• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How does homosexual activity benefit society?

Manss

It wasn't changed to be about hospitality. It was changed to be about homosexuality (the ancients had no concept of sexual orientation, so it couldn't have originally been "about" homosexuality).

Hospitality wasn't just "good morality." It was both the law and the expectation. Hospitality was not "optional." God apparently did annihilate such persons as major criminals, because that's what the story is about.

You're just wrong here.

I will write an article about Sodom people 's adventure soon and explain they were how and what happened for them and how their area sunk in ground by angels of torture and erased from earth.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
I will write an article about Sodom people 's adventure soon and explain they were how and what happened for them and how their area sunk in ground by angels of torture and erased from earth.
Please don't.

Agnostic75

Manss said:

Without any scholarly references, or course.

work in progress

Facts can have a way of ruining a good argument!

I don't think I will ever have the time to search through 31 pages, but I wonder if it's been mentioned previously that not all children come out fitting naturally and easily into their male or female identities? I never had to deal with this on a personal level, but I was listening to a CBC Radio show a few days ago, where they were discussing the quandary for some concerned parents who have young children that insist they are the wrong sex, and want to be changed to either become boys or girls.

There is some dispute over whether pre-teenagers can make such a determination about their identities, but if the requests are ignored, hormonal therapies for gender re-assignment can't be effectively done after puberty. And they made sure they had guests who advised going along with a child's wishes for gender re-assignment, and another woman who declared that she just took longer to be comfortable as a female than most typical girls, and was glad that her requests to become a boy were ignored by her mother.......what's a parent to do these days?

Whatever the right course of action is, the issues of gender confusion and gender non-conformity sure show us that not everybody comes into this world following some cookie-cutter design to be male or female....let alone have the usual sexual attractions!

Lesbians are able to bear children by in vitro fertilization.

Homosexuality helps to limit dangerous runaway population growth. There are far too many people in some countries, not too few. In addition, every new person on the earth contributes to global warming, and uses valuable food and water resources.

What options does nekoboy suggest for homosexuals? Even some supporters of reparative therapy have admitted that it only works about 30% of the time, and works best by far for religiously motivated homosexuals.

Many homosexuals have unsuccessfully tried to give up homosexuality, and became very unhappy during their attempts to give it up.

Initial sexual identity is not a choice, and is generally difficult to change.
Why not just go straight to the positives that homosexuals can bring to the table? I work with a gay person. He's funny as hell, and he totally respects that I am happily married. it's a great office....

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Lesbians are able to bear children by in vitro fertilization.

Homosexuality helps to limit dangerous runaway population growth. There are far too many people in some countries, not too few. In addition, every new person on the earth contributes to global warming, and uses valuable food and water resources.

What options does nekoboy suggest for homosexuals? Even some supporters of reparative therapy have admitted that it only works about 30% of the time, and works best by far for religiously motivated homosexuals.

Many homosexuals have unsuccessfully tried to give up homosexuality, and became very unhappy during their attempts to give it up.

Initial sexual identity is not a choice, and is generally difficult to change.

In my opinion, reparative therapy is only of benefit to those who genuinely want such therapy. I resent that society pressures people to change the manner in which they identify in terms of gender and sexuality.

People in general are typically able to benefit to society in some way. When I look at a homosexual, I don't particularly like to credit their worth to their sexual preference.

Agnostic75

dawny0826 said:
In my opinion, reparative therapy is only of benefit to those who genuinely want such therapy.

Yes, research has shown that motivation is the key factor, usually religious motivation. However, even many religiously motivated homosexuals are not able to become sexually interested in the opposite sex, and if they want to give up homosexuality, their only choice is to become celibate for life, and often have to endure sexual frustration, and loneliness for the rest of their lives, and are often even afraid to masturbate because they believe that God will punish them.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
In my opinion, reparative therapy is only of benefit to those who genuinely want such therapy. I resent that society pressures people to change the manner in which they identify in terms of gender and sexuality.
I think what you're saying here is a bit conflicted. I think that generally, when people want to enter "reparative therapy", it's because of those social pressures that you say you resent.

CynthiaCypher

I think what you're saying here is a bit conflicted. I think that generally, when people want to enter "reparative therapy", it's because of those social pressures that you say you resent.

What you said and the fact that "reparative therapy" is pseudo science and is rejection by the APA. The only thing that needs "reparative therapy" is society in it's attitudes towards homosexuality.

Text of APA Resolution on "Reparative Therapy"

http://www.psych.org/Departments/ED...entsandRelated/PositionStatements/200001.aspx

http://www.psych.org/Departments/ED...ntsandRelated/PositionStatements/200001a.aspx

Last edited:

dawny0826

Mother Heathen

:shrug:

If someone enters such therapy by personal choice because they feel inclined to do so, are the reasons behind their decision our business?

Someone could perceive such therapy as a positive.

gnomon

I would say it's our business.

The primary reason for such therapy is due to religious beliefs that are not grounded in reality. The continued existence of such programs is a failing of our culture.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
If someone enters such therapy by personal choice because they feel inclined to do so, are the reasons behind their decision our business?
I would have to say yes.
Mainly because I cannot think of a reason why they would want to change that does not deal directly with unwarranted pressures from friends, family, and or society.

Now i will readily change my yes to a no or perhaps if some one can present a realistic reason that has nothing to do with unwarranted pressure from friends, family and or society.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
I would say it's our business.

The primary reason for such therapy is due to religious beliefs that are not grounded in reality. The continued existence of such programs is a failing of our culture.

I'm not saying that I necessarily disagree with you, but I believe that adults should be able to make their own decisions based upon their religious convictions and I think it possible for someone to do so without regret.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
I would have to say yes.
Mainly because I cannot think of a reason why they would want to change that does not deal directly with unwarranted pressures from friends, family, and or society.

Now i will readily change my yes to a no or perhaps if some one can present a realistic reason that has nothing to do with unwarranted pressure from friends, family and or society.

I'm with you.