• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How hard is it to watch people heading for hell

Alceste

Vagabond
One more reason I'm glad I don't live in the US - I'm a habitual barger. One or two knocks, then I just go in. Works fine because nobody locks their houses around here when they're home. Saves them the trouble of walking all the way to the door.

Smoke

Done here.
One more reason I'm glad I don't live in the US - I'm a habitual barger. One or two knocks, then I just go in. Works fine because nobody locks their houses around here when they're home. Saves them the trouble of walking all the way to the door.

I have to know somebody very well to barge in. My friend Mikey insisted on it, and my Granny didn't mind, but they're both dead. Even at my parents' house, I ring the bell on my way in; I just don't wait for them to answer.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
LOL Me too. I knock and wait to go in at my parents' houses. There's no way I can just barge in. I'll use the spare key only if my parents say ahead of time that I can go inside if they're not home.

We certainly do value privacy and property, don't we?

So, uh, about hell......wasn't that what we were talking about?

Alceste

Vagabond
I have to know somebody very well to barge in. My friend Mikey insisted on it, and my Granny didn't mind, but they're both dead. Even at my parents' house, I ring the bell on my way in; I just don't wait for them to answer.

Well, I do try to consider the sensibilities of the people I'm visiting. Some people I barely know seem like the "don't bother knocking - just come on in" sort, while my grandmother's sister, she of the ubiquitous doilies, who I've known all my life, gets the doorbell treatment.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
As a Christian it is very hard to watch people headed to hell. I want to grab them and shake them and tell them to wake up, you don't have to go there. That is one of the toughest things about being a Christian. I consider how C.S. Lewis had to do it, how Billy Graham has to do it, how John Wesley had to do it. That keeps me moving, keeps me knocking on doors, keeps me asking, prodding, urging, teaching, instructing, preaching, helping, giving, visiting. Within the first 5 minutes of meeting someone I can usually tell if they are headed to hell and I think to myself, what is the point of living for the devil?
As a Christian, it is very hard to watch people who assert that they're watching people headed to hell. It makes my skin crawl to think that someone is on the loose, grabbing, shaking and preaching to people in the name of Xy. It makes me wonder about someone's spiritual health, if they're so worried about putting labels on folks and stuffing them into boxes before they really get to know them well. Further, it frightens me to think that "practitioners" view salvation as a formulaic event, rather than a lifelong process of becoming.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Your postie doesn't come in during the middle of the night for example now does he? Nor does put a balaclava over his face and start shifting through your things and runs off with your electrical equipment now, right?
No, but your teenage son or daughter who told you he was going to bed but snuck out to party and is now trying to get back to his room undetected might seem pretty threatening at first glance in the dark as he sneaks up the stairs to where your family is sleeping.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
No, but your teenage son or daughter who told you he was going to bed but snuck out to party and is now trying to get back to his room undetected might seem pretty threatening at first glance in the dark as he sneaks up the stairs to where your family is sleeping.

Light switches are there for a reason.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Light switches are there for a reason.
You expect a teenager who's sneaking in after curfew following a night of parentally-disapproved partying to turn on the lights, announcing to the rest of the family that they've come in late?

In my house growing up, the punishment for disobeying my parents was usually something like grounding, not death by firing squad.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
You expect a teenager who's sneaking in after curfew following a night of parentally-disapproved partying to turn on the lights, announcing to the rest of the family that they've come in late?
No, I expect the person coming to check where the noise is coming from to put the light on before he goes firing at people in the dark.

If someone can't turn the light on before they start shooting the crap out of people in the middle of the night, they shouldn't be trusted to cut their own food, much less own a gun.

Wotan

As a Christian, it is very hard to watch people who assert that they're watching people headed to hell. It makes my skin crawl to think that someone is on the loose, grabbing, shaking and preaching to people in the name of Xy. It makes me wonder about someone's spiritual health, if they're so worried about putting labels on folks and stuffing them into boxes before they really get to know them well. Further, it frightens me to think that "practitioners" view salvation as a formulaic event, rather than a lifelong process of becoming.

