• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Many Scientists Fabricate and Falsify Research?

Man of Faith

Yes, and cherry picked a typo from it, which is inconsistent with the rest of the statistical findings in the report. Why did you do that?

I didn't know it was a typo, or I wouldn't have done that. I saw something that was making a good argument for me and I went for it. It was analogous to finding a shiny nickle on the ground.

Man of Faith

I'm not used to ready scientific papers. If it was the Bible I would have known what to do. Let me apologize for posting a typo.

Alceste

Vagabond
I didn't know it was a typo, or I wouldn't have done that. I saw something that was making a good argument for me and I went for it. It was analogous to finding a shiny nickle on the ground.

This is the fundamental difference between "creation science" and science.

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
Thank you but I think we have established that, I am working on my next angle.

What does that mean? You're going to drop this argument like a hot rock and look for the next "shiny nickel"?

Did it ever occur to you to stop looking for convenient "shiny nickels" and actually take the time to study evolutionary biology (since you're so interested in it)?

Alceste

Vagabond
If I was a scientist you might could say that. :no:

You haven't explained why a typo suggesting that scientists are pathological liars would appear to you like "a shiny nickel" that would "help your argument". Auto also has been probing on this subject and you haven't replied to her either - do you have a problem with the scientific method? Is that your argument?

Man of Faith

I scientifically verified that I posted a typo (by accident) in the OP and corrected it. See the typo and correction below. And I apologize to the scientific community and the scientists on this forum. Thank you.

Typo:
81% were “willing to select, omit or fabricate data to win a grant or publish a paper”

Correction:
15% were “willing to select, omit or fabricate data to win a grant or publish a paper”

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I'm not used to ready scientific papers. If it was the Bible I would have known what to do. Let me apologize for posting a typo.

It would help to study science and methodology more and to formulate a discipline in yourself in order to help better notice details. Also an emotional argument while serving some benefit in an ethereal sense, is simply no substitute for rationality. It might help out if you should go for a clash in order to get a point across. :sw:

Man of Faith

So scientists are honest after all, well that doesn't mean they couldn't still be wrong. I need to find that shiney nickle. :D

OmarKhayyam

I admit, I know more about God than science, but is that a bad thing? Which one will help more when I die? Every day I am learning more about God, science not so much, but I'm okay with that because that is my priority. Our revival is coming up in a couple weeks, I've go to go thourgh our churchs training in order to be prepared to lead those poor souls to faith and knowledge in the Lord Jesus Christ. I mean somebody has go to do it. We need scientists and we need those that are willing to do God's work.

It is a bad thing if you pretend to knowledge you do not have. You know less than nothing about Toe and have proved that beyond doubt. Further you don't CARE. So why should any of us (including your children) pay any attention to anything you say on the subject?

As for needing it no you won't. You won't "need" anything.You will be dead.

Alceste

Vagabond
OK, so now we're on track for a discussion of whether the selective use, omission or fabrication of data is a reason to be skeptical of science in general.

My opinion is yes, absolutely. The scientists we should be most skeptical of are those who are financed by corporations who stand to profit from the dissemination of false information. Good examples would be climate change skeptics, GMO advocates and the biomedical industry. A little bit of scientific misinformation in these fields can cause catastrophic harm to humanity and the ecosystem that sustains us, so we should be very careful what we believe if it comes from scientists whose funding is tied to corporate profits.

On the other hand, I simply can't see who stands to make a vast fortune from spreading misinformation about evolutionary biology. Sure, biologists make a living doing their jobs, but their wages don't increase in direct proportion to their willingness to lie about their findings - as they do in the fields of climate change, GMO and biomedical research.

Man of Faith

OK, so now we're on track for a discussion of whether the selective use, omission or fabrication of data is a reason to be skeptical of science in general.

On the other hand, I simply can't see who stands to make a vast fortune from spreading misinformation about evolutionary biology. Sure, biologists make a living doing their jobs, but their wages don't increase in direct proportion to their willingness to lie about their findings - as they do in the fields of climate change, GMO and biomedical research.

Somone needs to watch Expelled the movie.