• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Odd Is Putin's Russia?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
One should base relations with other countries based on the evidence, not on what happened a century ago with people that are long gone.

Oh? So, there's no evidence of what happened a century ago? Is there some statute of limitations you're invoking here?

At present, there is zero, ZERO, reasons for Russians to be worried about any sort of invasion or attack from the western side of there border.

I would agree that it's extremely unlikely that any such invasion or attack would happen today, but to say "ZERO" like that is spreading it on too thick. There was "ZERO" reason for NATO to go on existing after the collapse of the USSR and dissolution of the Warsaw Pact, but they went ahead and did it anyway.

Moreover, hostility and malignancy do not begin and end with an outright open invasion or attack. The West's approach tends to be more subtle, which can allow them a certain degree of plausible deniability. The state of the world can also change. Countries and governments can change sides literally overnight. It does happen. Anything is possible, so I can't accept your emphatic "ZERO" as some kind of prediction with 100% reliability.

Au contraire in fact. There was economic interdependence, what with all the gas imports etc.

Yes, just like the oil-rich Middle East, we've become economically interdependent with them. And so we have troops scattered around there, too - and many of the locals don't really like that too much. Even in Western Europe, our closest allies seem to expressing visible irritation with America these days. Some have even expressed a degree of fear of America, as they don't really know what we're going to do. I'm an American, and even I don't know.

No it's not.
You don't need to fear an attack or act of aggression from a defensive alliance.

See, you're just talking about paper law here. Because it says something on paper or given an endorsement by lawyers and politicians, you accept that as some kind of irrefutable reality. Every treaty is just a promise, saying "Trust us."

You only need to fear such an alliance if you yourself plan on attacking members of it. :shrug:

Another possible reason to fear such an alliance is if you don't really trust the word or the integrity of the governments and leaders of the nations which comprise that alliance. Or maybe they don't feel they can count on the stability of our governments. Some people are worried about what the US government might look like a year from now. There's also been a resurgence of right-wing nationalism in European countries which could change things.

I don't think they fear a "defensive alliance" as such, but the countries and the politics involved are a far different matter.

It matters when the point of discussion is if they need to be worried about the border with that alliance.

Any country in a similar situation would also have reasonable cause for concern, regardless of the pretexts or the publicly-stated objectives. The US has had misgivings and worries about Cuba and Nicaragua becoming pro-Soviet. Even if they were just allied defensively, they still had cause to worry. Why is it so difficult to understand that that Russians could have similar worries about a rival power bloc establishing a military presence on their border?

It is exactly on-point, since the point of discussion is if Russia needs to be worried about being attacked by NATO :shrug:

NATO's raison d'être is DEFENSE in case of BEING attacked.
There is NOTHING in the treaty / manifesto which warrants any kind of attack / first strike. At all.
It is all about what happens when a member is attacked and nothing else.

I'm well aware of the contents of the treaty. But my point is that, in war, defining who is the "aggressor" and who is the "defender" is a legal technicality, decided by lawyers and politicians. Sometimes, a biased media can help, with selective reportage of the facts. Again, these things do happen. They've happened before. Not with "NATO" specifically as a group, but one has to look at the larger picture here.

Well, no...to be exact, there is also some stuff about criteria that must be fulfilled for a country to be able to become a member...

The point is, there is nothing there that would warrant any kind of attack / act of aggression.
In fact, suppose Ukraine was a member.
Suppose Ukraine mounts an attack on Russia as an act of aggression.
Suppose Russia then responds with a counter-attack.

This attack would not warrant an activation of article 5, because Ukraine would be the aggressor.

The treaty protects members against aggressors. It does not protect members that are the aggressors themselves.

That wouldn't necessarily stop other countries from helping them or joining them, even if the NATO treaty would not apply. If the other NATO countries get together and decide that it does, then it's a done deal. It's all subject to interpretation.

I'm not saying that NATO or the U.S. would wantonly attack Russia or any other country, but we have used our economic power and great military might to intimidate and use as leverage to get what our leaders want.

However, NATO is also being put to a bit of a test here. The Ukraine-Russia War has reached a point of stalemate, and it could go on like this for quite some time. It's expected that NATO will continue to send military aid to Ukraine, but will not join the war on the Ukrainian side. The risk is too great.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Does this mean that you believe there's no
existential threat to Russia posed by NATO?
Do you think Russia believes this too?

I don't believe that NATO, as a specific organization, threatens Russia. But I don't think that can account for the governments and politics of all 30 member nations.

I don't know what Russia believes at present, but all I can say is that over the course of their history, one can observe a certain undercurrent of xenophobia and fear of the West. It seems plausible that an unscrupulous and ambitious individual in Russia could capitalize on that and gain hearts and minds to gain political power.

Russia didn't seek just non-aggression with Germany.
They divided up Europe based on mutually conquering it.

Goodness gracious, man....you state things
in a manner to make USSR appear benign
or even positive. You can understand why
I see you as very pro-Russia.

I just try to look at all sides in a given conflict and dispute. They have a point of view just as Americans do. I'm not saying that anyone has to like it or agree with it, but it is what it is.

Whether or not you see me as "pro-Russia" doesn't really have any relevance here, since we're not currently at war with Russia, and in WW2, we were allies with the USSR. Our own government agreed to the post-WW2 border arrangements and occupation zones. FDR and Truman took a flak from people over that. Some people thought they were "pro-Russia." We decided to stop being allies with Russia at that point.

I was born and raised in America, raised in a politically-mixed but reasonably patriotic family, pro-American, anti-Soviet, anti-communist, anti-fascist, pro-democracy, etc. I took an interest in Russia for a variety of reasons. If nothing else, if (as I was originally taught) they were some enemy nation out to destroy us, I wanted to learn and find out the reasons why.

Perhaps my fault is in expressing some of these reasons in a matter of fact manner. Perhaps it sounds too dry or just doesn't carry enough punch. Maybe it's too long-winded, like a Russian novel. I'll try to work on that.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Give me one piece of evidence that there is any force anywhere in NATO contemplating even invading an inch of Russian territory.

The fact is that there is no iota of evidence of this. NOT EVEN TODAY, with current Russian aggression.
Even IF NATO would move into Ukraine to help them fight the Russians, they'ld drive them back to behind their border and halt there.

There is no evidence today. This is true. But there are no guarantees with anything. We don't know what the future may hold. Sometimes, we have to hedge our bets and play the smart hand.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I don't believe that NATO, as a specific organization, threatens Russia. But I don't think that can account for the governments and politics of all 30 member nations.

I don't know what Russia believes at present, but all I can say is that over the course of their history, one can observe a certain undercurrent of xenophobia and fear of the West. It seems plausible that an unscrupulous and ambitious individual in Russia could capitalize on that and gain hearts and minds to gain political power.

I just try to look at all sides in a given conflict and dispute. They have a point of view just as Americans do. I'm not saying that anyone has to like it or agree with it, but it is what it is.
Which NATO members do you (or Russia)
believe pose a severe risk to Russia?
Whether or not you see me as "pro-Russia" doesn't really have any relevance here, since we're not currently at war with Russia, and in WW2, we were allies with the USSR.
It's just a parenthetical item.

RestlessSoul

Give me one piece of evidence that there is any force anywhere in NATO contemplating even invading an inch of Russian territory.

The fact is that there is no iota of evidence of this. NOT EVEN TODAY, with current Russian aggression.
Even IF NATO would move into Ukraine to help them fight the Russians, they'ld drive them back to behind their border and halt there.

I believe most NATO leaders would like to see Crimea returned to Ukraine. Which I doubt any Russian leader will ever find acceptable.

PureX

Veteran Member
1. Biden and Trump both would have dropped dead from exhaustion trying to climb all those stairs and walk that briskly all that way.

2. It's surprising how boring a person becomes when his ego is allowed to run amok. Red carpet, check, adoring throngs, check, elaborate military uniforms, check, giant gold doors opening for his-highness, check, speaker's podium on high, check, ranting and raging from his podium on high to instill rapt fear in his adoring throngs, check (you know that's what came next). And we've seen it all before. So many times.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
The treaty is the treaty. It's like a contract.
And they did.

Are they? It doesn't look like it. Ukraine doesn't even get a fraction of what they would want to have.
Every western country has big internal debates on what to donate, if anything.
2 years on and still there is much reluctance and internal discussion on sending for example F16's, which Ukraine has been begging for since day 1.

People tend to act as if all this is on the initiative of "the west". It isn't. Ukraine is the demanding party here and it's not even getting a fraction of what they are asking for. Ukraine has been BEGGING the world since day 1.

If it were up to Ukraine, NATO would have send in armies and enforced no-fly zones on day 1 of the invasion.
We are more then 2 years on now and none of that has happened.
There are always ways. NATO technically is not involved in Russia-Ukraine war, but all NATO countries are helping Ukraine in their individual capacity. That makes it a NATO-Russia war. Is that any different from NATO involvement?
Which is unfortunate. The war is more than 2 years-old, a large number of Ukrainian citizens have died, injured or have left Ukraine. I do not know when it will end and will it escalate from the current situation? That is the problem in fighting someone else's war. The NATO countries are sitting pretty. Their solders are not fighting the war.
In spite of the discussions, US has approved sending 65 F-16s from Denmark and Netherlands. Sure, Ukraine may even like supply of atom bombs, for destruction of Russia, and consequently their own destruction and that of many other countries. NATO will not agree to that.
That is the beauty of the plan. NATO does not want a Russian defeat, that could be dangerous. Russia could use nuclear bombs. NATO wants to bleed Russia, and the war to continue. And whom they should use for this purpose? Ukraine. They are not friends of Ukraine. A friend would have sought ways to end the war.
Enforcing a non-fly zone was not their plan. That would have been direct confrontation.

Last edited:

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
There is no evidence today. This is true.

Great. This implies that Russia has no reason to be concerned.

But there are no guarantees with anything. We don't know what the future may hold. Sometimes, we have to hedge our bets and play the smart hand.
The "smart" hand does not include worrying about future Hitlers or Napoleons when there is zero evidence that any such persona are gaining power or traction or even exist.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
I believe most NATO leaders would like to see Crimea returned to Ukraine. Which I doubt any Russian leader will ever find acceptable.

No NATO leader want Crimea (and eastern Ukraine) returned to Ukraine control as much as Ukraine itself.
Also, it's not just NATO, it's actually most of the UN as most countries in the world don't recognize the annexation as legal and rather consider it illegal occupation.

But primarily, not a single NATO leader is considering moving into Crimea with an army to kick Russians out.

And off course also, Crimea is not Russia. It's Ukraine.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
There are always ways.

Not as per the treaty. You keep ignoring this point.

NATO technically is not involved in Russia-Ukraine war, but all NATO countries are helping Ukraine in their individual capacity. That makes it a NATO-Russia war. Is that any different from NATO involvement?

Is there actually a collective NATO help operation? There isn't as far as I can see. Individual countries are sending help. Many of which are NATO members. Many of which also aren't in NATO at all.

Which is unfortunate.

Why is it "unfortunate"? Do you think it would have been better if nobody helped Ukraine and just allowed Russia to bomb the country to the ground, conquer it and occupy it completely, execute its leaders and installed a pro-russian puppet regime?

The war is more than 2 years-old, a large number of Ukrainian citizens have died, injured or have left Ukraine. I do not know when it will end and will it escalate from the current situation? That is the problem in fighting someone else's war.

Nobody is fighting someone else's war here. Ukraine is fighting the war. Which is to say: defending itself against a foreign invader. It's Ukrainians fighting and begging the world to help them with supply of weapons.

The NATO countries are sitting pretty. Their solders are not fighting the war.
In spite of the discussions, US has approved sending 65 F-16s from Denmark and Netherlands. Sure, Ukraine may even like supply of atom bombs, for destruction of Russia, and consequently their own destruction and that of many other countries. NATO will not agree to that.
That is the beauty of the plan. NATO does not want a Russian defeat, that could be dangerous. Russia could use nuclear bombs. NATO wants to bleed Russia, and the war to continue.

NATO, and the rest of the civilized world, would like nothing more then for Russia to stop its aggression and stop the war and return their army back to their own borders.

Why do you seem to imply that the best course of action to end the war is for Ukraine to stop defending itself against a foreign aggression and just allow itself to be conquered?

And whom they should use for this purpose? Ukraine.

Nobody is "using" Ukraine. Again: Ukraine is the demanding party here. They are the ones begging for help and they are not even receiving a fraction of what they would want to have. Ukraine is fighting its own battle. It doesn't have enough weapons to do so, so it begs the world to provide them with weapons.

Nobody outside of Ukraine is "demanding" Ukraine to fight. Nobody is "forcing" them to defend themselves.

They are not friends of Ukraine. A friend would have sought ways to end the war.

A friend would not "end the war" by not sending weapons and asking them to simply roll over and be conquered.
Yes, the easiest way to end a war is by losing it - sure.

Europe wouldn't have been burning for 5 years during WW2 if nobody resisted the invading armies of Nazi Germany either.

:shrug:

Enforcing a non-fly zone was not their plan. That would have been direct confrontation.
Indeed. But Ukraine still begged for it.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Which NATO members do you (or Russia)
believe pose a severe risk to Russia?

At present, I'm not sure there are any. But then again, I don't have access to the same level of information that the Russians might have.

One thing that comes to mind is that Snowden arrived there in 2013, a year before the invasion of Crimea. And the US government was hot to get their hands on Snowden. They were totally desperate about it, as if they had something to hide. Snowden himself said that he did what he did because he was disillusioned about the US government after having seen all the skeletons in our government's closet.

Add that to what is already generally known about the NSA, CIA, military, and other government entities, then one might surmise that the US government might not be the irreproachable paragon of virtue that some people seem to think they are.

When taking things like that into consideration, it's easy to infer why they might see us as a threat. Even our European allies feel threatened by America, believing that we're mostly just a bunch of heavily armed crazy people.

It's just a parenthetical item.

I try to look at the situation from a pro-American viewpoint, actually.

From a strictly pro-American point of view, a friendly relationship with Russia could have helped us neutralize trouble spots like Iran, Syria, and North Korea - just to name a few places. Better relations with Russia could have also kept China at bay. Now that we're practically driving Russia into the arms of the Chinese, we can expect China to get even more brazenly hostile in the future. And Russia won't behave any better either.

In contrast, adding Ukraine to our alliance only burdens it further. Ukraine can't help us against Iran, North Korea, or China. Just like South Vietnam couldn't really be an asset or help us in any meaningful way; they weakened us to the point of internal dissension and discord.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Great. This implies that Russia has no reason to be concerned.

The "smart" hand does not include worrying about future Hitlers or Napoleons when there is zero evidence that any such persona are gaining power or traction or even exist.

Sometimes, you have to expect the unexpected. A more vigilant approach with eyes open might have spared us from unpleasant surprises which our government was unprepared for (such as 9/11 or the Taliban takeover of Afghanistan after US forces pulled out). When things like that happen, it makes one wonder just who is minding the store and if they have half a clue.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Sometimes, you have to expect the unexpected.

So, should Belgium and France invade Germany because hey, who knows, perhaps one day a new Hitler will show up there?

A more vigilant approach with eyes open might have spared us from unpleasant surprises which our government was unprepared for (such as 9/11 or the Taliban takeover of Afghanistan after US forces pulled out). When things like that happen, it makes one wonder just who is minding the store and if they have half a clue.
Not sure what your point is. Are you trying to compare NATO countries to the Taliban an al-qaida?