• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

*[I believe] Atheism is an absurd worldview

You have to rationally defend implications of your disbelief in God as you are attempting to do now. If not, then you concede the debate by virtue of default.

You cannot rationally demonstrate that you create your own purpose without presupposing some higher purpose upon which you are acting.

On the atheistic worldview, all teleological explanations reduce to blind mechanisms playing themselves out. As such, all teleological explanations must be deemed illusory.
It is amazing how human babies, who apparently contain souls and all these things that require the nurturing of a God for purpose...

... don't have a clue about God, can't read his book, and yet function day to day with purpose.

It isn't until after the religious brainwashing when communication begins, that the "need" for a God is created.

Isn't it strange how most kids forcefully taught from very young, believe in that God they were taught about? It's like they were programmed to...

Atheism is a Godless worldview which has implications.
Religion is a worldview that has implications. Choosing Coke or Pepsi is a pop view that has implications. Dare I say most things come with implications.

Immature logic. Using big words does not a meaningful statement make. To think so, is a demonstration of the absurd.

Correction. The theist believes that life is ultimately purposeful and meaningful. In fact, the theist believes that each and every one is serving a greater purpose (regardless of whether one is consciously aware of that). The atheist does not.
What greater purpose? To believe you have a purpose without proof of that purpose is absurd. If the purpose you believe in without proof is incorrect, then your entire life will have been maleaningless.

Uh....right. Whatever. :rolleyes:

Everyone has a worldview. Some are atheistic, some are not. Someone who argues that atheism is not a belief or a worldview is someone who would have an up without a down. It's obfuscation, totally ridiculous and epistemically empty -- it's a convenient way of avoiding the difficulty of having to defend one's point of view. It's a worldview not worthy of the time of day.
It is not a sigularity. Protestants, Catholics, New Agers etc. all share a particular world view centered around Jesus... yet split off from one another citing different world views on other subjects...

I just re-read that paragraph and am dumbfounded that I had to write the obvious in such detail.

"Anything said about it is just that person's conceptual interpretation--the reality itself is indefinite." It follows, then, that calling the quantum field an "impersonal force" is a philosophical assumption. Depending one's personal experience, the First Source alluded to in my previous post can be prepersonal, personal, impersonal or transpersonal in ways we cannot begin to imagine. Or, as Thomas Aquinas said, "In the end, we know God as unknown." But the reality of a First Cause cannot be denied by a rational mind.

The debate, then, isn't whether God exists, but what the individual makes of It. "I dunno" (an escape often used by atheists) has no epistemic value, and to be satisfied with that shows all the intellectual dept of a dehydrated sponge.

What if this "divine creator" ended his existence in the creation of the universe? Oops. Shouldn't have played with that.

Therefore, you have your intelligent design, and the complete lack of godly presence since then.

The debate then shifts back to having to prove your god... the one listed in your particular god manual... exists.

If you want consistency and coherence, you are left only the choice between two philosophic dilemmas: materialism or pantheism. However, and I want to stress this, those who deny God are almost never consistent or coherent.
As much as you wish to deflect and dodge, or use terminology, definitions and quotes... it doesn't prove your claim a God exists... therefore, please provide proof. It really *is* that simple.

You could change the world! If you don't have proof, like if you were to claim hot sauce cures hemorrhoids and couldn't prove it, then don't expect anyone to buy your hot sauce.

I always laugh at the religious pseudo-intellectual who could completely end all debate with just one single act. Prove it.

ArtieE

If I am not mistaken, an Atheist is someone who does not believe that there is a God.
You are mistaken. An atheist is someone who does not believe that gods exist.
But don't you have to be God to say there is no God. As fallible human beings, we are totally incapable of properly entertaining all the information in the universe so that we can say emphatically that there is no God.
"Strong atheists" don't say emphatically that there are no gods. They say they believe there are no gods.
Therefore for a person to say there is no God is ridiculous and unprovable.
Mankind has believed in thousands of gods. For a Christian to say that there is no Poseidon or Zeus or Thor or Osiris or any other god than the one he believes in would be ridiculous and unprovable...?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
But don't you have to be God to say there is no God.
Lot's of people do.
Therefore for a person to say there is no God is ridiculous and unprovable.
The same can be said of all religions. You make the claim that there is a god, thus the burden of proof is on you.
You are mistaken. An atheist is someone who does not believe that gods exist.
Saying "I do not believe that god exists" means the exact same thing as "I do not believe that there is a god." The only difference is the words used.

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
Anyway the premise in the OP is fundamentally flawed because atheism isn't a world-view.

Belief or disbelief in God is only a part of an individual's world view, along with many other values, interests, beliefs and assumptions.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
If I am not mistaken, an Atheist is someone who does not believe that there is a God. But don't you have to be God to say there is no God. As fallible human beings, we are totally incapable of properly entertaining all the information in the universe so that we can say emphatically that there is no God. Therefore for a person to say there is no God is ridiculous and unprovable. Christ's prophet. Certainty for eternity.
Fine, but off-topic.

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
It's singular, yes, but not unique. It may be comprised of many things, but for atheism it's uncomplicated.

Both theists and atheists may have quite complicated world-views. If you mean there is likely to be less "baggage" for an atheist in this aspect of world-view, then yes, I'd agree.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Anyway the premise in the OP is fundamentally flawed because atheism isn't a world-view.

Belief or disbelief in God is only a part of an individual's world view, along with many other values, interests, beliefs and assumptions.
Atheism, as a worldview, is simply the world as the atheist knows it. An atheist may know the world many other ways as well. Saying atheism is a worldview is correct.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Both theists and atheists may have quite complicated world-views. If you mean there is likely to be less "baggage" for an atheist in this aspect of world-view, then yes, I'd agree.
There is a view for every subject. He is a subject, but so is his atheism a subject.

ArtieE

Theists are both theists and atheists in that they believe in the existence of one or more gods and don't believe in the existence of the rest of the gods. Atheists don't believe in the existence of any gods. Of course there are any number of different "world-views" possible.