• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

*[I believe] Atheism is an absurd worldview

Tyho

A lot of atheists are also materialist therefore do not accept a First Cause, afterlife or any transcendant outlook on life

I have read A Universe From Nothing by Lawrence Krauss recently and what I get from Krauss' perspective is that we are biological robots living meaningless lives in a Universe that sprang from 'nothing'. I can easily understand why many people couldn't relate to that worldview.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
And atheism doesn't?
I am facepalming so hard right now...

I have NEVER said that atheism doesn't, and that's not even close to the point I'm making. YOU said that there was no point in atheists debating something that THEY don't believe. I have explained (repeatedly, now) that theism and religion have a multitude of real-world consequences that make it perfectly reasonable for people who are skeptical of such beliefs to openly debate them.

How do you not get this? It's really not difficult to understand.

Last edited:

McBell

Admiral Obvious

I have NEVER said that atheism doesn't, and that's not even close to the point I'm making. YOU said that there was no point in atheists debating something that THEY don't believe. I have explained (repeatedly, now) that theism and religion have a multitude of real-world consequences that make it perfectly reasonable for people who are skeptical of such beliefs to openly debate them.

I suspect that he does not want to understand simply because it will mess with his own warped world view.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Because they have tenets, principles, beliefs, etc. built into them. Atheism is just the lack of a belief in a claim.
A worldview is made of all the ideas, attitudes, and points of view that make us up, either as a group or individually. For the group "atheist" it is characterized by a world absent of any acutal god or gods.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
A worldview is made of all the ideas, attitudes, and points of view that make us up, either as a group or individually. For the group "atheist" it is characterized by a world absent of any acutal god or gods.
But that's it. Nothing more. Atheists believe all kinds of different things apart from their atheism.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
A lot of atheists are also materialist therefore do not accept a First Cause, afterlife or any transcendant outlook on life

I have read A Universe From Nothing by Lawrence Krauss recently and what I get from Krauss' perspective is that we are biological robots living meaningless lives in a Universe that sprang from 'nothing'. I can easily understand why many people couldn't relate to that worldview.

Are you telling us that people believe in God because they do not like the alternative?

What about rationally analyzing claims, instead of accepting them because they are so cool for our egos?

Ciao

- viole

Reflex

I get that, but don't you think it would behoove those arguing from an atheistic worldview to know what they are talking about? The “debate” is always about whether some god or other that is analogous to Santa or a flying spaghetti monster exists, or about faith verses reason -- as though they were somehow in conflict with each other. That approach is childish and absurd.

Interestingly, RedDragon started another thread by posting a very good video about the difference between Classical Theism and Theistic Personalism. Since it was not accompanied by any commentary, I don't know if the poster understood the video's content, but Classical Theism is consistent with what I said in post #222 (which was subsequently and absurdly ignored). Now, here is another video about faith and reason:

Why not keep things on an intelligent level instead of going on half-cocked with childish nonsense?

Last edited:

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
I get that, but don't you think it would behoove those arguing from an atheistic worldview to know what they are talking about?
How many times does it have to be explained that atheism isn't a worldview? Worldviews cannot be comprised of a single position on a single subject. It's incredibly ironic that you blanketly accuse atheists of not knowing what they are talking about after repeatedly demonstrating your own ignorance.

The “debate” is always about whether some god or other that is analogous to Santa or a flying spaghetti monster exists,
And the irony continues. The only time Santa was mentioned as being analageous to theism in our debate was when YOU made that direct comparison.

or about faith verses belief -- as though they were somehow in conflict with each other. That approach is childish and absurd.
Firstly, give a single example of any atheist claiming that faith and belief are "in conflict".

Secondly, you are in no position to accuse anyone of being childish considering some of the posts you have made in this thread.

Interestingly, RedDragon started another thread by posting a very good video about the difference between Classical Theism and Theistic Personalism. Since it was not accompanied by any commentary, I don't know if the poster understood the video's content, but Classical Theism is consistent with what I said in post #222 (which was subsequently and absurdly ignored). Now, here is another video about faith and reason:

Why not keep things on an intelligent level instead of going on half-cocked with childish nonsense?
I'd love to, as soon as you show the capacity to stop engagin in childish nonsense. You can start by admitting that your earlier statements about atheists having no good reason to debate the subject of theism was ignorant nonsense.

Reflex

How many times does it have to be explained that atheism isn't a worldview? Worldviews cannot be comprised of a single position on a single subject. It's incredibly ironic that you blanketly accuse atheists of not knowing what they are talking about after repeatedly demonstrating your own ignorance.
In that case, back at you. Only replace the word "atheism" with "theism."

And the irony continues. The only time Santa was mentioned as being analageous to theism in our debate was when YOU made that direct comparison.

Firstly, give a single example of any atheist claiming that faith and belief are "in conflict".
Seriously? You've just took absurdity to a whole to a whole other level. I have more than a half dozen people on my ignore list for that kind of nonsense and tried to ignore another -- a staff member that I couldn't.

Secondly, you are in no position to accuse anyone of being childish considering some of the posts you have made in this thread.
Still upset about the adult debating the child about Santa, eh? I've never read a book by atheists making their argument that doesn't take that approach.

I'd love to, as soon as you show the capacity to stop engagin in childish nonsense. You can start by admitting that your earlier statements about atheists having no good reason to debate the subject of theism was ignorant nonsense.
Not gonna happen. I refer you again to post #222. Instead of debating God's existence, atheists should discuss the First Cause, which is undeniable even by the standards of rational atheism.

And I suggest you watch all the videos in the series I posted. (But I seriously doubt that's gonna happen.)

Last edited:

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Seriously? You've just took absurdity to a whole to a whole other level. I have more than a half dozen people on my ignore list for that kind of nonsense and tried to ignore another -- a staff member that I couldn't.
I was unaware you can put yourself on your ignore list....