• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

*[I believe] Atheism is an absurd worldview

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
I don't. There have always been minorities and there always will be. How well it's handled is a matter of character.
Do you or do you not understand the point that there are very good reasons for atheists to openly debate the topic of theism?

Also, for being one who hates "cop outs", this is one the biggest cop out arguments I've read on these forums. "There will always be minorities, so there's no point in minority groups bothering to speak out on subjects that greatly effect them, even if it also effects other groups".

Seriously? Try harder.

Reflex

Do you or do you not understand the point that there are very good reasons for atheists to openly debate the topic of theism?
I understand it as well as I understand why an adult would want to debate Santa with a child.

Absurd, isn't it?

Last edited:

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
I understand it as well as I understand an adult would want to debate Santa with a child.
Again, intellectually vapid, snarky remarks get you nowhere. Do you understand that theistic and religious beliefs have far-reaching consequences on a global scale?

I don't recall any children declaring any wars in the name of Santa; perhaps you could furnish me with some names and dates.

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
he refuses to describe his deity, because he know it corners himself.

he thinks "classical theism" is an actual god concept, not a philosophical arguement
I think ultimately the conceptualizing of God is like a mirror to its worshipers, they all identify with him on some level and when you try to come at it objectively they get offended. They see it as you attacking them because the deity is so much like them. Classical theism seems to take God and spin him however way they want to.

Reflex

Then what is it? Which God has revealed himself to you to make you think this?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_of_deities
In view of what was said, this is simply incoherent.

I think ultimately the conceptualizing of God is like a mirror to its worshipers, they all identify with him on some level and when you try to come at it objectively they get offended. They see it as you attacking them because the deity is so much like them. Classical theism seems to take God and spin him however way they want to.
Do you know what classical theism implies?

Again, intellectually vapid, snarky remarks get you nowhere. Do you understand that theistic and religious beliefs have far-reaching consequences on a global scale?
And atheism doesn't?

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
Gambit,

I think atheists here have proven your OP to be true several times over.
Alright Reflex, let's entertain the notion that God is independent of everything and exists out in eternity. How does an eternal being create something that is bound by time?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Alright Reflex, let's entertain the notion that God is independent of everything and exists out in eternity. How does an eternal being create something that is bound by time?
Ho. (Don't mean that in a derogatory sense.)
If "God" is independent of everything (then of time, existence, and description, since those are obviously things), then, to create, such a being need simply introduce dependence.

For instance, you'd be dismayed (or at least I hope you would) on how Iong it took to compose this reply dependent on a ****in lousy phone keyboard, a faulty ISP, and a persistent cat. Together, those things create delay, because they make my posting a timely response dependent on them.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
That is in itself a worldview, and a self-contradicting one at at that. It proves the original premise: atheism is absurd. It's special pleading because theism, too, has any number of different world views.
How is it special pleading?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
That's kinda the point: not even the most ardent non-stamp collector is going to take an action that involves his hobby of not collecting stamps. The insanity of it is that they don't see the absurdity of their debating the issue. It's more like thy are trying to convince themselves than anything else.
The fallacy here is only the stamp.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Disbelief in God has implications. One of those implications is a disbelief in God implies a disbelief in final causality or teleology (purpose). So, I'm afraid you can't run and hide by arguing you have no worldview. You most certainly do. You view the world as completely devoid of God and therefore devoid of an ultimate purpose or meaning. Such a worldview is an absurd one.

Using the word absurd in the way you have, I can agree that I see no ultimate purpose, since I wouldn't see the meaning I bring to my own life as 'ultimate'.
What I never quite understood, though, was how belief in God then provided ultimate purpose in a way otherwise absent. That seems simply accepted rather than examined in many discussions.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Using the word absurd in the way you have, I can agree that I see no ultimate purpose, since I wouldn't see the meaning I bring to my own life as 'ultimate'.
What I never quite understood, though, was how belief in God then provided ultimate purpose in a way otherwise absent. That seems simply accepted rather than examined in many discussions.
To be fair, the process of analysis (examination) isn't highly regarded in all philosophical circles.