• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Humans did NOT evolve from the common ancestor of Apes

Sonofason

Of course.

Yes of course, individuals give birth to offspring of the same species. Evolution does not suggest otherwise - did you think it did?

How so?

That question is quite vague. Perhaps you should be more specific.
Lets see if I've got the question right: I'll ask your question to me again.

How is it so that "the Classification system is a human fabrication"?

The answer:
The Biological classification system "is a method of scientific taxonomy used to group and categorize organisms hierarchically."

The "modern biological classification has its root in the work of Carolus Linnaeus, who grouped species according to shared physical characteristics.

Carolus Linnaeus was a human being.

" the idea of the Linnaean taxonomy as translating into a sort of dendrogram of the Animal- and Plant Kingdoms was formulated toward the end of the 18th century"

"With Darwin's theory, a general acceptance that classification should reflect the Darwinian principle of common descent quickly appeared."

"One of the first modern groups tied to fossil ancestors were birds. Using the then newly discovered fossils of Archaeopteryx and Hesperornis, Thomas Henry Huxley pronounced that they had evolved from dinosaurs"

You see, the modern classification system is a "human fabrication" just like I said. It does not occur in nature. It originated in the minds of human beings. It doesn't exist apart from human beings.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biological_classification

Sonofason

That's right. So we call it a Redwood, or an Elm what was your point?

Calling something a Redwood, or an Elm says absolutely nothing as to what that thing is. These are simply words. Unless you have a clear understanding as to what these words represent, they are meaningless expressions.

Sonofason

By this logic, bananas are not fruit and chimps are not apes.

Bananas are the fruit of a banana tree.

A chimpanzee is an offspring of its parents. Chimpanzees are creatures that reach a height of "3–5.5 ft (1–1.7 m) tall when standing upright, weigh 70–130 lbs (32–60 kg), and have a brown or black coat and a bare face. They do most of their feeding in the trees, swinging from branch to branch; to move any distance they walk, usually on all fours, on the ground. They eat mostly fruits, berries, leaves, and seeds, some termites and ants, and occasionally a young baboon or bush pig. They are capable of problem solving, tool use, and deceit. Chimpanzees are highly social and live in flexible groups (15–100 or more members) known as communities. In the wild they live about 45 years, in captivity more than 50."
Chimpanzee - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Sonofason

There is no evidence that Adam existed.

The physical characteristics of homo sapiens sapiens, that is, our subspecies of homo sapiens (the other one, homo sapiens idaltu, being now extinct), has changed a LOT over the years. Until about 6,000 years ago, ALL members of our species had dark skin. How did people in the Northern parts of Eurasia get light skin in the time since? Light skin is better for absorbing vitamin D from the sun in the lowlight conditions of the Northern Hemisphere.

Children are the same species as their parents, but they are not their parents. Every single individual is genetically distinct from all the others; even "identical" twins are genetically distinct, even if only slightly.

The line that separates species from each other is not hard and fast; it's actually quite grey. Neanderthal was technically a different species from us, and yet we could breed with them.

Please tell me what it will take for our species to evolve into another species. And what person of our species could possibly determine that a new human species has come into existence?

Sonofason

It's one thing to blindly believe (hence religion)...but it's another to be told then be able to go and test that what you're being told. The scientific method requires and accepts this...and welcomes falsification...

Please describe the benefit of calling yourself an ape.

If we call something a banana, which can be defined as the edible fruit of a banana tree. We can know when we find a banana that it is good to eat. Knowing what a banana is benefits us in some way.

Please describe how defining yourself as an ape benefits anyone.

In my opinion such meaningless drivel is a wast of intellect.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
Dear Ouroboros, I was trying to be nice to the person who posted the post just before me. I could have called him/her names and claimed they were nuts, like some Evols do, but I took the high road and now I see what it gets me. No good deed goes unpunished. Right? Right. God Bless you.

In Love,
Aman

It‘s all good. We were just tryint to inform you what OP means. Now that you know we can moveon with this vigorous debate.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Please describe the benefit of calling yourself an ape.

If we call something a banana, which can be defined as the edible fruit of a banana tree. We can know when we find a banana that it is good to eat. Knowing what a banana is benefits us in some way.

Please describe how defining yourself as an ape benefits anyone.

In my opinion such meaningless drivel is a wast of intellect.

Perhaps you think it is a meaningless waste of intellect because you are way too ignorant of how closely we resemble our fellow apes both in biology and behaviors.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
God created everything. So how does our being created by God make us special?

You've first started off with the presupposition that a god exist. I don't believe as you do becase such a claim rest on faith and not fact. And to your question....no we're not special. That was the whole point of my response.

Sonofason

Perhaps you think it is a meaningless waste of intellect because you are way too ignorant of how closely we resemble our fellow apes both in biology and behaviors.

Do tell me then how closely we resemble your fellow apes in biology and behavior.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
That question is quite vague. Perhaps you should be more specific.
Lets see if I've got the question right: I'll ask your question to me again.

How is it so that "the Classification system is a human fabrication"?

The answer:
The Biological classification system "is a method of scientific taxonomy used to group and categorize organisms hierarchically."

The "modern biological classification has its root in the work of Carolus Linnaeus, who grouped species according to shared physical characteristics.

Carolus Linnaeus was a human being.

" the idea of the Linnaean taxonomy as translating into a sort of dendrogram of the Animal- and Plant Kingdoms was formulated toward the end of the 18th century"

"With Darwin's theory, a general acceptance that classification should reflect the Darwinian principle of common descent quickly appeared."

"One of the first modern groups tied to fossil ancestors were birds. Using the then newly discovered fossils of Archaeopteryx and Hesperornis, Thomas Henry Huxley pronounced that they had evolved from dinosaurs"

You see, the modern classification system is a "human fabrication" just like I said. It does not occur in nature. It originated in the minds of human beings. It doesn't exist apart from human beings.

Biological classification - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

First, it's spot on.

Second, we've leatned even more since then.

Third, genetic have confirmed what we've thought all along.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Do tell me then how closely we resemble your fellow apes in biology and behavior.

That's like asking someone to explain the ocean ecosystems in a forum post. Dude, the first thing you need to know is that our similarities are so great they'd take a textbook to describe. IF you don't know even that much, you don't know jack.

Sonofason

You've first started off with the presupposition that a god exist. I don't believe as you do becase such a claim rest on faith and not fact. And to your question....no we're not special. That was the whole point of my response.

You had suggested that it is a fact that we are primates because we share DNA with what you called "other primates"

I replied, "Well, we share DNA with bananas too. Are we bananas?"

And then YOU brought up God, when you said,
What it shows is that life and non-life on the planet is related. Thinking and believing we are some how special because a god "created" us misses that point...

You see, you have introduced God into the equation, and you have done so on false precepts, and with a false premise. If your going to introduce God into the conversation, then you should get your facts straight about God, as well the beliefs of those who believe that God exists. You have implied that those who believe in God think they are special. You imply that those who believe in God don't realize that God created everything. If God created everything, why is it that believers would think they are so special, as you seem to be claiming. I believe in God, and I don't believe I am special at all.

In fact, knowing that every creature on this planet is indeed a special creation of God causes me to have a great deal of respect for all creatures alike. For example, I respect you no more than a baboon. And I have no greater respect for you than I do for a rat.

Does that sound like I think humans are special creations? On the contrary.

Sonofason

That's like asking someone to explain the ocean ecosystems in a forum post. Dude, the first thing you need to know is that our similarities are so great they'd take a textbook to describe. IF you don't know even that much, you don't know jack.

How many pages could you fill describing our dissimilarities? If you don't know that, you don't know jack.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
For me personally. to believe that humans just popped into existence, like "POOFF", is ridiculers and I am too embarrassed to even argue about it.

Sonofason

For me personally. to believe that humans just popped into existence, like "POOFF", is ridiculers and I am too embarrassed to even argue about it.

I didn't realize that the verb (to create) was synonymous with the word "pooff". Can you explain how life might have started if dust particles never existed?

Lol, sorry, can you explain how life started at all?

psychoslice

Veteran Member
I didn't realize that the verb (to create) was synonymous with the word "pooff". Can you explain how life might have started if dust particles never existed?

Lol, sorry, can you explain how life started at all?

Well like you I can't, but the best we have is the evolution theory, hell it beats the creation story, and makes much more sense. The creation story sounds just like that to me, a story, great for children but not so great for the intelligent one, who really wants to know the truth.