• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you decide when you've won a debate?

tatygirl90

Hmm probably when I receive no rebuttal or just something ridiculous which to me signifies they've run of out credible ideas.

Alceste

Vagabond
My husband just said the only way to win an internet debate is to get somebody to leave in a huff and delete their account forever. Lol. By that measure, I've won exactly two internet debates. One by snapping him up while another RF member was trying to get with him, and another by sending Sunstone a picture of my boobs.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
My husband introduced me to this place, but he's not here any more. Hmmm - maybe I could chalk that up to one more debate win, but it's too subtle for me to understand how I could have caused it.

Just claim it as a victory and don't worry about the specifics of it. Nothing wrong with feeding your ego in your own mind. ;)

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
We could set up a thread where people could vote and have a one on one debate.

Frubals would indicate some validity as well.

For me, if I can quote the person who I am debating and make my point with their own words, that is pretty sweet.

If a poster invokes Hitler is always a sign of a clear win to me.

People who try to misrepresent my position or resort to making it personal is a low blow and out of bounds for me.

If they can stick to the facts and have an honest debate, that is awesome.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
We could set up a thread where people could vote

Victory shouldn't be determined by who happens to have the largest clique of sycophants.

Debating has a lot to do with ego, which is why many people press on until the thread has a thousand pages, long after their argument had already been soundly refuted.

Last edited:

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
I wasn't aware that anyone actually cared about "victory" over debates on here. I think most of us are guilty of allowing ego to get the best of us at times.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
I wasn't aware that anyone actually cared about "victory" over debates on here. I think most of us are guilty of allowing ego to get the best of us at times.
True that!

What I hate is when folks get that broad brush out. If your a Conservative you must be a racist and a homophobe and if your a Liberal you must embrace Communism...stuff like that.

Sees

Dragonslayer
True that!

What I hate is when folks get that broad brush out. If your a Conservative you must be a racist and a homophobe and if your a Liberal you must embrace Communism...stuff like that.

We like big, easy targets...even if imaginary :D

I think a big part of it is just venting a bit. We share our venting being natural social beings. It's hard, but good, to never take venting personally. People have to release tension on something that has injured or offended them or reflects their past or present personal con.

Those most flagrant and repetitive seem hoping for the one to come along to prove them wrong.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
We could set up a thread where people could vote and have a one on one debate.

Frubals would indicate some validity as well.

For me, if I can quote the person who I am debating and make my point with their own words, that is pretty sweet.

If a poster invokes Hitler is always a sign of a clear win to me.

People who try to misrepresent my position or resort to making it personal is a low blow and out of bounds for me.

If they can stick to the facts and have an honest debate, that is awesome.

There's that four letter word...'fact'....again.

I just love it when my worthy opponent speaks of it, as he seems to point his finger to the ceiling!

Note my signature....

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Most of the time, the only reason I go into a debate is because there's some (usually new) troll irritating the hell out of everybody, but somehow managing to stay within the rules while they're doing it.

My mission, in such cases, is to irritate the hell out of the troll while also managing to stay within the rules.

My definite win is when the troll finally gives up and reports me for something that isn't even close to a rule violation.

That's my kick-back-and-smoke-a-cigar moment.

but does the troll....remain?
That's one large mission you have there.

I like cigars too.
Backwoods...in the light brown pouch.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
True that!

My absolute favorite is when discussing economics (the joy of free markets &
capitalism), every now & then someone is shocked to discover I'm an atheist.
We're not supposed to like those things?

I never win debates. Moreover, if I find myself trying to win one, this momentary lapse
causes me shame. Discussion is better than debate, which too often becomes dung fu.

Last edited: