• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How hard is it to watch people heading for hell

Dezzie

My husband was a Christian until I ask him the simple question, "Am I going to Hell because I don't believe in the same things?" It was a very emotional day... that is also the day he changed. He couldn't put the thought in his mind that I (a good person) would be punished for not believing the same as him. He didn't want to believe it. Now, he's in bad terms with religion all together. He said it causes way too much hatred and heartache. He changed for me that day... I still can't believe he did. I even told him I didn't want him to change because I loved everything about him. I still do... his belief just isn't the same anymore. Nor is mine...

Just figured I would share a personal experience. :)

Misty

My husband was a Christian until I ask him the simple question, "Am I going to Hell because I don't believe in the same things?" It was a very emotional day... that is also the day he changed. He couldn't put the thought in his mind that I (a good person) would be punished for not believing the same as him. He didn't want to believe it. Now, he's in bad terms with religion all together. He said it causes way too much hatred and heartache. He changed for me that day... I still can't believe he did. I even told him I didn't want him to change because I loved everything about him. I still do... his belief just isn't the same anymore. Nor is mine...

Your husband is obviously a very decent man.:)

Evandr

Stripling Warrior

A very personal experience to be sure but I have a question for you. Although you and your husband have experienced a change in your attitudes about religion do you think anything else has changed? What I'm getting at is has God changed or just your concept of Him? Has Jesus Christ changed or have His commandments changed because of your experience?

You posed a very valid question to your husband and it bothered him and now, if I heard you right, he has rejected religion all together. Does his rejection of a particular dogma warrant the idea that there is no truth anywhere or that the truth cannot be discovered?

Just because there has been a disillusionment with one belief system does not mean that there cannot be one out there that makes sense, one that allows God to be God complete with all the values we have come to define Him by, including a perfect sense of Love and Mercy, while still allowing for justice to be perfect in its execution.

Remember, ceasing to walk down the wrong path does not release one from the responsibility of finding the correct one, indeed, being complacent in doing nothing at all is a path unto itself. If you are not moving forward, you are moving backward. I hope that together you and you husband can find the path that God would want you on, I’m quite sure that that path is not going to lead anyone to the Hell thought of by the vast majority of Christian religions.

Misty

Remember, ceasing to walk down the wrong path does not release one from the responsibility of finding the correct one,

We should only take the so called 'path' that seems right for us, that could well be unbelief. I bet no one has the handle on the elusive 'truth' even if they think they have!

Man of Faith

There's the rub. See, I was raised christian and followed that teaching for many many years. One of the things that started me questioning and doubting was the people calling themselves "christians". There was no change. Sure,they claimed all sorts of change and on the outside even tried to show their changes,but fundamentally they were the same. The ones who were ***** before where still *****, just sugar coated. The good people remained good people.
The only way to convert or teach anybody is to live in such a way that they become attracted to your way of life and begin to question you about it. If you cannot demonstrate that you live a better,more enlightened or more spiritual life in your day to day activities, why would I or anyone else believe you when you start preaching?
If I showed up at your door driving a rusted out Chevette and wearing ratty clothes and tried to sell you my own personal path to wealth and prosperity,would you bite? This,essentially, is what most Christians and others who are "witnessing" are doing. If you life doesn't tell me who you are,there's no point in talking. If I haven't known you long enough to make that judgement,why the heck would I believe anything you said anyway?

If you showed up at my home you would would find no alcohol, no cursing, no blasphemy, a cross on my mantel, lots of saying amen, a TVGuardian, internet filters, 25 or so Bibles, lot's of Christian literature and teaching materials, you might find me gone visiting the widows and sick. You would find a peaceful relaxed, loving atmosphere built on the golden rule, which is in the Bible by the way. And then I would ask you about our soul and where will it spend eternity.

Misty

If you showed up at my home you would would find no alcohol, no cursing, no blasphemy, a cross on my mantel, lots of saying amen, a TVGuardian, internet filters, 25 or so Bibles, lot's of Christian literature and teaching materials, you might find me gone visiting the widows and sick. You would find a peaceful relaxed, loving atmpsphere built on the golden rule. And then I would ask you about our soul and where will it spend eternity.

OMG I think I will stay away from your home, how BORING! I like a little whisky, in moderation, each day!

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
OMG I think I will stay away from your home, how BORING! I like a little whisky, in moderation, each day!

Whiskey? We got some.

Beer? Got some of that.

Wine? Down to a few bottles. We want to go shopping.

At our house we also have a HUGE eclectic collection of music, movies of each kind of ratings, and somewhere in my personal stuff are various means of punishment for misbehaving adults. As a household, we live to engage with each other for pretty much one reason: to live in the moment in laughter and fun.

Oh.....we do in fact have two Bibles. They're right next to one of George Carlins books on our bookshelf.

Misty

Whiskey? We got some.

Beer? Got some of that.

Wine? Down to a few bottles. We want to go shopping.

At our house we also have a HUGE eclectic collection of music, movies of each kind of ratings, and somewhere in my personal stuff are various means of punishment for misbehaving adults. As a household, we live to engage with each other for pretty much one reason: to live in the moment in laughter and fun.

Oh.....we do in fact have two Bibles. They're right next to one of George Carlins books on our bookshelf.

Nice one!:yes::D

Kerr

If you showed up at my home you would would find no alcohol, no cursing, no blasphemy, a cross on my mantel, lots of saying amen, a TVGuardian, internet filters, 25 or so Bibles, lot's of Christian literature and teaching materials, you might find me gone visiting the widows and sick. You would find a peaceful relaxed, loving atmosphere built on the golden rule, which is in the Bible by the way. And then I would ask you about our soul and where will it spend eternity.
I live at my parents home. Despite that I am not a perfect son, far from it, they always treat me well. The atmosphere is like... calm, peaceful. And they are not Christians, but they are among the kindest people I know. And that by just being themselves. Do you think they would end up in a worse place then you?

Dezzie

do you think anything else has changed?

Can you give me an example as to something else that could have changed?
What I'm getting at is has God changed or just your concept of Him?

My concept of God is what changed. I just don't think that God would punish good people. I help others... give homeless men money (even though I don't have a lot myself), and I really care about the world and our future. I'm not 100% sure on how my husbands concept changed... He believes in God still, that didn't change but he isn't set on just one religion anymore. I've tried to talk about it with him but he just doesn't usually want to. We are going to talk today about things and this is a good topic to talk about.

Has Jesus Christ changed or have His commandments changed because of your experience?

For me... I believe Jesus Christ was a man and very possibly could have helped people... I don't believe in the concept that you have to believe Jesus died for your sins to go to Heaven. It seems unfair to me to be honest. I don't know for a fact either that people know everything about Jesus Christ. As far as how my husband, I'm not sure exactly... like I said, he gets kind of aggravated when we talk about it.

Does his rejection of a particular dogma warrant the idea that there is no truth anywhere or that the truth cannot be discovered?

As I mentioned above, he believes in God. I've mentioned to him that he can believe what ever he wants to. If he thinks that God wouldn't send a good person to Hell, well, don't believe it. That's what religion seems like to me anyway.

Just because there has been a disillusionment with one belief system does not mean that there cannot be one out there that makes sense, one that allows God to be God complete with all the values we have come to define Him by, including a perfect sense of Love and Mercy, while still allowing for justice to be perfect in its execution.

I agree with you on this statement completely. My husband seems to have a cold heart against all religion though despite the fact he believes in God. He grew up a Christian... his stepmom preaching it to him and his brother. I think he is afraid to say out loud he doesn't believe something... or if he still does believe in Hell and that I'll go there, he most likely doesn't want me to know. As far as myself goes, I love all religions and don't find anything wrong with any of them. It's the people who can have a tendency to make it into something it's not.

Remember, ceasing to walk down the wrong path does not release one from the responsibility of finding the correct one, indeed, being complacent in doing nothing at all is a path unto itself. If you are not moving forward, you are moving backward. I hope that together you and you husband can find the path that God would want you on, I’m quite sure that that path is not going to lead anyone to the Hell thought of by the vast majority of Christian religions.

Thank you... I hope we can come to terms and find what path we belong on. I've been digging into History a lot lately and have realized different possibilities as far as religion is concerned. He has heard and watched some of the things I have and he seems to find it interesting as well.

Man of Faith

I live at my parents home. Despite that I am not a perfect son, far from it, they always treat me well. The atmosphere is like... calm, peaceful. And they are not Christians, but they are among the kindest people I know. And that by just being themselves. Do you think they would end up in a worse place then you?

What you are doing is comparing human beings to other human beings. Ask them if they ever hated anyone, or lusted after anyone, or lied, stole, cheated, etc... You will soon find that they aren't as good as you thought. If they don't have representation when they stand before a Holy, wrathful and vengeful God they will be turned away and there is only one other place to go.

All humans have the ability and capacity to be good and kind, because they were created in the image of God, but they are also all filthy and guilty on the inside when compared to the Holiness of God.

Misty

What you are doing is comparing human beings to other human beings. Ask them if they ever hated anyone, or lusted after anyone, or lied, stole, cheated, etc... You will soon find that they aren't as good as you thought. If they don't have representation when they stand before a Holy, wrathful and vengeful God they will be turned away and there is only one other place to go.

All humans have the ability and capacity to be good and kind, because they were created in the image of God, but they are also all filthy and guilty on the inside when compared to the Holiness of God.

What a horrible take you have on humanity. There are many people in this world who are wonderful people to whom your version of the deity wouldn't be worthy enough to lick their shoes!:eek:

Man of Faith

What a horrible take you have on humanity. There are many people in this world who are wonderful people to whom your version of the deity wouldn't be worthy enough to lick their shoes!:eek:

You know, whisky has the ability to alter perception of reality.

Last edited:

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Be careful not to do your 'acts of righteousness' before men, to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.
So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full.
But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing
so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.
And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full.
But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
As a Christian it is very hard to watch people headed to hell. I want to grab them and shake them and tell them to wake up, you don't have to go there. That is one of the toughest things about being a Christian.

That is one of the toughest things about being human, to be more accurate.

I consider how C.S. Lewis had to do it, how Billy Graham has to do it, how John Wesley had to do it. That keeps me moving, keeps me knocking on doors, keeps me asking, prodding, urging, teaching, instructing, preaching, helping, giving, visiting. Within the first 5 minutes of meeting someone I can usually tell if they are headed to hell and I think to myself, what is the point of living for the devil?

People don't live for the devil. The devil doesn't even exist except as a name for certain fears and feelings.

Allow me to say, realizing that people are headed to hell (or already living there, which happens often) is not particularly difficult. The real challenge is in learning how to motivate them to want out of there. It is often risky and difficult, which I guess is the reason why the Christian concept of Sacrifice is so powerful.

jmvizanko

Uber Tool
I am as sure that I am not going to hell for not being a Christian as you are sure that you are not going to hell for not being a Muslim.