• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How does Feminism view Men?

How does Feminism view Men?

• Oppressors?

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Competitors?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Partners?

Votes: 14 73.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

psychoslice

Veteran Member
My concept isn't that one sex is better than another, it is that each sex is different from the other. And we are better together.
Yes you can put it that way, but on the whole we are all equal, on most cases we are different because of our conditioning as a male or female, example is boys suppose to not like pink lol.

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
To expand upon what you say, I notice that oppression is not always one gender against the other.
Examples.....
Many women here oppose abortion.
Many men here support the military draft of men.

Moreover, all this can happen without the need for misandry or misogyny.
Hatred is unnecessary for someone to compromise someone else's liberty.

I support conscription for all genders!

Does that make me a Feminist?

Akivah

Yes you can put it that way, but on the whole we are all equal, on most cases we are different because of our conditioning as a male or female, example is boys suppose to not like pink lol.

I disagree that the differences of the sexes is solely based on conditioning. The old nature vs. nurture discussion, eh?

psychoslice

Veteran Member
I disagree that the differences of the sexes is solely based on conditioning. The old nature vs. nurture discussion, eh?
Yes of course there is nature and nurture involved, plus as I said a whole lot of conditioning, programming and a pinch of genetics.

mindlight

See in the dark
As
A) Oppressors
B) Competitors
C) Partners

It depends is the honest answer here I think. It depends on the man and the type of feminism we are talking about. The Suffragettes only wanted equality. Some modern Feminists seem to be in the business of mass castration.

In the Western world with Hilary Clinton as a viable presidential candidate, Merkel in charge of Germany and Thatcher a distant memory as PM of the UK I would suggest the main task of Feminism is a done deal. It is in the Muslim world that some of the worst abuses of women are taking place to day and in the selective abortion policies of India and China for instance.

In these places many men may rightly be perceived as oppressors.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
In the Western world with Hilary Clinton as a viable presidential candidate, Merkel in charge of Germany and Thatcher a distant memory as PM of the UK I would suggest the main task of Feminism is a done deal.
If Hillary wins, it would be a bad day for feminism.

http://clinton3.nara.gov/WH/EOP/First_Lady/html/generalspeeches/1998/19981117.html
Women have always been the primary victims of war. Women lose their husbands, their fathers, their sons in combat. Women often have to flee from the only homes they have ever known. Women are often the refugees from conflict and sometimes, more frequently in today’s warfare, victims. Women are often left with the responsibility, alone, of raising the children.
This kind of extreme myopia helps no one.

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
946155_533454990168840_4477417074276303843_n.jpg

mindlight

See in the dark
If Hillary wins, it would be a bad day for feminism.

Actually I agree I do not like her politics and there is a massive contradiction in my view between an affirmation of women and the equal dignity they share with men and the attack on motherhood that is implied in her support of abortion.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Actually I agree I do not like her politics and there is a massive contradiction in my view between an affirmation of women and the equal dignity they share with men and the attack on motherhood that is implied in her support of abortion.
Her support for abortion rights is one area where we might agree,
given how socially conservative she is (relative to me).

Wherenextcolumbus

They are oppressors as a class.
But according to some here all 2nd wave feminists including myself aren't real feminists for basing their theories and activism around this, interesting.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
I'm having difficulties understanding feminism. Just recently I saw a video of feminists demanding men to always pay in dates (is this related to the topic?) while I know that feminism has full equality as a basis. I as a man personally would prefer to always pay on dates. But how would I really know, I never had a date and don't think I ever will ;)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'm having difficulties understanding feminism. Just recently I saw a video of feminists demanding men to always pay in dates (is this related to the topic?) while I know that feminism has full equality as a basis. I as a man personally would prefer to always pay on dates. But how would I really know, I never had a date and don't think I ever will ;)
This is because there is no single "feminism".