• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

*[I believe] Atheism is an absurd worldview

skl

A man on a mission
You might want to edit this sentence. What does it mean?

Exactly what it says. A myth may be started by some one who saw something real happen such as a man fought with an old lion feared by villagers and against all odds the man survived because during the struggle the lion had a heart attack and dropped dead. The observer immediately thought this man was special and spread the word throughout his village of how this man had killed the lion with his bare hands. As the generations went by the story was added too by the story tellers and the hero eventually killed 3 lions stood a whopping ten foot tall and was built like a brick **** house. More generations go by and after a thousand years he is revered as a god of the lions. The story became a myth from day one because no vet could explain why the lion died anyway, but regardless of that, the more a story is told the more it is manipulated to suit the writers and tellers of stories. This as I have said is a fact of human nature, especially in the days when there is no science available to debunk the lies. Does this explain?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Exactly what it says. A myth may be started by some one who saw something real happen such as a man fought with an old lion feared by villagers and against all odds the man survived because during the struggle the lion had a heart attack and dropped dead. The observer immediately thought this man was special and spread the word throughout his village of how this man had killed the lion with his bare hands. As the generations went by the story was added too by the story tellers and the hero eventually killed 3 lions stood a whopping ten foot tall and was built like a brick **** house. More generations go by and after a thousand years he is revered as a god of the lions. The story became a myth from day one because no vet could explain why the lion died anyway, but regardless of that, the more a story is told the more it is manipulated to suit the writers and tellers of stories. This as I have said is a fact of human nature, especially in the days when there is no science available to debunk the lies. Does this explain?
I don't think it is as simple as that. Like the video explained, the myths which this thread is about didn't start with anything happening on the Earth.
All the stories are about what happens in the sky. People with their brain screwed on right are trying to tell us something in a language (pictures) that everyone might understand. I think it is a wonderful coincidence that the spirit phenomenon which they explain with a story looks the same to everyone who can see it. It proves to me that humankind is linked somehow. Maybe in Aquarius it will be discovered how.

skl

A man on a mission
It is logical if not considered simple, the video was indicating that humans looked into the sky and saw the giver of life “the sun” and the stars that are in the sky and beyond. Put yourself in their ancient environment and you would ask, why is the sun in the sky, why does it disappear and why is it dark, what are the stars for, why do we get flooded, why do we get lightning bolts etc.? They had no idea about the scientific world but they could observe and monitor the movement of the stars and the path of the sun and consequently the more they learnt allowed them to predict their seasons and the best crop growing times etc.

Who were the people with their brain screwed on? If you mean the ones who worked out the astrology concept of events that is true because you could argue this was the humble beginnings of scientific investigation and the birth of astronomy. Mankind is surely linked to these ancient times and what we find is astrology is strongly connected and influenced religious belief that was a familiar part of the culture of the times but ironically today astrology causes ire amongst some fundamental Christians who regard it as demonic.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It is logical if not considered simple, the video was indicating that humans looked into the sky and saw the giver of life “the sun” and the stars that are in the sky and beyond. Put yourself in their ancient environment and you would ask, why is the sun in the sky, why does it disappear and why is it dark, what are the stars for, why do we get flooded, why do we get lightning bolts etc.? They had no idea about the scientific world but they could observe and monitor the movement of the stars and the path of the sun and consequently the more they learnt allowed them to predict their seasons and the best crop growing times etc.

Who were the people with their brain screwed on? If you mean the ones who worked out the astrology concept of events that is true because you could argue this was the humble beginnings of scientific investigation and the birth of astronomy. Mankind is surely linked to these ancient times and what we find is astrology is strongly connected and influenced religious belief that was a familiar part of the culture of the times but ironically today astrology causes ire amongst some fundamental Christians who regard it as demonic.
I do not disagree with any of that. You should probably stop accusing people who you do not know of the crime of plagiarism. That was my point.

skl

A man on a mission
I do not disagree with any of that. You should probably stop accusing people who you do not know of the crime of plagiarism. That was my point.
I am very sure plagiarism was not a crime in ancient civilisations as it is today. It may have cost you your life if it annoyed the original writer, but only if they were still alive and could find you.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I am very sure plagiarism was not a crime in ancient civilisations as it is today. It may have cost you your life if it annoyed the original writer, but only if they were still alive and could find you.
OK. You should probably stop accusing people who you do not know of plagiarism.

skl

A man on a mission
OK. You should probably stop accusing people who you do not know of plagiarism.

I have news for you! It is incomprehensible to believe that no plagiarism and at the least copying was used by the writers of all religious scriptures. Just as starters, the blatant resemblance from the Sumerian and Biblical creationist stories positions itself for some serious questions.

Tom Harpur, an author, journalist, Anglican priest, and theologian, studied the works of three authors specialized in ancient Egyptian religion: Godfrey Higgins (1771-1834), Gerald Massey (1828-1907) and Alvin Boyd Kuhn (1880-1963). Harpur incorporated some of their findings into his book "Pagan Christ." 1 He argued that all of the essential ideas of both Judaism and Christianity came primarily from Egyptian religion, including monotheism.

Harpur writes, in his book:

"[Author Gerald] Massey discovered nearly two hundred instances of immediate correspondence between the mythical Egyptian material and the allegedly historical Christian writings about Jesus. Horus indeed was the archetypal Pagan Christ." 2

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I have news for you! It is incomprehensible to believe that no plagiarism and at the least copying was used by the writers of all religious scriptures. Just as starters, the blatant resemblance from the Sumerian and Biblical creationist stories positions itself for some serious questions.

Tom Harpur, an author, journalist, Anglican priest, and theologian, studied the works of three authors specialized in ancient Egyptian religion: Godfrey Higgins (1771-1834), Gerald Massey (1828-1907) and Alvin Boyd Kuhn (1880-1963). Harpur incorporated some of their findings into his book "Pagan Christ." 1 He argued that all of the essential ideas of both Judaism and Christianity came primarily from Egyptian religion, including monotheism.

Harpur writes, in his book:

"[Author Gerald] Massey discovered nearly two hundred instances of immediate correspondence between the mythical Egyptian material and the allegedly historical Christian writings about Jesus. Horus indeed was the archetypal Pagan Christ." 2
I must wonder how you are so sure that time only goes forward.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Anything is possible, I guess. But, what evidence is there that time can move in any other way than forward?
I tend to believe that people are able to perceive the future and to prophesy it. That would be a picture of the future going backwards.

I should admit that I can do it. But I can only do it for myself. I do not know how people do it about other people. God, maybe?

leibowde84

Veteran Member
I tend to believe that people are able to perceive the future and to prophesy it. That would be a picture of the future going backwards.

I should admit that I can do it. But I can only do it for myself. I do not know how people do it about other people. God, maybe?
So there is no evidence, then? Only claims made about personal, subjective, unverified experiences?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
So there is no evidence, then? Only claims made about personal, subjective, unverified experiences?
Someone might test me but I do not know if I can do while someone watches. MY evidence is I knew I had an alert and I knew it was you BEFORE I clicked.

I play Yahtzee online with the computer. I can't say I always know what is going to happen. But many times I do. I am in touch with my feelings and I read them, I know what they mean. I can predict the immediate future by reading my feelings. If I can do it someone else can do it better than me. That is how I know that the Egyptians instead of prophesying what will happen, they acted it out.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Someone might test me but I do not know if I can do while someone watches. MY evidence is I knew I had an alert and I knew it was you BEFORE I clicked.

I play Yahtzee online with the computer. I can't say I always know what is going to happen. But many times I do. I am in touch with my feelings and I read them, I know what they mean. I can predict the immediate future by reading my feelings. If I can do it someone else can do it better than me. That is how I know that the Egyptians instead of prophesying what will happen, they acted it out.
Subjective experience is unreliable when unverified, though. So why do you consider it's validity sufficient?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Subjective experience is unreliable when unverified, though. So why do you consider it's validity sufficient?
It is because it has happened many thousands of times. I considered it might be da ja vu which I happen to think is a mind thing which thinks something is repeating but really it is memory getting confused. I think it is not that. In other words, it is not me wondering if I knew it.
I know I can KNOW what will happen because I have experimented with it. Or I am dreaming.

Another thing it might be is pattern reading. I can do that too. But knowing what will happen isn't that.

It doesn't happen only with Yahtzee. :)

Last edited:

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
And I usually know when a conversation is over. If someone can follow my pattern on Religious Forums that is some little proof that I know what will happen and what won't happen. Because........I stay on and we have a conversation but I leave when there won't be one. See?

Another thing. I can't know I don't have or do have an alert unless I actually look. Do you understand?
No? It means I won't know I don't (or know if I do have an alert) unless I look but before I look I know if I do or don't but not always. That would be weird.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
And I usually know when a conversation is over. If someone can follow my pattern on Religious Forums that is some little proof that I know what will happen and what won't happen. Because........I stay on and we have a conversation but I leave when there won't be one. See?

Another thing. I can't know I don't have or do have an alert unless I actually look. Do you understand?
No? It means I won't know I don't (or know if I do have an alert) unless I look but before I look I know if I do or don't but not always. That would be weird.

Explicit atheism is untenable.
agnostic atheism, is not technically, a disbelief in deity, it merely is a non-position as to the existence of deity. Non-explicit atheism /what is that?/ , is what happens before some one has a religion experience. :)

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Explicit atheism is untenable.
agnostic atheism, is not technically, a disbelief in deity, it merely is a non-position as to the existence of deity. Non-explicit atheism /what is that?/ , is what happens before some one has a religion experience. :)
How did I know it wouldn't be about our conversation?

Yes, Thank you. Did you know I had to look up explicit and untenable? You are talking about @leibowde84.
Neither side is able to defend belief or non-belief imo.

Is it about what I said? You quoted me @q konn