• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to convert a Hindu

Kalidas

I stand corrected there is a passage in John AFTER the resurrection where he states that if one is not baptized under my name will be condemned.

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namaskaram satyaroop
what does christianity offer that sanatan dharma/hinduism does not?

I'm going to try to answer this question, I'm not sure how accurate my answer is, but I'll try...

a way out of poverty?
Become a christian, get the perks

if only it were that simple

and some believe that the fact that the masses of hindus are suffering in poverty is not a mere coincidence.
keep them poor - keep them vulnerable to conversion
the sadest thing is it is not the christians who are keeplng them poor but the corrupt system of their own country , the christians are simply taking advantage of a pre existing problem .
whilst there is a high percentage of so called hindu who have more concern for their own personal gain than for their fellow indian nationals then there will be poverty and where there is such injustice inflicted from the higher eschelons of indian society there will be dissatisfaction and a lack of faith in the hindu system , leaving an unhapy and neglected under class who fall prey to conversion .

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Population of India: 1.241 billion (2011)

Hindu 82% 1,017,620,000

Muslim 12% 148,920,000

Christian 2.5% 31,025,000

Sikh 2%
Buddhist 0.7%
Jain 0.5%
Zoroastrian 0.01%
Jewish 0.0005%

179,945,000 v. 1,017,620,000? Let's not forget the worldwide Indian diaspora and non-Indian Hindus worldwide who raise the total world Hindu population. I think there's a lot of hyperbole and melodrama being bandied about within the last day and a half or so. Especially coming from radicals complaining about the situation, who live in the US suckling at the teat of a largely Christian nation. The stench of hypocrisy is overwhelming. Maybe India: the people and the government ostensibly elected by the people, should look within itself, and not look for a gorilla in the woodshed.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
the sadest thing is it is not the christians who are keeplng them poor but the corrupt system of their own country , the christians are simply taking advantage of a pre existing problem

:yes: It's always been easier to point the finger at someone else instead of taking responsibility. To twist an old phrase, it's easier to curse the darkness than to light a candle. People who complain are the least likely to do anything to remedy a situation. Not to mention the complacency of the population, and corruption in government; and whose fault is that?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

Hindu 82% 1,017,620,000

Muslim 12% 148,920,000

Sikh 2%
Buddhist 0.7%
Jain 0.5%
Zoroastrian 0.01%
Jewish 0.0005%

179,945,000 v. 1,017,620,000? Let's not forget the worldwide Indian diaspora and non-Indian Hindus worldwide who raise the total world Hindu population. I think there's a lot of hyperbole and melodrama being bandied about within the last day and a half or so. Especially coming from radicals complaining about the situation, who live in the US suckling at the teat of a largely Christian nation. The stench of hypocrisy is overwhelming. Maybe India: the people and the government ostensibly elected by the people, should look within itself, and not look for a gorilla in the woodshed.

I don't believe these stats are accurate, and up to date, just based on my travels. But they could be. :)

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
That was the 2011 census data. I checked a couple of sites. One had the Christian population at 24 million, which was an older statistic. I erred on the side of caution and took the higher one. Even at that, 31 million is 2.5% of the total Indian (2011) population. It's true that census data always have +/- margins for error, and that not all populations report, or are equally distributed.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
That was the 2011 census data. I checked a couple of sites. One had the Christian population at 24 million, which was an older statistic. I erred on the side of caution and took the higher one. Even at that, 31 million is 2.5% of the total Indian (2011) population. It's true that census data always have +/- margins for error, and that not all populations report, or are equally distributed.

Yeah, I really don't know. Religious affiliation and census does little about the non-practising and practising aspect. I would venture to guess that there is a higher percentage of practising Christians, than practising Hindus, but that's just some wolf guess too. Most definitely one is a better lobbier than the other with government. What was the black/white breakdown in Rhodesia when it fell? So population isn't really a good signal to relative power.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I'd have to agree about the percentage of practitioners v. non-practitioners. In the US, while it's overwhelmingly Christian, in my experience, it's in name only. People may self-identify as X religion and report on a census as such, but it's nothing more than a family tradition or affiliation. They may not have set foot in a church, synagogue or temple in years. In my own family of Italian-American Roman Catholics (which is large), precious few, if any, attend church, except for the occasional wedding, baptism, or funeral.

satyaroop

the sadest thing is it is not the christians who are keeplng them poor but the corrupt system of their own country

you say this with a lot of conviction.
How convinced about this are you?

As an Indian Hindu, I have to admit my knowledge of indian politics is quite pathetic - I've been totally engrossed with other things and never had any interest in it.
I don't think I'm really qualified to talk about the indian leadership and it's motives.

perhaps someone else here may wish to talk about the woman who is in control of the country.

nameless

The Creator

Hindu 82% 1,017,620,000

Muslim 12% 148,920,000

Sikh 2%
Buddhist 0.7%
Jain 0.5%
Zoroastrian 0.01%
Jewish 0.0005%

sorry to say, but this stats is pure BS :D

I think there's a lot of hyperbole and melodrama being bandied about within the last day and a half or so
i would appreciate if anyone who have been to india could acknowledge this.

Last edited:

ratikala

Istha gosthi
you say this with a lot of conviction.
How convinced about this are you?

100%

As an Indian Hindu, I have to admit my knowledge of indian politics is quite pathetic - I've been totally engrossed with other things and never had any interest in it.
I don't think I'm really qualified to talk about the indian leadership and it's motives.
I am not just talking about the politicians I am talking about the entire society , a large percentage of whom are moraly bancrupt just as is the rest of the world .

it is not just politicians who are responcible for poverty and injustice but the entire comercial sector .

I am affraid it is something we all need to take responcibility for not something we can just leve to government .

perhaps someone else here may wish to talk about the woman who is in control of the country.
no lets not talk about what others can do , ...lets talk about what we can do :yes:

we all have our individual dharmas prehaps it is time we started to realise our own responcibilitys :namaste

Sumit

Sanatana Dharma
I am not just talking about the politicians I am talking about the entire society , a large percentage of whom are moraly bancrupt just as is the rest of the world .

it is not just politicians who are responcible for poverty and injustice but the entire comercial sector .

I am affraid it is something we all need to take responcibility for not something we can just leve to government .
I agree :yes: Hindus did mistakes and they are paying for that (theory of Karma)

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namaskaram sumit ji :namaste

I agree :yes: Hindus did mistakes and they are paying for that (theory of Karma)

this is the unfortunate failing of being human , we all make mistakes , on the other hand we have the blessing of the ability to learn from our mistakes :)

karma has many reactions , we can turn our fortunes again :D

satyaroop

first of all, this thread needs to me moved out of the hindu DIR

I think it's evident from the words of "real hindus" who have contributed to this thread that christ has no place in hindu territory
isn't the message getting across?

pseudo-hindus are those who want to try to re-write hinduism to incorporate christ into it.
it's as simple as that.

why re-write hinduism?

hindus don't need this "christian goodness" to be forced upon them. And it is forced.

go praise your lord somewhere else.
lets keep hinduism pure.

Ratikala, you are 100% sure that the indian leadership isn't intentionally keeping the hindu masses poor, I'm not taking your word for it.

Secret Chief

Degrow!
I respectfully concur that this thread would be better placed in a broader forum. The issue is wider than one particular faith.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
sorry to say, but this stats is pure BS :D

Give me something better.

i would appreciate if anyone who have been to india could acknowledge this.[/QUOTE]

Yes, a foreign tourist who has conducted a complete census would be most appreciated and much more accurate.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
like ratikala, you too seem to be talking, but without any conviction.

perhaps some here are unable to let go of christ

Hit a nerve, huh? Yes, maybe some are unable to let go of Christ (hint, hint).

Last edited:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I think it's evident from the words of "real hindus" who have contributed to this thread that christ has no place in hindu territory

Here we go again with the "real Hindus" nonsense. :rolleyes: You further reduced your credibility. And after just 5 posts! Amazing! (well, not really).