• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

*[I believe] Atheism is an absurd worldview

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
In that case, back at you. Only replace the word "atheism" with "theism."
Okay, now I am almost certain you are a troll, as I have NEVER EVEN ONCE said or suggested that theism is a worldview.

Seriously? You've just took absurdity to a whole to a whole other level.
You keep using that word, and I'm not sure you know what it means.

I have more than a half dozen people on my ignore list for that kind of nonsense and tried to ignore another -- a staff member that I couldn't.

Still upset about the adult debating the child about Santa, eh?
Upset? What are you even talking about? At this stage, you're just embarrassing yourself.

I've never read a book by atheists making their argument that doesn't take that approach.
What does that have to do with anything? Deal with the arguments presented to you - stop constructing strawmen.

Not gonna happen. I refer you again to post #222. Instead of debating God's existence, atheists should discuss the First Cause, which is undeniable even by the standards of rational atheism.
According to you, and since you have made yourself look incredibly foolish then excuse me if I don't take your word for it over the many millions of scientists who don't blindly accept your conclusion.

Also, why should we stop debating God when PEOPLE STILL KEEP ASSERTING IT. The sheer irony of you insisting atheists stop debating this subject and move on to the first cause while you yourself STILL DEBATE ATHEISM is staggering.

And I suggest you watch all the videos in the series I posted. (But I seriously doubt that's gonna happen.)
I am not interested in this diversionary debate of yours. I just wanted to point out your ignorance, hypocrisy and the lack of logic in your arguments and accusationa against atheism.

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
In view of what has been said about the First Cause, isn't that question more than just a little absurd? I mean, the answer is right there in post #222. Just give it a little thought.
How does a being that transcendent create something material?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
The atheistic worldview is an absurd one. Why? Because the atheist views the world as ultimately meaningless and therefore as absurd.

What's absurd is assuming that atheism is necessarily nihilistic. Why would an external force be a prerequisite for finding meaning or purpose? I think seeing the meaning of life as nothing more than the pursuit of a post-mortem cookie reward is rather shallow and sad.

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
Ho. (Don't mean that in a derogatory sense.)
If "God" is independent of everything (then of time, existence, and description, since those are obviously things), then, to create, such a being need simply introduce dependence.

For instance, you'd be dismayed (or at least I hope you would) on how Iong it took to compose this reply dependent on a ****in lousy phone keyboard, a faulty ISP, and a persistent cat. Together, those things create delay, because they make my posting a timely response dependent on them.
Oh, sorry to hear about your phone. Are you on T mobile?

Your example contradicts your definition of the independent God. If God and the way he creates can't be described then your examples of what you create are inadequate. On top of this, the delay didn't arise from nothing.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Oh, sorry to hear about your phone. Are you on T mobile?

Your example contradicts your definition of the independent God. If God and the way he creates can't be described then your examples of what you create are inadequate. On top of this, the delay didn't arise from nothing.
It's an example of dependence. Delay is created by dependence. Describing god only creates a "god" of a sort similar to the delay.

Reflex

I am not interested in this diversionary debate of yours. I just wanted to point out your ignorance, hypocrisy and the lack of logic in your arguments and accusationa against atheism.
:rolleyes: Are you saying that you are not even willing to look at some educational videos? Figures. I call it "willful ignorance" and it serves to prove the case made in the OP. RedDragon, on the other hand, seems to show a willingness to actually engage, and that seems to disprove it.

How does a being that transcendent create something material?
George Berkeley seems to have anticipated the controversy in physics today when he said, "Matter does not exist" and "To be is to be perceived." That being said, I refer you again to post #222. Is the First Source/Quantum Field transcendent, immanent or both? Clearly, it is both. Here's an excerpt from The Loop of Creation by Clara Szalai. In the context of what we are discussing, Viewpoint 1 represents the perfection of an undifferentiated infinity -- divine simplicity; Viewpoint 2 represents the accepted scientific view whether you're talking about about the Big Bang as a singular event, an infinite number of universes, something from “nothing,” “branes,” or whatever.

