• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Humans did NOT evolve from the common ancestor of Apes

Renji

Any scientist that has studied the big bang will tell you that it was indeed an episode of light entering into existence. Light was the first biproduct of the big bang.
Sure thing (heck, forgot to include the word 'alone'). You said it right, it's a bi product. But on contrary, creationism account did not speak about the expansion of the universe and that it was actually from different particles (including light). Creationism or the verse from Genesis taught that everything came from nothing. I don't even know why a person could mistakenly link such thing to a scientific fact while it states otherwise.

Last edited:

Sonofason

That's all fine and good, but have you ever done serious biblical exegesis, or taken any graduate-level courses in biblical criticism, because that's really what's needed here.
By the way, I am curious, which graduate-level course did you take in biblical criticism, and at which university did you take it?

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Yes, that very same nonsense that you have time and time again been incapable of refuting.
I have no idea what you're talking about. You've been the one making wild claims about what the bible does and doesn't say, and making up what is literal and what is figurative, without being able to establish those claims in any sort of exegetical or critical analysis.

Renji

I have no idea what you're talking about. You've been the one making wild claims about what the bible does and doesn't say, and making up what is literal and what is figurative, without being able to establish those claims in any sort of exegetical or critical analysis.
Exactly the reason why christianity is so split up. Fanatics lack even the fundamental 'truths' of their own scripture and instead base their beliefs on their personal interpretation of it (not poking on any religion here though).

sojourner

By the way, I am curious, which graduate-level course did you take in biblical criticism, and at which university did you take it?
Not simply "one graduate-level course." Try a full graduate degree program at an accredited institution.

sojourner

Exactly the reason why christianity is so split up. Fanatics lack even the fundamental 'truths' of their own scripture and instead base their beliefs on their personal interpretation of it (not poking on any religion here though).
I disagree. Many, if not most of the denominational splits are based on pretty solid theological claims and differences of viewpoint. Study rarely leads to uniformity. Since the texts are, by nature, multivalent, any number of tenable interpretations can be formulated and put into practice. Xy isn't based on uniformity. The imperial and Catholic church tried to make it so, but it's not so. Xy is based on unity through diversity. The original disciples didn't even agree completely.

Sonofason

There are many reasons.
1. some people only see what they want to see.
2. there are disagreements over interpretations of the Bible.
3. some people use religion as a means for personal gain.
4. oftentimes disagreements are taken personally, and new denominations are created for the purpose of disassociation.
5. Christians are people, and like all people, Christians still struggle with pride, selfishness, and stubbornness, and this means they sometimes respond to relational conflict poorly.
I suppose there are likely other reasons for there being so many denominations of Christianity, but I see them all as being relatively the same. A Christian is a follower of Christ. And that is really the crux of the matter. Everything else is secondary nonsense.

A

angellous_evangellous

That's all fine and good, but have you ever done serious biblical exegesis, or taken any graduate-level courses in biblical criticism, because that's really what's needed here.

I respectfully disagree. While someone with training has a great advantage, there are many folks with a genuine interest who find their way nicely -- at least enough to come to a respectable understanding of Scripture, the ancient world, and whatever else interests them.

We can't shut off understanding to only the academically educated. Now I know that understanding the ancient world has many unique academic challenges, but with so much of that available online, if someone reads a bit... well, you see where I'm going.

I'm delighted to see that our friend has some rudimentary reading in the basics -- unfortunately reading with the same low level of understanding as he reads the Scripture -- it's still better than nothing. I remember when I read the Church Fathers for the first time and how it inspired me... and not knowing Greek or anything else, that first reading still informs me.

It would be wonderful if our friend shed his biases and at least had respect for critical methods and the theology it produces [or rather, the theologies that interact with it] - all of that reading will serve him well.

As it is now, it's all merely a justification for being wrong.

A

angellous_evangellous

For me -
36 undergraduate hours
36 graduate hours
36 hours of languages
48 doctoral hours
doctoral exams [with honors]
language exams
doctoral dissertation published as book by an academic press
[published a chapter in an academic journal while I was writing the book]

six years experience teaching - four as TA, two as professor
- teaching graduates at a seminary
- teaching undergrads at a college
- you'll love this - I'm developing courses for a new seminary

Sonofason

For me -
36 undergraduate hours
36 graduate hours
36 hours of languages
48 doctoral hours
doctoral exams [with honors]
language exams
doctoral dissertation published as book by an academic press
[published a chapter in an academic journal while I was writing the book]

six years experience teaching - four as TA, two as professor
- teaching graduates at a seminary
- teaching undergrads at a college
- you'll love this - I'm developing courses for a new seminary
This is all very wonderful news.

Sonofason

Sure thing (heck, forgot to include the word 'alone'). You said it right, it's a bi product. But on contrary, creationism account did not speak about the expansion of the universe and that it was actually from different particles (including light). Creationism or the verse from Genesis taught that everything came from nothing. I don't even know why a person could mistakenly link such thing to a scientific fact while it states otherwise.
No, no, the first thing that came out of the Big Bang was indeed light. For me to have said bi-product was a mis-statement.

Sonofason

Interesting, and with your vast education on the bible, neither have you.

Last edited: