• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Humans did NOT evolve from the common ancestor of Apes

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
Actually,

"The discovery of antibiotics began by accident. On the morning of September 3rd, 1928, Professor Alexander Fleming was having a clear up of his cluttered laboratory. Fleming was sorting through a number of glass plates which had previously been coated with staphyloccus bacteria as part of research Fleming was doing. One of the plates had mould on it. The mould was in the shape of a ring and the area around the ring seemed to be free of the bacteria staphyloccus. The mould was penicillium notatum. Fleming had a life long interest in ways of killing off bacteria and he concluded that the bacteria on the plate around the ring had been killed off by some substance that had come from the mould."

"Further research on the mould found that it could kill other bacteria and that it could be given to small animals without any side-effects. However, within a year, Fleming had moved onto other medical issues and it was ten years later that Howard Florey and Ernst Chain, working at Oxford University, isolated the bacteria-killing substance found in the mould - penicillin."

"In 1941, a doctor, Charles Fletcher, at a hospital in Oxford had heard of their work. He had a patient who was near to death as a result of bacteria getting into a wound. Fletcher used some of Chain’s and Florey’s penicillin on the patient and the wound made a spectacular recovery. Unfortunately, Fletcher did not have enough penicillin to fully rid the patient’s body of bacteria and he died a few weeks later as the bacteria took a hold."
Antibiotics

It was developed to prevent death. It just so happens antibiotics can heal bacterial infections as well.

And your point.....?

How does this support the assertion atheist are scared of death....?

Sonofason

It has nothing to do with indoctrination......:rolleyes:

It was simply a link to a biology book which covers the basics. People should have a firm understanding of biology......

I agree, and that is why I took honors biology in high school. In college, however, I did not study biology. I focused on Chemistry and Physics instead.

Sonofason

It has nothing to do with indoctrination......:rolleyes:

It was simply a link to a biology book which covers the basics. People should have a firm understanding of biology......

For the record:
Doctrine is a set of ideas or beliefs that are taught or believed to be true.

Science books are full of doctrine.

Those who are forced to read books that are full of doctrine become indoctrinated.

Sonofason

And your point.....?

How does this support the assertion atheist are scared of death....?

Oh that!!

That was an unsubstantiated claim which I have since discovered to be false. The discoverer of Penicillin was a Roman Catholic, or so it seems. I should have researched the subject before sticking my neck out, aye?

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
I agree, and that is why I took honors biology in high school. In college, however, I did not study biology. I focused on Chemistry and Physics instead.

In all that time did you never study biological evolution...adaptation, mutation etc...much of that is covered in honors biology as well as chemistry.....:confused:

Sonofason

In all that time did you never study biological evolution...adaptation, mutation etc...much of that is covered in honors biology as well as chemistry.....:confused:

Well, I did take a course called "Evolution" It was not called biological evolution. But it did cover biological evolution, adaptation, mutation, natural selection, diversity, genetics, etc...

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
For the record:
Doctrine is a set of ideas or beliefs that are taught or believed to be true.

Science books are full of doctrine.

Those who are forced to read books that are full of doctrine become indoctrinated.

The difference here is that in biology as well as many other areas of science those who study these disciplines are welcomed and encouraged to apply the scientific method. So science, especially biology, does not simply provide doctrine. People are capable and encourage to test that information and if new discovery is presented that shows current finding to be incorrect or to be adjusted because of new data..science welcomes it. Faith based claims don't require such scrutiny.

Sonofason

And of course, my high school biology and chemistry covered evolution as well. So what?

Those classes taught evolution, they didn't prove evolution.

Triumphant_Loser

Libertarian Egalitarian
Oh that!!

That was an unsubstantiated claim which I have since discovered to be false. The discoverer of Penicillin was a Roman Catholic, or so it seems. I should have researched the subject before sticking my neck out, aye?

Not to mention Edward Jenner, the man who invented the vaccination that cured the human race of smallpox, was an Anglican, and in fact, was the son of an Anglican vicar.

Who is it that was "scared of dying" again?

Sonofason

The difference here is that in biology as well as many other areas of science those who study these disciplines are welcomed and encouraged to apply the scientific method. So science, especially biology, does not simply provide doctrine. People are capable and encourage to test that information and if new discovery is presented that shows current finding to be incorrect or to be adjusted because of new data..science welcomes it. Faith based claims don't require such scrutiny.

And I welcome you to apply the scientific method in order to know and experience God. Follow the procedure outlined in the Biblical text, and you will experience God. It is certainly a peer reviewed study. It is certainly independently verifiable, and that is because God exists.

Sonofason

Besides, I seriously doubt that you have ever verified for yourself any of the results that a Biologist or Evolution Scientist has presented as evidence verifying the evolutionary claim.

What you have is more likely, in my opinion, an extensive indoctrination.

Sonofason

Not to mention Edward Jenner, the man who invented the vaccination that cured the human race of smallpox, was an Anglican, and in fact, was the son of an Anglican vicar.

Who is it that was "scared of dying" again?

I've admitted I was wrong once. And that's all you're going to get. It is my opinion that atheists are scared of dying. But of course, I don't know all atheists, so I could be wrong. Don't get me wrong, it's not like I think there is anything wrong with being afraid, but it is my opinion, we don't have to be scared of death. I'm not.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
Well, I did take a course called "Evolution" It was not called biological evolution. But it did cover biological evolution, adaptation, mutation, natural selection, diversity, genetics, etc...

And of course, my high school biology and chemistry covered evolution as well. So what?.

Those classes taught evolution, they didn't prove evolution.

But we've established evolution does occur. We're both in agreement that one area of evolution occurrence happens with viruses and other bacteria (microscopic living organism). But we depart at human evolution. But if you agree with the former then why not the latter considering human evolution over time happens at the microscopic level?

Last edited:

Triumphant_Loser

Libertarian Egalitarian
And I welcome you to apply the scientific method in order to know and experience God. Follow the procedure outlined in the Biblical text, and you will experience God. It is certainly a peer reviewed study. It is certainly independently verifiable, and that is because God exists.

I knew I should have done my science fair project on talking snakes. Or flaming plants. Or how humans can survive 3 days in a whale's digestive tract without being digested. Or how beating rocks with sticks causes water to gush out.

Sonofason

But we've established evolution does occur. We're both in agreement that one area of evolution occurrence happens with viruses and other bacteria (microscopic living organism). But we depart at human evolution. But if you agree with the former then not the latter considering human evolution over time happens at the microscopic level?

Again, I have never denied that creatures seem to be capable of adapting to their environments. I see that bacteria can become resistant to certain antibiotics. I know that once they do, they are still bacteria. You can tell me that they are another species of bacteria, but I can't tell you if this adaptation to one's environment is actually connected to the broader scope of evolutionary processes as claimed by many biologists and evolutionists, or not. No one has proven that to me. However, for your peace of mind, you can assume I've been taught everything that you have been taught about evolution, and yet I know that God exists. Evolution has absolutely nothing at all to do with the existence of God. However, it is my opinion, that if evolution is true, then God has everything to do with evolution. I will still learn the science, because there is no science that can eliminate the existence of God.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
Again, I have never denied that creatures seem to be capable of adapting to their environments. I see that bacteria can become resistant to certain antibiotics. I know that once they do, they are still bacteria. You can tell me that they are another species of bacteria, but I can't tell you if this adaptation to one's environment is actually connected to the broader scope of evolutionary processes as claimed by many biologists and evolutionists, or not.

But we know that microscopic evolution happens and we in fact have the evidence for that. This is why projects such as the genome project is really important and why so much new data has been discovered that enhance our understanding of biological evolution. In fact this is how many biologist and chemist understand the human body and how to treat disease and illness.

However, for your peace of mind, you can assume I've been taught everything that you have been taught about evolution

Being taught a thing and understanding it are two separate things.

and yet I know that God exists.

And you would have to present testable evidence for your claim. I would say that your claim is faith based....based on subjective reasoning. As I said before...faith based claims don't require evidence to the believer as along as the believer doesn't present his or her belief to others as untestable evidence.

Evolution has absolutely nothing at all to do with the existence of God.

OK...I'll have to take your word fir it.

However, it is my opinion, that if evolution is true, then God has everything to do with evolution.

How could you present evidence of such a bold claim....or is it another faith based claim absolving you of ever producing evidence?

I will still learn the science, because there is no science that can eliminate the existence of God.

But science is about knowledge. It has no intentions.....

Sonofason

But we know that microscopic evolution happens and we in fact have the evidence for that. This is why projects such as the genome project is really important and why so much new data has been discovered that enhance our understanding of biological evolution. In fact this is how many biologist and chemist understand the human body and how to treat disease and illness.

Being taught a thing and understanding it are two separate things.

And you would have to present testable evidence for your claim. I would say that your claim is faith based....based on subjective reasoning. As I said before...faith based claims don't require evidence to the believer as along as the believer doesn't present his or her belief to others as untestable evidence.

OK...I'll have to take your word fir it.

How could you present evidence of such a bold claim....or is it another faith based claim absolving you of ever producing evidence?

But science is about knowledge. It has no intentions.....

Yes, science is knowledge, it is a tool that can easily be used with intention.

In fact, I'll bet that where ever knowledge is employed, it is done so with motive and intention, at all times and in all places.