• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to convert a Hindu

Ignotus

रति
Now you have me curious. :) Here where I'm from (Alberta, Canada) the closest thing to a Dalit is indeed first nations peoples. They are at the bottom of the heap here. So I'm wondering if there is a personal connection to the Dalit's plight on some emotional level?

That is a good question Vinayaka. As you know and most likely seen a lot of us are still picking up the pieces from what is left over from that history I conveyed. Each with our own story but all so very similar. Those of us that are here are determined for a better future and for survival for future generations.

I do have an emotional connection to the Dalit's. I do know they are in their situation for different reasons, as far as I know. I do not have any hard feelings toward the other caste's because of the Dalit's plight. It is a little different than my own peoples story. I know it isn't much, though I will see where this takes me.

Though there is similarities in other ways that gives me a heavy heart. I have been thinking a lot lately about how I can give some support to at least one Dalit in India for a positive change. I have the Dalit's on my mind from time to time. No doubt.

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I have been thinking a lot lately about how I can give some support to at least one Dalit in India for a positive change.

That would be a very difficult task. My Guru did advise us, His devotees, that when in India, better to give a lump sum to one person that a little bit to everybody. I followed that advise. But it's so hard to tell if the man or woman won't just buy something unnecessary, or go get drunk. Going through a middle man is also hard, because you can't trust the middleman. I can think of no other way beside living in one place for maybe 3 months, and 'adopting' a local family whom you get to know personally. Certainly there are some reputable secular charities.

Those similarities also spread to the favelas of Rio, and many other places besides India.

Ignotus

रति
That would be a very difficult task. My Guru did advise us, His devotees, that when in India, better to give a lump sum to one person that a little bit to everybody. I followed that advise. But it's so hard to tell if the man or woman won't just buy something unnecessary, or go get drunk. Going through a middle man is also hard, because you can't trust the middleman. I can think of no other way beside living in one place for maybe 3 months, and 'adopting' a local family whom you get to know personally. Certainly there are some reputable secular charities.

This where I am right now, doing much research. I have to know it is going all in the right places and know they provide some kind of proof. I will not use a organization that has plans for evangelization. Communication would be a must. I have found a couple promising organizations. One is from a local organization, I know where they are and if there is a problem I have somewhere to express my grievance face to face. Trust is the hardest part of knowing what is the right direction to take.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Trust is the hardest part of knowing what is the right direction to take.

I got burned for $300 once, on a one time donation. No idea where the money went. I do have friends in India, but asking them to act on your behalf puts them in a spot. So much has to be done secretly or they have all kinds of people knocking on their doors. If I was there, I wouldn't volunteer to be the middle man for that purpose. Better to give to a charity that is helping an entire village.

Ignotus

रति
I got burned for $300 once, on a one time donation. No idea where the money went. I do have friends in India, but asking them to act on your behalf puts them in a spot. So much has to be done secretly or they have all kinds of people knocking on their doors. If I was there, I wouldn't volunteer to be the middle man for that purpose. Better to give to a charity that is helping an entire village.

That is the other thought, I have been trying to research the Dalit villages and find more about those villages and their current conditions. I know there is many but I do know the more educated I am on the subject the more educated I can be on my decisions.

Anyways, I have derailed your thread. I sent a PM.

Nyingjé Tso

Tänpa Yungdrung zhab pä tän gyur jig
Vanakkam,

It is really difficult without being directly there. The first thing that is obviously striking in India is when childrens and beggars come to you. But after one time you realise begging is a buisness, and the money you give don't go in the food pockets.
The ones that really need help are the silents ones. I have seen victims of leprosy sitting at a temple entrance, nobody had any sight or sympathy for them.

When we were at Tamil Nadu we were sitting on the beach, when a indian man selling tourist stuff came to make us buy his things. For every tourists those guys are a pest and ignored. We just told him we didn't wanted anything. Maybe he was tired, maybe it was because nobody else was on the beach, but he said nothing and sat with us, and we chatted in very approximative english.
To our great surprise, after an afternoon of chat, he invited us to eat at his house with his family. It wasn't a trap, no money, nothing. He just wanted to invite us and meet his family.

So we went and enjoyed the fish and potatoes his wife prepared for everyone. They were living in one room, with the kitchen outside. We all sat on the floor and eat delicious food. Then we chatted, learning more about their lives. We learned that they were victims of the tsunami that destroyed their fishing boat, but fortunately the whole village was sharing among everyone the last fishing boats available. His wife was fishing, and the husband was trying to sell things to tourists to have some money. The childrens were going to school, learning english, and the parents told us that they didn't wanted to make their childrens stop school, as it was the only way out of poverty and discrimination.
Those people were so kind, so clever, so brave, yet so natural. We laughted with them and had great fun, until we left late at night. We kept on seeing each other, going to temple together, eating together...We concluded they were propably very low cast since they weren't allowed in certain places, not even around the hotel. The woman warned us that if the hotel manager saw her around the hotel she would probably be beaten.

When it was time to part because we were leaving India, it was very sad. We hugged the woman, she was crying because she didn't wanted us to leave. My cousins played with their childrens all afternoon, we became really tied to this family. And their family treated us like we were friends since forever, giving no importance to our cultural differences.

Since we knew that they couldn't pay school anymore for their son, we gave her money. It was nothing for us, but for her it was worth a year of education for her son. She cried in the arms of my aunt, so thankful.

Every year when my aunt come back to Tamil Nadu she meet their family, their son is happy with his studies, and slowly and slowly they are living better and seeing a way out of poverty.

Same with a family of a rickshwala: we met us while he was driving us in town. He asked us if we wanted to see his newborn daughter, we became friends with his family. When he broke his rickshaw and couldn't work to feed his family, we helped him for buying a new one and now he can go on raising his daughter.

These kind of stories are priceless. The spirit of those people is incredible. They are often overlooked by others, silently waiting, living. But they are wonderful people.

The best is to go, to live this country, to meet indian and to better help one family by one. The undying bond that is made and seeing them improving their life with strenght and honesty (the fisherwoman family never used the money we gave her for anything else than her son studies) is the best reward you could hope. Find a friend in India, you have a friend forever.

When the tsunami struck Tamil Nadu, my temple organized charity because a devotee was leaving there to see his family. Every devotee donated so that the one leaving could carry the donations and use them correctly and directly there. I think it would be a good thing to consider if one live near or participate in a temple, at last, you know where the money is going if the person is trustworthy.

I don't know about hindu charities, anyone have feedbacks about these ?

Aum Namah Shivaya

Ignotus

रति
Vanakkam,

It is really difficult without being directly there. The first thing that is obviously striking in India is when childrens and beggars come to you. But after one time you realise begging is a buisness, and the money you give don't go in the food pockets.
The ones that really need help are the silents ones. I have seen victims of leprosy sitting at a temple entrance, nobody had any sight or sympathy for them.

When we were at Tamil Nadu we were sitting on the beach, when a indian man selling tourist stuff came to make us buy his things. For every tourists those guys are a pest and ignored. We just told him we didn't wanted anything. Maybe he was tired, maybe it was because nobody else was on the beach, but he said nothing and sat with us, and we chatted in very approximative english.
To our great surprise, after an afternoon of chat, he invited us to eat at his house with his family. It wasn't a trap, no money, nothing. He just wanted to invite us and meet his family.

So we went and enjoyed the fish and potatoes his wife prepared for everyone. They were living in one room, with the kitchen outside. We all sat on the floor and eat delicious food. Then we chatted, learning more about their lives. We learned that they were victims of the tsunami that destroyed their fishing boat, but fortunately the whole village was sharing among everyone the last fishing boats available. His wife was fishing, and the husband was trying to sell things to tourists to have some money. The childrens were going to school, learning english, and the parents told us that they didn't wanted to make their childrens stop school, as it was the only way out of poverty and discrimination.
Those people were so kind, so clever, so brave, yet so natural. We laughted with them and had great fun, until we left late at night. We kept on seeing each other, going to temple together, eating together...We concluded they were propably very low cast since they weren't allowed in certain places, not even around the hotel. The woman warned us that if the hotel manager saw her around the hotel she would probably be beaten.

When it was time to part because we were leaving India, it was very sad. We hugged the woman, she was crying because she didn't wanted us to leave. My cousins played with their childrens all afternoon, we became really tied to this family. And their family treated us like we were friends since forever, giving no importance to our cultural differences.

Since we knew that they couldn't pay school anymore for their son, we gave her money. It was nothing for us, but for her it was worth a year of education for her son. She cried in the arms of my aunt, so thankful.

Every year when my aunt come back to Tamil Nadu she meet their family, their son is happy with his studies, and slowly and slowly they are living better and seeing a way out of poverty.

Same with a family of a rickshwala: we met us while he was driving us in town. He asked us if we wanted to see his newborn daughter, we became friends with his family. When he broke his rickshaw and couldn't work to feed his family, we helped him for buying a new one and now he can go on raising his daughter.

These kind of stories are priceless. The spirit of those people is incredible. They are often overlooked by others, silently waiting, living. But they are wonderful people.

The best is to go, to live this country, to meet indian and to better help one family by one. The undying bond that is made and seeing them improving their life with strenght and honesty (the fisherwoman family never used the money we gave her for anything else than her son studies) is the best reward you could hope. Find a friend in India, you have a friend forever.

When the tsunami struck Tamil Nadu, my temple organized charity because a devotee was leaving there to see his family. Every devotee donated so that the one leaving could carry the donations and use them correctly and directly there. I think it would be a good thing to consider if one live near or participate in a temple, at last, you know where the money is going if the person is trustworthy.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Thank you for sharing that. That was a very nice story. It is rare for people to be that friendly these days it seems like. I hope that family finds a way out of poverty and prospers. I really do mean that. Excellent post!

Maya3

Vanakkam,

Aum Namah Shivaya

Aum Namah Shivaya

Thank you for sharing this Amazing story.
These stories truly are priceless. People miss out on real relationships with real people due to their pre conceived notions.
Your story is a great reminder of what we all need to do.

I know a man in NY who owns a restaurant with his wife. During Sandy he drove out to the Rockaways every day to hand out free food from their restaurant.

Maya

Kalidas

Vanakkam,

Aum Namah Shivaya

When I was younger my dad one time gave a homeless man some money. I asked: "why would you give him money? He's probably just going to buy alcohol!" my dad responded with "Me giving charity is between me and God, what people choose to do witht hat charity is between them and God." I never forgot that.

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
When I was younger my dad one time gave a homeless man some money. I asked: "why would you give him money? He's probably just going to buy alcohol!" my dad responded with "Me giving charity is between me and God, what people choose to do witht hat charity is between them and God." I never forgot that.

That's beautiful. May I quote you on that? I always get flack for giving charity to those in need.

bp789

namaskaram :namaste

I can see a crossover in that some principles of sanatana dharma are upheld by all faiths , but even these are only upheld according to the understanding of the practitioner .
however I dont see it in the beleif structure .

In terms of the Vaishnavism having some similarities to Abrahamic religions, I've had both experiences. The belief structure has some Abrahamic tendencies which the followers don't have. In other instances, the followers have some Abrahamic tendencies, but I'm not sure if that's in the belief structure or not.

One thing I've noticed is that there is slightly more emphasis on hell is placed than in Shaiva schools. The beliefs about hell are derived from the Puranas which say stuff about how those who steal gold go to one hell, while those who are alcoholics are made to drink molten iron. And there's other stuff about how those who don't properly follow the menstruation rules or eat meat will be reincarnated as dogs/ants or will suffer 1,000,000 years in hell or whatever. Adulterers will spend their lives hugging hot metal poles. I forgot the exact details. And whoever commits these sins must do Prayaschitta or atonement. Having said that, I don't know many Swaminarayan Hindus who take it seriously aside from the sadhus. I know these beliefs exist among some Gaudiya Vaishnavas, but this also exists to some extent among Sri Vaishnavas. The Swaminarayan philosophy is actually derived from Sri Vaishnavism. Having said that, there is a story about how Ramanuja was given a mantra and was told by his guru to not tell anyone else otherwise he would go to hell, but Ramanuja did so anyway, yet Ramanuja is considered the founder of the Vishistadvaita philosophy. So I might not be that correct about this. Plus, there's also a story saying how Vaishnavas are immune from going to hell, but I'm not sure if this is referring to devout practitioners or people who practice on occasion or what. Too many things that seem to contradict each other.

Speaking of sins, there's also stuff like how reciting some certain mantra this number of times or just saying it even once will burn all the sins you have committed. It's pretty much similar to how bathing in the Ganga river purify you of your sins.

Another thing is how since Hindus believe in reincarnation, making mistakes is fine since we have multiple lives. However, in Vaishnavism, there is an emphasis to get it right in this life. A human birth is considered as rare, and a human birth in a devout family is considered to be blessed, so it is emphasized to not waste this life and to spend it being devoted to God. Even though we believe in reincarnation, many Swaminarayan Hindus still have the supposedly Abrahamic mentality of getting it right in this life. Even if we get a good job, nice family, etc, our main goal is to attain moksha, so that we may quickly be reunited with God.

These things I'm not sure about, but apparently concepts like the grace of God, or God's will are also considered Abrahamic? Among many Indian moms, there's a tendency for them to say "What sins have I committed in my past life (or what karma am I still paying for) that I had to see this day???!!!", mostly when they're complaining about their kids not meeting expectations :p.

Anyway, I might be wrong, but I think for these reasons, I can't help but see Vaishnavism similar to Abrahamic religions to some extent. Although a lot of things I typed contradict each other, so I'm probably just rambling on and on about stuff :p.

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namaskaram prabhu ji :namaste

In terms of the Vaishnavism having some similarities to Abrahamic religions, I've had both experiences. The belief structure has some Abrahamic tendencies which the followers don't have. In other instances, the followers have some Abrahamic tendencies, but I'm not sure if that's in the belief structure or not.

I think that all we are seeing here is the simmilaritys that all religions posess in that they try to engender goodness , ..... allthough personaly I am not sure that threatening ourselves with hell or hellish rebirths is allways a positive thing to do ?

One thing I've noticed is that there is slightly more emphasis on hell is placed than in Shaiva schools. The beliefs about hell are derived from the Puranas which say stuff about how those who steal gold go to one hell, while those who are alcoholics are made to drink molten iron. And there's other stuff about how those who don't properly follow the menstruation rules or eat meat will be reincarnated as dogs/ants or will suffer 1,000,000 years in hell or whatever. Adulterers will spend their lives hugging hot metal poles. I forgot the exact details.
almost every religion has some simmilar idea of retrebution for wrongdoing it is a way of trying to warn its adherents of the negative outcome of wrong actions , these kind of stories also abound in buddhism , particularly tibetan buddhism , where it is constantly warned that our bad actions will result in rebirth in the hellish realms where allsorts of nasty things happen , but then on the other hand this idea of a hellish realm is also taken as a metaphor for taling rebirth with hellish concequences like being born in to the body of a tortured soul , .... what rebirth will a butcher take ? .. do we take this literaly and say yes ,... he will take as many rebirths as a cow as there are hairs on the body of the cow he has killed , (and himself suffer the slaughter he has inflicted) ?
or do we take it a little more metaphoricaly ?

either way when a hindu or buddhist talks about the reactions of karma and its effects on ones future rebirths it is very different from the abrahamic veiw of hell , christianity talks about eternal damnation , dharmic religions veiw rebirth as a chain of sucession from one life to another in which the devotee has the oppertunity to attone for his sins and to work towards an enlightened mind and the attainment of moksha . personaly I see this as one of the big differences betwen abrahamic religions and dharmic religions .

And whoever commits these sins must do Prayaschitta or atonement. Having said that, I don't know many Swaminarayan Hindus who take it seriously aside from the sadhus. I know these beliefs exist among some Gaudiya Vaishnavas, but this also exists to some extent among Sri Vaishnavas. The Swaminarayan philosophy is actually derived from Sri Vaishnavism. Having said that, there is a story about how Ramanuja was given a mantra and was told by his guru to not tell anyone else otherwise he would go to hell, but Ramanuja did so anyway, yet Ramanuja is considered the founder of the Vishistadvaita philosophy. So I might not be that correct about this. Plus, there's also a story saying how Vaishnavas are immune from going to hell, but I'm not sure if this is referring to devout practitioners or people who practice on occasion or what. Too many things that seem to contradict each other.

ramanuja ki jai , ...this is the perfect example of thinking very carefully before listening to these warnings , we must all think very carefully about our actions and there will be times when we need to break the rules , but we must be aware that there might be consequences . early on in my devotional life I was told that a woman must not even cast her shadow over tulasi devi when she is menustrating , but one day I had noticed that the young tulasi plants another devotee was rearing were willting from the heat and that no one had watered them the person responcible to take care of them had forgotten and gone home , my choice was to go bathe and ask krsnas forgivness and go to look after the plants . in this case one is not thinking of ones own karma , one thinks to do the right thing by another and to take the concequence upon one self . this is what ramanuja did thinking of the benifit to others he decided to accept the concequences upon himself , but one must have good reason to break an injunction and concidder it very carfully .

Speaking of sins, there's also stuff like how reciting some certain mantra this number of times or just saying it even once will burn all the sins you have committed. It's pretty much similar to how bathing in the Ganga river purify you of your sins.
I have allways had my concerns about this kind of promice , personaly I am wary of it , one must recite mantra from the heart not simply for a desired effect , I am not happy with the idea that one can just say a mantra and be absolved I am not sure that this is so wise as it might allow some to think that one might continue with negative actions and repeatedly clense onself of the implications simply by repeating a mantra , this I belive needs to be concidered more carefully . yet there is method behind this thinking , as it encorages one to enter in to more pious activities .

Another thing is how since Hindus believe in reincarnation, making mistakes is fine since we have multiple lives. However, in Vaishnavism, there is an emphasis to get it right in this life. A human birth is considered as rare, and a human birth in a devout family is considered to be blessed, so it is emphasized to not waste this life and to spend it being devoted to God. Even though we believe in reincarnation, many Swaminarayan Hindus still have the supposedly Abrahamic mentality of getting it right in this life. Even if we get a good job, nice family, etc, our main goal is to attain moksha, so that we may quickly be reunited with God.
Again my personal thoughts on this are that devout hindus and buddhists belive that having achived this fortunate human birth , and being born in to a fammily or position that one might practice dharma or live as a devotee , that this oppertunity should not be wasted , for a devotee to wish for moksha in this lifetime is not such a strange thing :) ... if you love god , you want to be with god , we do not want another human birth unless it is chosen in order to help others , this is very different from the abrahamic veiw an enlightened person can choose what he wants to do , he can return as a guru to be of benifit to others .

These things I'm not sure about, but apparently concepts like the grace of God, or God's will are also considered Abrahamic? Among many Indian moms, there's a tendency for them to say "What sins have I committed in my past life (or what karma am I still paying for) that I had to see this day???!!!", mostly when they're complaining about their kids not meeting expectations :p.
:) , the sin of being human , this is not so much a sin as a natural occurance , ...parents must do their duty and give every oppertynity to their children but not with expectation of the outcome , they must simply do their duty . to expect an outcome is setting onself up for dissapointment , instead of asking what karma is this ? they should be asking what am I doing now in this lifetime :yes:
Anyway, I might be wrong, but I think for these reasons, I can't help but see Vaishnavism similar to Abrahamic religions to some extent. Although a lot of things I typed contradict each other, so I'm probably just rambling on and on about stuff :p.
no , it is well worth exploring these beleifs so that we come to our own understanding of what we practice and why .