that obviously needs attention, is the inclination towards rape by pubescent or post pubescent boys. Not difficult to understand. The sooner you understand, the better. Perhaps I need to repeat it ad nauseum?

Last edited:

Alceste

Vagabond
Precaution implies a need for caution.

I've never had any issues, and I have traveled alone in seventeen countries, starting at the age of 18. I've never taken extra care to cover up, and I have never felt any fear of being sexually assaulted, even when I lived on the scummiest street corner in Canada.

I would love it if everyone in the world could feel that sense of freedom and security. It doesn't come from being timid and modest, covering up your skin and hair, making sure you never go out alone, etc. Acting fearful makes you look weak, and looking weak -whether you are a man or a woman - makes you a potential target for any human predator, from pick-pockets to serial killers.

Alceste

Vagabond
Well... it suffices to say only a stupid woman wouldn't take precautions walking in South African streets when 40% of women in South Africa are projected to be raped in their lifetime.

Then it is a systemic problem and must be addressed on a public policy level, not by requiring individual women to take responsibility for not being raped.

sunni56

Then it is a systemic problem and must be addressed on a public policy level, not by requiring individual women to take responsibility for not being raped.
Like I said, only a stupid woman wouldn't take precautions in such an environment. Sane women who do not want to be raped in South Africa would take precautions. Again, not difficult to comprehend.

Alceste

Vagabond
Once again, we were specifically discussing rape. You claimed that boys aren't born violent, considering how small boys are when they are born, it's a good guess to suggest that they cannot commit violence or rape. The matter that obviously needs attention, is the inclination towards rape by pubescent or post pubescent boys. Not difficult to understand. The sooner you understand, the better. Perhaps I need to repeat it ad nauseum?

It's not that I don't understand your point. I disagree with it. The fact you are framing it as if you think I claimed that the fact a newborn baby can't rape anyone means violence is learned shows that perhaps you are having trouble understanding me.

I teach young boys. They are not violent where I live.

Kerr

I was addressing the point made that "boys aren't born violent". It's obvious that a boy who just came into the world isn't going to rape anyone. Moreover, the desire to obtain sexual fulfilment- violently or otherwise- doesn't usually begin until the process of puberty starts. You should know because you were a pervert in your teenage years as you claimed.
As I said, I was a pervert. My hormones where running amok. But... I never raped someone. Never tried. I am not saying men doesnt have desire, just that desire doesnt imply lack of control and doesnt make someone a rapist.

sunni56

It's not that I don't understand your point. I disagree with it. The fact you are framing it as if you think I claimed that the fact a newborn baby can't rape anyone means violence is learned shows that perhaps you are having trouble understanding me.

I teach young boys. They are not violent where I live.
You've been trying your hardest to make this discussion about pre-pubescent boys the focus of this discussion concerning rape (I don't know what your obsession with them is). It's biologically a fact that boys do not develop sexual urges until puberty begins. Moreover the instances of rape instigated by pre-pubescent boys is miniscule conpared to post-pubescent boys. Again, this isn't difficult to understand.

I'm sure there are teachers in South Africa who also can testify to the fact that pre-pubescent boys aren't violent. It's post-pubescent that's the issue over there, something which seems to evade you.

sunni56

As I said, I was a pervert. My hormones where running amok. But... I never raped someone. Never tried. I am not saying men doesnt have desire, just that desire doesnt imply lack of control and doesnt make someone a rapist.
Well, maybe not for you. But what about person x who rapes someone because they can't control their desires in Argentina or South Africa? That might well be the case. You can't speak for other people, only yourself.

Alceste

Vagabond
Like I said, only a stupid woman wouldn't take precautions in such an environment. Sane women who do not want to be raped in South Africa would take precautions. Again, not difficult to comprehend.

Yes, it isn't hard to comprehend. It's just missing the forest for the trees. Violence of all kinds, including sexual violence, is endemic in South Africa, and it will require significant public policy advancements in education, criminal law, the rights of women and minorities and economic development to improve the situation. We should not just shrug our shoulders and accept it. It is not necessary for anyone to live in fear.