• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hunting? Immoral?

dust1n

Zindīq
Right... so you can't say whether the population of humans is "too high".

Perhaps it can't be said that the population is too high, due to the fact it is growing. If it was too high, the population would be in decline.

However, isn't it fair to say the population of humans is "too high" when 3/4's of it doesn't get the needed substance.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
So this is my first thread around here (I think.) Hope I do well!

I am a huge hunter but I do have my own set of morals I follow when I hunt.

1. I eat what I kill.
2. I give the game a fair chance.
3. I only use myself and dogs.
A. The only time I use vehicles is to transfer big game after I kill it.

Am I acting immorally when I hunt animals?
Not in my book.

Isnt hunting more moral than eating cows that have been breed and massively slaughtered?
I think so.

Is it wrong to hunt animals?
Sometimes. I despise trophy/ sport hunters who waste the kill.

Is it wrong to eat them?
No.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
However, isn't it fair to say the population of humans is "too high" when 3/4's of it doesn't get the needed substance.
It seems more than fair to say that. Widespread undernourishment would be a symptom of overpopulation.
It depends upon what one's goals are. Mine is not the maximizing the number of humans on Earth. I'd prefer
some balance with a higher quality of life for fewer people.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I am a huge hunter but I do have my own set of morals I follow when I hunt.

1. I eat what I kill.
2. I give the game a fair chance.
3. I only use myself and dogs.
A. The only time I use vehicles is to transfer big game after I kill it.

Am I acting immorally when I hunt animals?
I wouldn't say that what you are doing is necessarily immoral. I couldn't possibly say that as long as I eat meat. I really can't understand, though, what enjoyment there is in taking a life. It's something that I've never been able to get my head around.

dallas1125

Covert Operative
I wouldn't say that what you are doing is necessarily immoral. I couldn't possibly say that as long as I eat meat. I really can't understand, though, what enjoyment there is in taking a life. It's something that I've never been able to get my head around.
I dont know what the enjoyment is. I have a lot of different ideas about it though.

dallas1125

Covert Operative
they are both present day problems and aren't the limitations set by the government?
I meant that the limitations work, but the government screwed up the limitations. Plus it has a lot to do with relocation of the wolves (I think) today more than the limitations.

Kel_Lightman

I just want to ask a simple question to the OP: Do you absolutely need to hunt for animals or can you cope by eating fruit, nuts and veg? If the latter is the case, then why the need to hunt an animal and cause another living being pain and distress?

There was a documentary last night on SBS called "Did cooking make us human?" and it looked into humans living on a raw diet (fruit, nuts and veg - like you've suggested) and they discovered that, not only could the volunteers not get through the sheer volume of food they'd need to survive, but they actually lost an average of 6 kilos in the week and would have starved to death had they continued to eat that way. We need meat in our diets, and yes, you can survive on a vegetarian/vegan diet, but really, I haven't met one single veg who didn't look pale and sick.

As long as it's done humanely and using as much of the animal as possible, hunt away! :D

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
There was a documentary last night on SBS called "Did cooking make us human?" and it looked into humans living on a raw diet (fruit, nuts and veg - like you've suggested) and they discovered that, not only could the volunteers not get through the sheer volume of food they'd need to survive, but they actually lost an average of 6 kilos in the week and would have starved to death had they continued to eat that way. We need meat in our diets, and yes, you can survive on a vegetarian/vegan diet, but really, I haven't met one single veg who didn't look pale and sick.

As long as it's done humanely and using as much of the animal as possible, hunt away! :D
I'm not pale and sick! ( well, not sick anyway. There's not much I can do about my northern European ancestry).
Cooking's main advantage is in processing plant materials. Cooking breaks down cell walls our digestive enzymes can't penetrate, releasing otherwise inaccessible nutrition.
Animal cells have no cell walls. Meat is easily digested, raw or cooked, even by a short, simple digestive system.

FR33MASON

That is always the argument that seems to come up. How can a wolf or a lion live otherwise? They are hunting for survival - humans aren't.
Why can't a human hunt for survival? I think that it is immoral to support corporate run slaughterhouses when you have the option to hunt. Any hunter has it in their best interest to invoke as little suffering to their prey as it results in better meat.

Wannabe Yogi

There was a documentary last night on SBS called "Did cooking make us human?" and it looked into humans living on a raw diet (fruit, nuts and veg - like you've suggested) and they discovered that, not only could the volunteers not get through the sheer volume of food they'd need to survive, but they actually lost an average of 6 kilos in the week and would have starved to death had they continued to eat that way.

This goes against all scientific studies that have read about in the last few years.

The American Dietetic Association (ADA) has long stated that appropriately-planned vegetarian and vegan diets are appropriate for individuals at every stage of the life-cycle, including pregnancy, lactation, infancy, childhood, and adolescence. Just recently though, the ADA released an updated position paper in support of vegetarianism. The new paper, which can be found at eatright.org Page Not Found - American Dietetic Association, focuses more on vegetarian nutrition, bone health, and information on how vegetarian diets can prevent and treat common conditions, including cancer, ischemic heart disease, hypertension, obesity, and type 2 diabetes.

ADA Sanctions Vegetarian Diets: Will Americans Follow?

but really, I haven't met one single veg who didn't look pale and sick.

Maybe you have confused Goth kids and Vegetarians ;)

Two few famous veggy Athletes

Carl Lewis
World champion sprinter

Edwin Moses won gold medals in the 400 meter hurdles at the 1976 and 1984 Olympics.

Here is a much bigger list of famous vegetarians

List of vegetarians - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I am sure you will find many healthy people on this list.

Last edited: