• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How can someone be a male and be a feminist at the same time?

Alceste

Vagabond
Well, maybe not for you. But what about person x who rapes someone because they can't control their desires in Argentina or South Africa? That might well be the case. You can't speak for other people, only yourself.

Well thank you for proving my point. The only person in this thread who seems to think men are brutes and pigs who are unable to control their violent inclinations happens to be a Muslim man. Not a feminist.

sunni56

Yes, it isn't hard to comprehend. It's just missing the forest for the trees. violence us endemic in South Africa, and it will require significant public policy advancements in education, criminal law, the rights of women and minorities and economic development to improve the situation. We should not just shrug our shoulders and accept it. It is not necessary for anyone to live in fear.
I didn't say anything about shrugging our shoulders and accepting it. What I DID say however, is that women should take precautions in South Africa. I hope you're not disagreeing with me. Only a vile misogynist would argue that women shouldn't take precautions under a climate of misogynistic violence and intimidation.

sunni56

Well thank you for proving my point. The only person in this thread who seems to think men are brutes and pigs who are unable to control their violent inclinations happens to be a Muslim man. Not a feminist.
Well, you claimed it is ok for women to be unprotected against violent rapists, you don't see anything wrong with the nature and brutality of rape, I find this uncomfortable.

sunni56

Just as its not difficult to understand that men doesnt rape because they feel horny.
Maybe some do. I don't know. You claim to know so the burden of proof is on you. You must prove to me that all rapists do not rape because they feel horny. Off you go.

Kerr

Well, maybe not for you. But what about person x who rapes someone because they can't control their desires in Argentina or South Africa? That might well be the case. You can't speak for other people, only yourself.
I can speak as a man who has a disorder that causes him to have very poor impulse control :p. Sexual desire can be very hard to control. Yet I have never had to control myself to not rape. That person in South Africa or Argentina, or in my own country for that matter, that rapes a girl can control their desires. They choose not to.

Alceste

Vagabond
Maybe some do. I don't know. You claim to know so the burden of proof is on you. You must prove to me that all rapists do not rape because they feel horny. Off you go.

Tragically for you, this is not the point we are debating. We are debating whether feminists believe men are violent brutes who cannot control their behavior. This side debate is over whether it is a belief that is found more often in Muslim men on RF than feminists on RF. Your own posts are all the proof we need of this observation.

Kerr

You need to prove to me that men are slaves to their desires :p. Seriously, is it that hard to understand that someones attitude towards women affects their actions?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
The last few pages have been the most bizzare conversation on RF in a long time (including even the mystics').

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member

People shouldn't be obligated to worry about others not being able to control their desires, and that's certainly not an excuse or justification to force women to live in fear and be on the watch for men who "can't control their desires." They can; everyone can. They just don't, and it's their problem.

Do you believe that we shouldn't carry money at all because some people "can't" control their desire for money and therefore would steal it if we carried it, or do you think that people should be able to carry money without having to worry about thieves being around every corner?

uberrobonomicon4000

How is misandry a dumb word if you can pull from numerous resources that label men as pigs and brutes - specifically feminist social media? A former member on this forum posted a picture on FB about 'rape culture.' Me being foolish enough to take an interest in the discussion, saw just that: comments about all of men being a ruinous scourge.

I'm not even referring to post-relationship feelings because those issues are separate.
I was referring to man-hater as being a dumb word. Not misandry.

Misandry exists, has existed and is a problem. It’s 2013 and people still make idiotic comments like that which are nothing more than a bunch of sexist (hypocritical) remarks. Evidently people who do make such comments have some serious problems or issues and its obvious the problem isn’t me.

It also seems to be common practice for some people. Even if it’s a joke, which I’m sure most are not, I don’t find it funny or amusing. Some people just have their head stuck so far in the gutter it isn’t possible for them to get it out. So we might as well just leave them there to talk too themselves.

sunni56

I can speak as a man who has a disorder that causes him to have very poor impulse control :p. Sexual desire can be very hard to control. Yet I have never had to control myself to not rape. That person in South Africa or Argentina, or in my own country for that matter, that rapes a girl can control their desires. They choose not to.
Can you prove that? Perhaps they have a disorder? Perhaps they feel overwhelmed by their need for sexual fulfillment so they feel they have to satisfy themselves violently in order to move on in life? I don't know. You're making the claims, give me the proof.

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
Has somebody in this thread pulled "from numerous resources - specifically feminist social media" examples of notable feminists labeling men as pigs and brutes? If so, I missed it. We've got a total of one legitimate, card-carrying lunatic who was never influential presented as evidence thus far, and a bunch of cherry picked quotes taken put of context, many of which are from fictional novels.

This site is social media - can you find me some of this ubiquitous man-hating by feminists here? How about Dust1n? Is he always banging on about how all men are pigs and brutes? Mystic? Me? Sunstone?

This site is positively rotten with die-hard feminists. Have you ever heard anyone here say all men are pigs and brutes, with the possible exception of Muslim men trying to justify why their uncontrollable sexual feelings require that women be stuck into a shapeless sack to protect themselves?

If it's as common as you claim, you should have no trouble finding at least one example on RF.

RF in general is a pretty open-minded group. Just like how all the anti-feminists or non-feminists that participate in the discussion aren't misogynists even though you can find websites that champion male superiority. Or, if you want to pull from alternative discussions, we have virtually no anti-Zionists on RF that are also anti-semites.

That doesn't negate the fact there are misogynists, anti-semites, and yes, misandrists.

In certain Muslim and African countries where patriarchy clear does exist and it is brutal towards women, that society is completely eroded due to warped power structures in general - usually through war and international sabotage. The cultural influence seeps out in small subcultures but it is not in any shape or form a significant sentiment in the United States, Canada, Australia, NZ, Singapore, Ireland, or Britain.

Last edited:

sunni56

Tragically for you, this is not the point we are debating. We are debating whether feminists believe men are violent brutes who cannot control their behavior. This side debate is over whether it is a belief that is found more often in Muslim men on RF than feminists on RF. Your own posts are all the proof we need of this observation.
Tragically for you, somebody made a baseless comment on RF forums and I have asked them for evidence, evidence that I am still waiting for. Alas, such is the nature of debate.

Your own posts are proof that you think rape violent rape in South Africa is fine. See how baseless argumentation works? I can do it too dear.

sunni56

You need to prove to me that men are slaves to their desires :p. Seriously, is it that hard to understand that someones attitude towards women affects their actions?
No, you need to prove your claim; that all rapists don't rape due to being horny. You made the claim, so you back it up. You've talked the talk, now walk the walk :)

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
No, you need to prove your claim; that all rapists don't rape due to being horny. You made the claim, so you back it up. You've talked the talk, now walk the walk :)

I'm pretty sure most healthy males have sexual desires too, but you don't see them go out and commit rape because of it. Obviously there are other factors involved in rape that have nothing to do with being "horny."

sunni56

People shouldn't be obligated to worry about others not being able to control their desires, and that's certainly not an excuse or justification to force women to live in fear and be on the watch for men who "can't control their desires." They can; everyone can. They just don't, and it's their problem.

Do you believe that we shouldn't carry money at all because some people "can't" control their desire for money and therefore would steal it if we carried it, or do you think that people should be able to carry money without having to worry about thieves being around every corner?
I don't know what you're referring to. Are you also claiming that all rapists don't rape due to being horny? If that's the case, then you need to bring evidence.

Are you claiming that women in South Africa shouldn't take precautions despite living in a climate of misogynistic violence and intimidation? If so, I do worry to say the least.

I spotted at least one strawman argument in your post; the suggestion that I think that women should be forced to live in fear and intimidation. Please refrain from baseless insinuations. Let's not make this debate more childish than it need be.

sunni56

I'm pretty sure most healthy males have sexual desires too, but you don't see them go out and commit rape because of it. Obviously there are other factors involved in rape that have nothing to do with being "horny."
Again, strawman alert. Please refer to my argument, not a made-up argument. The user explicitly claimed that nobody rapes due to being horny. They need to back that up.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't know what you're referring to. Are you also claiming that all rapists don't rape due to being horny? If that's the case, then you need to bring evidence.

Are you claiming that women in South Africa shouldn't take precautions despite living in a climate of misogynistic violence and intimidation? If so, I do worry to say the least.

I spotted at least one strawman argument in your post; the suggestion that I think that women should be forced to live in fear and intimidation. Please refrain from baseless insinuations. Let's not make this debate more childish than it need be.

1) I've addressed this here.

2) No, that's not what I'm claiming. I'm claiming that they shouldn't have to take precautions and feel the need to constantly worry about getting sexually assaulted, because there are ways to deal with criminals without burdening people with taking precautions that would normally be unnecessary.

3) If you're arguing that they must take precautions because of men who "can't control their desires," then that's what your argument seems to imply. How does arguing that they should constantly be on the watch for rapists not imply living in fear and intimidation?

Edited to add:

Again, strawman alert. Please refer to my argument, not a made-up argument. The user explicitly claimed that nobody rapes due to being horny. They need to back that up.

Most males experience being "horny" at one point or another. Why don't most males commit rape despite experiencing the same urges that supposedly drive a rapist to sexually assault women?

Last edited: