• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Would A Doctor Respond?

Jimmy

King Phenomenon
How do you think a psychologist or a psychiatrist would respond if I told them my beliefs about the chosen one living on earth?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Have you spoken to a therapist about this?

No not really

They'd say something along the lines of "interesting, tell me more", then look at his clock.

Tomef

How do you think a psychologist or a psychiatrist would respond if I told them my beliefs about the chosen one living on earth?
They would only consider you mentally ill if your stated beliefs include hallucinations of that individual, appearing say in the examination room, or other things of that sort. Religious beliefs in invisible super beings are not covered by the DSM. Someone saying ‘god speaks to me’ does not qualify as an auditory (pathological) hallucination as such, whereas ‘god is repeatedly telling me to harm myself or others’, along with an intent to act on those thoughts, might,

Jimmy

King Phenomenon
On another note, how would a therapist respond to someone that told them they were this man?

Jimmy

King Phenomenon
I suspect there may be a little more concern.

How much concern would probably vary on the impact this belief had on the person's life.
Well, nobody’s perfect so how would a therapist decipher the problems were actually coming from this belief?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
What is it to "section" someone?

Under UK law, section 2 and section 3 of the mental health act can be used to forcibly intern a person in a mental asylum for evaluation.
Section 2 is for 1 weekb and can be upgraded to section 3
Section 3 is for a month but at a doctor's descresion may be extended up to 6 months.

Generally only used if the subject is a danger to himself or others

Other countries,... I don't know

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Well, nobody’s perfect so how would a therapist decipher the problems were actually coming from this belief?
If a person thought they were Divine and requested others worship them, attempted to start cults, or thought they had special powers that could potentially put them in harm's way, they might deem it harmful.

If they thought they were Divine, and this inspired them to hold themselves to better standards, or were more inspired to help people from it, I suspect they'd smile and move on.

Jimmy

King Phenomenon
Under UK law, section 2 and section 3 of the mental health act can be used to forcibly intern a person in a mental asylum for evaluation.
Section 2 is for 1 weekb and can be upgraded to section 3
Section 3 is for a month but at a doctor's descresion may be extended up to 6 months.

Generally only used if the subject is a danger to himself or others

Other countries,... I don't know
Think it’s similar here

Jimmy

King Phenomenon
If a person thought they were Divine and requested others worship them, attempted to start cults, or thought they had special powers that could potentially put them in harm's way, they might deem it harmful.

If they thought they were Divine, and this inspired them to hold themselves to better standards, or were more inspired to help people from it, I suspect they'd smile and move on.
Would if others started to worship him without his request? Might be a problem then huh?