• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Humans did NOT evolve from the common ancestor of Apes

Renji

Dear Renji, NO other Religion speaks of the Multiverse, the date of the Big Bang, Gen 2:4

Being in a seminary school for about a year, I do not know what you are talking about. Where's the date that you are talking about on that verse? Even if I go to the original Hebrew text, I cannot see it.
nor the FACT that the BB was on the 3rd Day and the First Stars of our Cosmos did NOT light until the 4th Day. Gen 1:6
Genesis 1:6- And God said, "Let there be a vault between the waters to separate water from water." I'm so sorry, there's nothing on the verse that you've given that talks about a particular cosmos event such as big bang. Even if we go through the Torah or the other parts of the bible, there's nothing, absolutely nothing in there which proves the big bang and stuff like that. In fact, it has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Sonofason

[QUOTE="Sonofason, post: 4014928, member: 50910]No, I'm never wrong about what the Bible says. If you think I am, I suggest you provide some evidence to show otherwise.
All you need to do to know what the Bible says is how to copy and paste.[/QUOTE]
Actually, that is not true at all. Even parrots are capable of mimicry. An ability to copy and paste verses from the Bible is in no way an indication of knowledge of what the Bible says.

Any definition of the word knowledge will show you that for there to be knowledge, there must also be understanding.

Sonofason

Being in a seminary school for about a year, I do not know what you are talking about. Where's the date that you are talking about on that verse? Even if I go to the original Hebrew text, I cannot see it.

Genesis 1:6- And God said, "Let there be a vault between the waters to separate water from water." I'm so sorry, there's nothing on the verse that you've given that talks about a particular cosmos event such as big bang. Even if we go through the Torah or the other parts of the bible, there's nothing, absolutely nothing in there which proves the big bang and stuff like that. In fact, it has absolutely nothing to do with it.

God said, "Let there be Light". That was indeed a big event. As big, and perhaps equally big as the "big bang".

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006

He can't separate personal meaning from exegetical interpretation. I've been out of seminary a couple of years now, and Angellous has his doctorate in biblical studies. We haven't been able to talk this guy through the process, either. To him, education and knowledge merit nothing. It only "proves" that we've been "brainwashed by the System." Only his own imagination and denial merit consideration.

A

angellous_evangellous

Dear Angellous, False, since unbelievers cannot understand Scripture. This is proven every day on these boards. God Bless you.

So there's a difference between what the Bible says and what the Bible means.

Otherwise, anyone could just copy and paste Scripture and claim understand what the Scripture says -- like you and your friends -- and not understand what the Scripture means.

Pretending to understand, claiming to understand, and actually understanding meaning are quite different.

You can blaspheme the Lord's name by arrogantly proclaiming that your interpretation is correct because you believe in God / Christ / yourself... that's your problem. Just because you believe thus and such about God or the Bible - that doesn't give you the authority to proclaim your misunderstandings to be truths.

It's rather weak to respond to someone's criticism of your wild claims that (1) they aren't a Christian, therefore they can't understand (2) you don't approve of their Christianity, therefore they can't understand (3) they have a PhD, know Christian history, Christian and secular philosophy, ancient languages, and ancient and modern techniques for interpretation and therefore they can't understand the text [WTF?!].

So swell up in your pride that you have a special understanding of the Scripture because you think that you believe everything correctly already. Beat your chest and make looney tunes theology. At least you're good comic books.

A

angellous_evangellous

Fair enough. Understanding the Bible requires serious study as well.

Define "serious study."

I wonder - have you done it? And if not, how on earth can you make your outrageous claims? From what we've seen (yes, I think I can speak for just about everyone), your study at best is a casual internet search to your favorite fundamentalist websites and perhaps consulting Strong's - which does nothing for you. At worst, you're just reading a translation and making stuff up, concluding that your commonsense understanding of the translation [perhaps informed by a lifetime of evangelical fundamentalist brainwashing] is somehow correct.

Get -- over -- yourself.

Sonofason

Define "serious study."

I wonder - have you done it? And if not, how on earth can you make your outrageous claims? From what we've seen (yes, I think I can speak for just about everyone), your study at best is a casual internet search to your favorite fundamentalist websites and perhaps consulting Strong's - which does nothing for you. At worst, you're just reading a translation and making stuff up, concluding that your commonsense understanding of the translation [perhaps informed by a lifetime of evangelical fundamentalist brainwashing] is somehow correct.

Get -- over -- yourself.
I believe that when a person engages in a detailed investigation and analysis of a particular subject, by reading, memorizing facts, attending school and other forms of information gathering techniques, and by applying one's mind so as to acquire knowledge and understanding of that particular subject by those techniques, he has indeed engaged in serious study.

So yes, I believe I have done that. And I can assure you that my biblical studies have been far more extant than casual internet searches to fundamentalist websites, as you'd like to think. I have read a great deal of classic Christian literature from such authors as Origen, Athanasius, St. Augustine, Clement, Adam Clarke, St. Jerome, St. John of the Cross, Spurgeon, C.S. Lewis, A.W. Pink and many others. I have read the entire Bible several times. I have read vast portions of the Bible hundreds of times. I have studied the Bible seriously. And I have devoted a great deal of my time and my life to studying the Bible. I have read numerous articles on the internet as well, covering a vast number of subjects both pro and con. I consider all sides of an argument before I draw my conclusions. I do not rely on any one translation of any biblical text. I read and consider them all, including the original Hebrew and Greek. Academically, I have taken a college course on Eastern religions, and I have taken a college course entitled Christology. In college I have also taken a course in logic, and a course entitled moral theory.

So from my perspective, yes, I've done it, and I continue to do so. I am not finished with my serious study of the Bible, and I will continue to learn about the God that I am certain exists.

sojourner

I believe that when a person engages in a detailed investigation and analysis of a particular subject, by reading, memorizing facts, attending school and other forms of information gathering techniques, and by applying one's mind so as to acquire knowledge and understanding of that particular subject by those techniques, he has indeed engaged in serious study.

So yes, I believe I have done that. And I can assure you that my biblical studies have been far more extant than casual internet searches to fundamentalist websites, as you'd like to think. I have read a great deal of classic Christian literature from such authors as Origen, Athanasius, St. Augustine, Clement, Adam Clarke, St. Jerome, St. John of the Cross, Spurgeon, C.S. Lewis, A.W. Pink and many others. I have read the entire Bible several times. I have read vast portions of the Bible hundreds of times. I have studied the Bible seriously. And I have devoted a great deal of my time and my life to studying the Bible. I have read numerous articles on the internet as well, covering a vast number of subjects both pro and con. I consider all sides of an argument before I draw my conclusions. I do not rely on any one translation of any biblical text. I read and consider them all, including the original Hebrew and Greek. Academically, I have taken a college course on Eastern religions, and I have taken a college course entitled Christology. In college I have also taken a course in logic, and a course entitled moral theory.

So from my perspective, yes, I've done it, and I continue to do so. I am not finished with my serious study of the Bible, and I will continue to learn about the God that I am certain exists.
That's all fine and good, but have you ever done serious biblical exegesis, or taken any graduate-level courses in biblical criticism, because that's really what's needed here.

Renji

God said, "Let there be Light". That was indeed a big event. As big, and perhaps equally big as the "big bang".

Then what about such similar events being talked about in other creationism myths? Don't tell me they're also talking about the big bang huh? Such text doesn't prove anything. It doesn't mean that if the verse tells 'let there be light', then you can equate that to the big bang. Big bang theory doesn't speak about 'light' or the sun (which can be linked to that verse) alone, then each thing just came to being from something out of nothing.

Can you explain to me the Big Bang theory or at least what you think happened on that phenomena?

Last edited:

Sonofason

That's all fine and good, but have you ever done serious biblical exegesis, or taken any graduate-level courses in biblical criticism, because that's really what's needed here.
Nope. I haven't done that, and I disagree with you that it is needed here. That is your opinion, and it is really nothing more than that.

Sonofason

Then what about such similar events being talked about in other creationism myths? Don't tell me they're also talking about the big bang huh? Such text doesn't prove anything. It doesn't mean that if the verse tells 'let there be light', then you can equate that to the big bang. Big bang theory doesn't speak about 'light' or the sun (which can be linked to that verse).

Can you explain to me the Big Bang theory or at least what you think happened on that phenomena?
Any scientist that has studied the big bang will tell you that it was indeed an episode of light entering into existence. In the genesis of the Big Bang, it was light that was emitted first, and it became matter.

sojourner

Nope. I haven't done that, and I disagree with you that it is needed here. That is your opinion, and it is really nothing more than that.
Well, it's not simply "my opinion." That opinion is shared by everyone who knows anything about how to study the bible. These are the sorts of activities translators perform in order to put the ancient texts into a readable condition for the vast majority of people. This sort of study yields real, observable results, that are corroborated by third-party observation. Otherwise, you end up with the sort of nonsense that has been going on in this thread, where you have wild interpretations that directly refute scientific fact.

Sonofason

Well, it's not simply "my opinion." That opinion is shared by everyone who knows anything about how to study the bible. These are the sorts of activities translators perform in order to put the ancient texts into a readable condition for the vast majority of people. This sort of study yields real, observable results, that are corroborated by third-party observation. Otherwise, you end up with the sort of nonsense that has been going on in this thread, where you have wild interpretations that directly refute scientific fact.
Yes, that very same nonsense that you have time and time again been incapable of refuting.