That IS the myth SJ. Try to dress it up all you like but the fundies DO have the verses to back them up.

All you got is a deeply offended sense of fair play. You might think about that some dark evening setting in the study with the Mozart's Requiem playing and the dim lights casting shadows on the walls.

Abulafia

What?
No, I expect the person coming to check where the noise is coming from to put the light on before he goes firing at people in the dark.

If someone can't turn the light on before they start shooting the crap out of people in the middle of the night, they shouldn't be trusted to cut their own food, much less own a gun.

Quick, Shhhhh....don't incur the wrath of the indigenous Prop.2 radicals....

Oh no...too late...:(

"Maraudin' Methusaleh, we've got ourselves a Yank'-Spoutin' varmit of a 'coon stealer!!" :faint:

Abulafia

What?

Where do you live? Scandanavia? :eek:

Abulafia

What?
Heh - no, British Columbia. We do have guns, but we mainly just use them on deer and bears, not each other.

Ah.

I think Scandanavians are such an irenic people because of the marauding Norse-men ghosts who appear on their doorsteps.

Such a radical change in disposition.

They got it out of their system BEFORE they had nukes. :D

Bella Truth

*It's time for the truth*
As a Christian it is very hard to watch people headed to hell. I want to grab them and shake them and tell them to wake up, you don't have to go there. That is one of the toughest things about being a Christian. I consider how C.S. Lewis had to do it, how Billy Graham has to do it, how John Wesley had to do it. That keeps me moving, keeps me knocking on doors, keeps me asking, prodding, urging, teaching, instructing, preaching, helping, giving, visiting. Within the first 5 minutes of meeting someone I can usually tell if they are headed to hell and I think to myself, what is the point of living for the devil?

Oh dear... you can tell within the first 5 minutes of meeting someone if they are headed to hell? Well that would make you only 1 of 2 things- either you are extremely judgmental- which wouldnt do you any favours in getting to heaven OR you are psychic!! Which will most likely get you to hell too according to your beliefs??

I think people today are too worried about comparing themselves to the next guy rather than looking at the state of their own heart.

Living in fear is a waste of the limited time we have on this beautiful planet.

Misty

Oh dear... you can tell within the first 5 minutes of meeting someone if they are headed to hell? Well that would make you only 1 of 2 things- either you are extremely judgmental- which wouldnt do you any favours in getting to heaven OR you are psychic!! Which will most likely get you to hell too according to your beliefs??

I think people today are too worried about comparing themselves to the next guy rather than looking at the state of their own heart.

Living in fear is a waste of the limited time we have on this beautiful planet.

Good post.:yes:

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Don't try that in the UK they would throw away the key when they locked you up!:yes:

You crack me up Misty, why on earth would I even worry about law enforcement when there are huge flying locust everywhere? If there was an apocalypse, I believe law enforcement would be too overwhelmed to even show up for work. :sorry1:

Misty

You crack me up Misty, why on earth would I even worry about law enforcement when there are huge flying locust everywhere? If there was an apocalypse, I believe law enforcement would be too overwhelmed to even show up for work. :sorry1:

Ehhhhhhhhhh?

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
But you can't shoot someone just for breaking into your house! Anyway someone might be there quite innocently. For instance the postman often opens my front door to put the post on the mat if it is too large for the letterbox, if I shot him when he opened the door, not realising who it was, that would be terrible and I would have a life sentence!

It depends on which state you live in. Here in Kentucky we have a "castle law". If you break in my house, I have every right to kill you.

If you think that is extreme, you should look at Texas law. They can shoot trespassers on their property. :yes:

Misty

It depends on which state you live in. Here in Kentucky we have a "castle law". If you break in my house, I have every right to kill you.

If you think that is extreme, you should look at Texas law. They can shoot trespassers on their property. :yes:

As I said before I am glad I live in the UK, not the Wild West! :yes: