• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you feel about other faiths?

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
@crossfire

I just had one of those "seniors" moments. When I first read this I thought you had said "I like to use the Kama Sutra as a guideline when it comes to considering other religious doctrines."

:confused::eek::rolleyes:o_O:rolleyes::eek::confused:
That was followed by the thought that that certainly must be entertaining, LOL...

I'll go back and hide under my rock now....
ROFLMAO! :p Thanks for the belly laugh! :D

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
@crossfire

I just had one of those "seniors" moments. When I first read this I thought you had said "I like to use the Kama Sutra as a guideline when it comes to considering other religious doctrines."

:confused::eek::rolleyes:o_O:rolleyes::eek::confused:
That was followed by the thought that that certainly must be entertaining, LOL...

I'll go back and hide under my rock now....
ROFLMAO! :p Thanks for the belly laugh! :D
Might come in handy for those who profess their religion to be {unspecified} love, I suppose... :D

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
I don't know how to feel about other faiths or any faith at all right now. I mean, they all basically teach the same stuff such as caring about people and the like.

David1967

Premium Member
I view other faiths as an interesting topic for discussion, and love to discuss them. I can disagree with anothers faith and yet have respect for it if it teaches respect and compassion toward others.

@Terese posted an interesting thread entitled "Your thoughts on other religions" recently, but since it's in the Christianity DIR it only allows Christians to share their thoughts. I found the variety of replies very interesting and wanted to find out what people of other faiths thought about this. Since posting the same thread in every DIR would be a bit redundant, I would like to open up the discussion to the whole community here and ask people of every faith, how do you feel about other faiths? It would be helpful to briefly describe your own beliefs first to get an idea of how different groups view others. What do the teachings of your religion have to say about other beliefs? What do you personally think? Do you treat all other faiths equally or do you view some as better than others?

I'm a Bahá'í, which means that the oneness of religion is at the heart of the teachings of my faith and my beliefs. The Bahá'í scriptures state that all the revealed religions in the world are one faith seen in different phases and arising according to different needs, but with an overall purpose of guiding our evolution from the animal to being truly human—such that we recognize our spiritual reality as essential. This functions on both an individual and collective level. Our purpose as individuals is to be the best human beings we can be—meaning that we strive to be just, kind, forgiving and giving to others—so that collectively we form what the Bahá'í scriptures refer to as "an ever-advancing civilization."

The purpose of religion is, the Bahá'í writings say, to bring this child, mankind, to adulthood and to a recognition that we are all members of one family regardless of the color of our skin, the language we speak, the culture we live in. The divisions among us—such as religious strife—are of our own making because we have misconstrued the purpose of religion itself.

The Prophet of the Bahá'í Faith, Bahá'u'lláh wrote:
The Purpose of the one true God, exalted be His glory, in revealing Himself unto men is to lay bare those gems that lie hidden within the mine of their true and inmost selves. That the divers communions of the earth, and the manifold systems of religious belief, should never be allowed to foster the feelings of animosity among men, is, in this Day, of the essence of the Faith of God and His Religion. These principles and laws, these firmly-established and mighty systems, have proceeded from one Source, and are the rays of one Light. That they differ one from another is to be attributed to the varying requirements of the ages in which they were promulgated. ...Religious fanaticism and hatred are a world-devouring fire, whose violence none can quench. The Hand of Divine power can, alone, deliver mankind from this desolating affliction…. The utterance of God is a lamp, whose light is these words: Ye are the fruits of one tree, and the leaves of one branch. Deal ye one with another with the utmost love and harmony, with friendliness and fellowship. He Who is the Day Star of Truth beareth Me witness! So powerful is the light of unity that it can illuminate the whole earth.

Bahá'u'lláh taught that there is one God, one gradually and progressively unfolding faith, and one human race. We believe that mankind will continue to receive new Teachers in perpetuity.
He said that we are not to distinguish between the Prophets of God as they are all Lamps of the same Light. One is not better than or greater than another. They were merely sent at different times to answer the needs of different peoples. Bahá'u'lláh's particular teachings are aimed at unifying the planet while preserving diversity. They deal with the needs of an age in which we can either unite or destroy ourselves.

Bahá'ís are encouraged to consort with the followers of "other" faiths with love and affection. We are also encouraged to study the writings of previous Teachers. Coming as I did from a Christian background, I can say that this study was necessary to me understanding what Bahá'u'lláh meant when He said that all the religions are one. It wasn't until I read the Bhagavad Gita and Vedas, the Dhammapada, the Qur'an, the Zend Avesta, even Egyptian scriptures such as the Papyrus of Ani that I "got it". Had I not sat down and read the teachings of such Prophets as Krishna, Buddha, Muhammad, I would not have seen the unity of their message, including the way in which they expressed their own roles in the process of human evolution and education.

I am the Way, and the Master who watches in silence; thy friend and thy shelter, and thy abode of peace. I am the beginning and the middle and the end of all things; their seed of Eternity, their Treasure supreme. — Krishna, Bhagavad Gita 9:16-18

This indeed is the Way — there is no other — for the purification of one's vision. Follow this Way. I have taught you the Way ... making the effort is your affair. — Gautama Buddha, Dhammapada vs. 274-276

I am the Way and the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me. If you really knew Me, you would know My Father as well. From now on, you do know Him and have seen Him. — Jesus Christ, John 14:6,7

This is the way of thy Lord, leading straight: We have detailed the signs for those who receive admonition. For them will be a home of peace in the presence of their Lord: He will be their friend, because they practised (righteousness). — Muhammad, Quran, Surih 6:126-127

...He hath manifested unto men the Day Stars of His divine guidance, the Symbols of His divine unity, and hath ordained the knowledge of these sanctified Beings to be identical with the knowledge of His own Self. Whoso recognizeth Them hath recognized God. Whoso hearkeneth unto Their call, hath hearkened unto the voice of God, and whoso testifieth to the truth of Their revelation, hath testified to the truth of God Himself.... Every one of them is the Way of God that connecteth this world with the realms above.... They are the Manifestations of God amidst men, the evidences of His Truth, and the signs of His glory. — Bahá'u'lláh, Gleanings p. 49,50

There are more in-depth treatments of these subjects at www.bahaiteachings.org, by the way.

Roughly every 500 to 1000 years, one of these Teachers arises with a message that is needful for the time and the people. They often frame this as part of a Covenant between God and mankind. He sends the Teachers to give us guidance, our part of the covenant is to strive to put that guidance into action.
Bahá'u'lláh put it this way:

The All-Knowing Physician hath His finger on the pulse of mankind. He perceiveth the disease, and prescribeth, in His unerring wisdom, the remedy. Every age hath its own problem, and every soul its particular aspiration. The remedy the world needeth in its present-day afflictions can never be the same as that which a subsequent age may require. Be anxiously concerned with the needs of the age ye live in, and center your deliberations on its exigencies and requirements. — Bahá'u'lláh, Tabernacle of Unity

Alas, we do not always do a stellar job of upholding our end of the Covenant.

arthra

Baha'i
I would like to open up the discussion to the whole community here and ask people of every faith, how do you feel about other faiths? It would be helpful to briefly describe your own beliefs first to get an idea of how different groups view others. What do the teachings of your religion have to say about other beliefs? What do you personally think? Do you treat all other faiths equally or do you view some as better than others?

Thanks for starting this topic "lovesong". We had another thread in the past week or so started in this Comparative Religion board and it had to be moved to the debate section because of all the negativity that was aroused so I hope this thread will remain in the comparative religion board!

Let me start by stating that I am a Baha'i and have had long associations with Christians, Buddhists and Hindus over my life before I became Baha'i. I came to respect and accept the great Founders of the major religions and believe that a Golden Thread can be observed and appreciated in the spiritual teachings of the great religions. I am also involved in an Interfaith Council in my community and work regularly with reps from the major religions.

I'll quote here some of the teachings from the Baha'i Writings on the subject of relations with other religions:

All the teaching of the Prophets is one; one faith; one Divine light shining throughout the world. Now, under the banner of the oneness of humanity all people of all creeds should turn away from prejudice and become friends and believers in all the Prophets. As Christians believe in Moses, so the Jews should believe in Jesus. As the Muhammadans believe in Christ and Moses, so likewise the Jews and the Christians should believe in Muhammad. Then all disputes would disappear, all then would be united. Bahá'u'lláh came for this purpose. He has made the three religions one. He has uplifted the standard of the oneness of faith and the honour of humanity in the centre of the world. Today we must gather round it, and try with heart and soul to bring about the union of mankind. 44

Discourse given at Miss E. J. Rosenberg's

Unity Meeting.

(Abdu'l-Baha, Abdu'l-Baha in London, p. 42)

Ask a Bahá'í to deny any of the great Prophets, to deny his faith or to deny Moses, Muhammad or Christ, and he will say: I would rather die.

(Abdu'l-Baha, Abdu'l-Baha in London, p. 56)

Had the experience of God back in 2003. Read a few pages of the Bible and heard a Buddhist speak about looking within.
I am not Religious.
After the "event" i find Jesus, Buddha, Pagan, Upanishads, Bahai, Zen, Mythology and many others all point in the right direction.
That said if you follow the simple teaching of Jesus to Love, forgive and judge not..... that`s more than enough.
Yet as meditation in its true sense is non judgement and forgiveness is in its true sense is also actually non judgement the same could be said of Buddha`s Compassion..

And also just wanted to add there are some atheists that walk this earth from the heart in the way that Jesus directed that are as close to heaven as is possible.

Jesus`s way is not what is believed or spoken, its what is walked here in the day to day and will lead, to the direct Experience.

Simple stuff, no big theoretical book required

Last edited:

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
And also just wanted to add there are some atheists that walk this earth from the heart in the way that Jesus directed that are as close to heaven as is possible.
Thanks for mentioning that, tony. Some of us try... and we do find the stories religious type tell to be highly entertaining.

Frank Merton

Intellectually, it is easy for a relatively intelligent person who has not undergone indoctrination to see that all "faith" (not just religious faith) is mistaken and generally wrong and often harmful. One can have opinions if they are based on valid and repeated experience, even opinions that approach belief, but never should one allow actual belief, where one has made an emotional commitment to something.

Religions make a virtue of faith, but this is seriously wrong. It is in fact a vice -- an easy way to excuse believing things one would like to believe even though there is insufficient evidence. One should only have opinions (where one can readily change one's mind without experiencing guilt or fear) when the evidence warrants it.

All that said, I do not oppose religion completely. Many of the things religions do are good. The present Pope, for example (as opposed to some of his unfortunate predecessors) seems to have a relatively open mind and is a preacher of love and tolerance and downplays doctrine. The same can be said of the Dalai Lama. Many Muslim clerics preach the same message, although unfortunately it seems most do not and many are sources of hate and intolerance. Any religion that teaches that it alone is true is likely to be this way -- in fact such a teaching makes a religion more a force for harm than for good.

neologist

Perhaps we should consider how God views religions. You may find his opinion in Chapters 17 and 18 in the book of Revelation.

David1967

Premium Member
I'm a Bahá'í, which means that the oneness of religion is at the heart of the teachings of my faith and my beliefs. The Bahá'í scriptures state that all the revealed religions in the world are one faith seen in different phases and arising according to different needs, but with an overall purpose of guiding our evolution from the animal to being truly human—such that we recognize our spiritual reality as essential. This functions on both an individual and collective level. Our purpose as individuals is to be the best human beings we can be—meaning that we strive to be just, kind, forgiving and giving to others—so that collectively we form what the Bahá'í scriptures refer to as "an ever-advancing civilization."

The purpose of religion is, the Bahá'í writings say, to bring this child, mankind, to adulthood and to a recognition that we are all members of one family regardless of the color of our skin, the language we speak, the culture we live in. The divisions among us—such as religious strife—are of our own making because we have misconstrued the purpose of religion itself.

The Prophet of the Bahá'í Faith, Bahá'u'lláh wrote:

Bahá'u'lláh taught that there is one God, one gradually and progressively unfolding faith, and one human race. We believe that mankind will continue to receive new Teachers in perpetuity.
He said that we are not to distinguish between the Prophets of God as they are all Lamps of the same Light. One is not better than or greater than another. They were merely sent at different times to answer the needs of different peoples. Bahá'u'lláh's particular teachings are aimed at unifying the planet while preserving diversity. They deal with the needs of an age in which we can either unite or destroy ourselves.

Bahá'ís are encouraged to consort with the followers of "other" faiths with love and affection. We are also encouraged to study the writings of previous Teachers. Coming as I did from a Christian background, I can say that this study was necessary to me understanding what Bahá'u'lláh meant when He said that all the religions are one. It wasn't until I read the Bhagavad Gita and Vedas, the Dhammapada, the Qur'an, the Zend Avesta, even Egyptian scriptures such as the Papyrus of Ani that I "got it". Had I not sat down and read the teachings of such Prophets as Krishna, Buddha, Muhammad, I would not have seen the unity of their message, including the way in which they expressed their own roles in the process of human evolution and education.

There are more in-depth treatments of these subjects at www.bahaiteachings.org, by the way.

Roughly every 500 to 1000 years, one of these Teachers arises with a message that is needful for the time and the people. They often frame this as part of a Covenant between God and mankind. He sends the Teachers to give us guidance, our part of the covenant is to strive to put that guidance into action.
Bahá'u'lláh put it this way:

Alas, we do not always do a stellar job of upholding our end of the Covenant.

Thank you Maya for this very thoughtful and informative post.

Tiapan

Grumpy Old Man
As a person who is a realist, I find it amazing in this day and age when so many deep questions can be answered at the touch of a key, that we still have so many full grown adults that believe the mythical over the reality. As far as I am concerned heaven is right here and now in Warrandyte. Numerous measures/surveys repeatedly label Melbourne as the most livable city in the world. Further Melbournes' Nillumbik shire is the most affluent shire in Australia. (they obviously didn't check my house out). So I hypothesize that in fact the most glorious heaven in the local galaxy, if not the Universe, is right here in river city. What is this nonsense that the Big Sleep (death) leads to some better place.
Wake up! look out the window and witness the real heaven/paradise. Blue skies, white clouds, flowers,birds, waterfalls, mosses trees, the Autumn leaves, the challenges that make life worth living, appreciate while you can - life is far to short to miss it.

Cheers

lovesong

:D
Premium Member
As a person who is a realist, I find it amazing in this day and age when so many deep questions can be answered at the touch of a key, that we still have so many full grown adults that believe the mythical over the reality. As far as I am concerned heaven is right here and now in Warrandyte. Numerous measures/surveys repeatedly label Melbourne as the most livable city in the world. Further Melbournes' Nillumbik shire is the most affluent shire in Australia. (they obviously didn't check my house out). So I hypothesize that in fact the most glorious heaven in the local galaxy, if not the Universe, is right here in river city. What is this nonsense that the Big Sleep (death) leads to some better place.
Wake up! look out the window and witness the real heaven/paradise. Blue skies, white clouds, flowers,birds, waterfalls, mosses trees, the Autumn leaves, the challenges that make life worth living, appreciate while you can - life is far to short to miss it.

Cheers
A lot of religions actually do just this, honor and appreciate the beautiful natural things around us! Religion and the physical world interact in so many ways. I think it's unfair to separate them completely, for some people this beautiful natural world is their religion. As far as mythical versus reality, those can coexist too! Many of us find ways to integrate the spiritual into the physical, accepting scientific findings but still honoring our gods as just one more being in this great mess. Religion was born from nature and myth from the things we encounter in it. Science has muted some religious ideas, like spontaneous creation, but there are still many religious concepts that coexist with the modern scientific world, much like how fine art can still flourish in a world of computers.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
A lot of religions actually do just this, honor and appreciate the beautiful natural things around us!
There are many people, including Dame Jane Goodall and my friend's dad, who say that to be in nature is to experience god. And I forget who said it, but he said something "I believe in God. I spell it nature."

Moishe3rd

Yehudi
I tend to focus more on the practitioner than the doctrine of other faiths and philosophies.
Having studied and practiced a great deal of religion; philosophy; and history, I find that many, many people don't know the history of their faith or the more esoteric schools of their faith.
So - I tend to think of people in terms of what they do; how they behave, as opposed to what they believe they believe.

Brian Schuh

No religion on earth requires conversion except Christianity. Islam accepts me as one of People of the Book, Judaism accepts me as a Noahide, all the Eastern faiths don't require anything of me for salvation but just want to share their philosophy. Only Christianity says I must be one of them or go to hell.