Imagine going to a recital of a renowned violinist who is going to perform the newest work of a
great composer. You sit, expectantly awaiting the great work to unfold and caress your ears. And then,
the violinist strikes one tone and keeps it at an endless legato, without any change for two hours. One
single note for two hours. First, you would demand your money refunded, and then you would beat up
the violinist. After that you would break the composer’s nose, and only then would you kill the
manager. The torture of one single unchanging tone for two hours constitutes mitigating circumstances.
Well, that’s Viewpoint 1 in its essence.

Now imagine going to a concert. You sit listening to the orchestra, each instrument playing its own
virtuoso piece, tuning, talking before the entree of the conductor. The conductor appears, there is
applause, and then tense silence. He lifts his arms and the orchestra starts. That is the moment when all
hell breaks loose: it is a worse cacophony than when they were only tuning. There is nothing in
common between any of the players. There is no rhythm, no key, no melody, no harmony, nothing.
Everybody is playing different disconnected sounds. Each player keeps changing what they do, yet
without any regard for anyone else. A violin is busy with endless glissandos, a trumpet randomly hits
notes in staccato, a cello is doing trills on different tones and so on. Now that’s hell, you say. It’s
modern music, but still… It’s too much. After two hours of this, you tear off the conductor’s toupee
and start dancing on it. You break the first violinist’s instrument over his head and you kill the
manager. That’s pure Viewpoint 2.

What’s missing? Structure, of course. When you listen to a classic string quartet, they play in the
same key and in the same rhythm (three quarters or six eights, or whatever). The violin plays a melody,
the others accompany, and then the viola plays a melody and the others accompany it; then there is a
fugue where all participate in playing the melody while remaining in harmony.

There are certain fixed relations between all the players (like rhythm, scale, etc.). Further, there is
a structure to the composition performed. By definition, composition means structure. For example, a
sonata is a certain musical expression that gets developed and changed, and in the end, it is repeated in
its final form. That’s its story, its structure. If you listen to such a composition, you can enjoy it. That’s
Viewpoint 2 giving meaning to Viewpoint 1, a structure, wherein there are fixed relations and also
motion. It is relations of sameness and difference interwoven and braided in meaningful ways, each
process related to by the other processes, inter-referring. Such a composition is a process consisting of
changing relations creating meaningful constellations with beauty.
Science, as practiced today, acknowledges pure Viewpoint 2, but chooses to deny the eternal perfection of Viewpoint 1. As a consequence, science cannot have, even in principle, an accounting for the fixed relations that give rise to structure and all its richness.

Last edited:

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
:rolleyes: Are you saying that you are not even willing to look at some educational videos?
Why should I when it has absolutely nothing to do with my initial objection to your comments? You made a bunch of ignorant, uneducated comments about atheists, and utterly failed to defend yourself when challenged. I've never addressed any of your other beliefs, purely your assertions about atheism and atheists. Your attempt to distract from that fact that you humiliated yourself by throwing up some completely unrelated videos and pretending we were talking about something else will not wash with me.

Figures. I call it "willful ignorance" and it serves to prove the case made in the OP.
Are you going to retract or apologize for any of your previous claims, or are you just going to ignore the fact that I completely destroyed your arguments about atheism?

Reflex

I was just going to ignore you.

There is some debate as to whether atheism is a worldview. The absurdity of it it that only atheists tend to make it an issue. It's like swatting at gnats while being trampled by an elephant.

A worldview is a set of propositions, beliefs, and assumptions that a person uses when relating to and interpreting the world around him. Thefreedictionary.com defines a worldview as “the overall perspective from which one sees and interprets the world. A collection of beliefs about life and the universe held by an individual or a group.” Definitions are pretty much the same everywhere.

Now, your claim is that atheism is just one proposition among many that comprise a worldview so it is not in itself a worldview. That is childishly simplistic. It's like believing you can separate the H2 from the O and still have your water.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
The absurdity of it it that only atheists tend to make it an issue.
Except the OP is a theist...

A worldview is a set of propositions, beliefs, and assumptions that a person uses when relating to and interpreting the world around him. Thefreedictionary.com defines a worldview as “the overall perspective from which one sees and interprets the world. A collection of beliefs about life and the universe held by an individual or a group.” Definitions are pretty much the same everywhere.

Now, your claim is that atheism is just one proposition among many that comprise a worldview so it is not in itself a worldview. That is childishly simplistic. It's like believing you can separate the H2 from the O and still have your water.
ah, so according to you atheism is a "set of propositions, beliefs, and assumptions", right?
I mean, it has to in order for you to be right about it being a worldview, right?
This being the case, please be so kind as to present these propositions, beliefs, and assumptions that you claim atheism holds.

Curious George

Veteran Member
True enough, but that doesn't mean their self-created meaning isn't absurd.

Like I said elsewhere: Whether talking about the Big Bang as a singular event, an infinite number of universes, something from “nothing,” “branes” or whatever, there is always and inevitably the premise of a self-existing and indeterminate quantum field. There is no way of getting around it. There is an aversion to calling this field a “first cause” because of its obvious theistic connotation, but semantics aside, that's exactly what it is. And this presumed "first cause" of science and the God of religion are one and the same. Whether we call it "God" or the "quantum field," it is "the circle of infinity whose center is everywhere and circumference nowhere."

The word "divine," like the words "God" and "reality," is an indicator to facilitate communication. It designates an experience without defining or describing that to which it points. Anything said about it is just that person's conceptual interpretation--the reality itself is indefinite. Of course, there is no empirical or objective evidence that the sense of connectedness is indeed genuine, but it is not inconsistent with science (especially in view of modern science) and no one seriously denies that it is real, though more often not, it is known unconsciously or secondhand rather than something experienced firsthand. William James understood this quite well.
Because you have referred back to this post several times I wanted to address it.

It does make a difference what we call this first cause. The concept of God is pretty esoteric but God of religion is certainly not the same as quantum field or what-have you.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_field_theory

Compare to:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/God

ArtieE

And atheism is just the absence of belief in the existence of gods. It isn't a collection of beliefs, it isn't even one belief but just the absence of one particular belief. An atheist can believe whatever he likes just as long as there are no gods involved.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Suffice it to say that the atheist lives in a world without any actual gods. That's all an atheist worldview means.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
There is some debate as to whether atheism is a worldview.
There really isn't.

The absurdity of it it that only atheists tend to make it an issue. It's like swatting at gnats while being trampled by an elephant.
Anyone who understands the meaning of the word "worldview" should make it an issue.

You have literally just proven yourself wrong.

Reflex

Because you have referred back to this post several times I wanted to address it.

It does make a difference what we call this first cause. The concept of God is pretty esoteric but God of religion is certainly not the same as quantum field or what-have you.
That's Viewpoint 2.

And atheism is just the absence of belief in the existence of gods. It isn't a collection of beliefs, it isn't even one belief but just the absence of one particular belief. An atheist can believe whatever he likes just as long as there are no gods involved.
Like I haven't hear that before? Even the absence of a belief doesn't exist in a vacuum. Its absence affects all the other beliefs and assumptions within any given worldview. A theist, too, can also believe anything he likes, but I don't know of any that make a fuss about it being called a worldview, and it's absurd if they do. It's swatting at gnats.

ArtieE

Like I haven't hear that before? Even the absence of a belief doesn't exist in a vacuum. Its absence affects all the other beliefs and assumptions within any given worldview.
What other beliefs and assumptions do you think you are required to have to qualify as an atheist besides not believing in the existence of gods? None...

Reflex

If you want consistency and coherence, you are left only the choice between two philosophic dilemmas: materialism or pantheism. However, and I want to stress this, those who deny God are almost never consistent or coherent.