• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

*[I believe] Atheism is an absurd worldview

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
Self-professed atheists who are spiritually-inclined have thoughts running through their heads that are at cross-purposes to the sense-impressions entering into their consciousnesses. It's a philosophy of life that's open to being accused—if not actually convicted—of hypocrisy: they experience the material as the ultimate truth but also believe in spirit. This produces an unavoidable tension between what is immediately apparent and what is believed. Atheists who are materialists don't have this problem, but live lives that are incommensurate with freedom.

The familiar but incorrect theist assumption that spirituality and religion have to involve "God".

You sound like an atheist: superficial.
It's an honest question... a personal question.

If society cannot function without a moral code from God, as you preached, then what horrible things is God keeping you personally from doing? This is your theory, not mine, so please share your inner demons that God's moral code keeps at bay.

That doesn't explain why it's not inconsistent, arbitrary, or turtles all the way down.

“There is only one God, who is all love; every human being has an immortal soul, whose highest destiny is to be united with God; if we live virtuous lives, we will join our heavenly Father after death, but if we do not, justice will be dc done; we must humbly yield to the divine will, accepting with equanimity whatever life brings us; to be attracted to the sensual pleasures of this world is to be distanced from God, the Good we seek but never find in material pursuits. And then there is the Christian conception of spirituality, which I won't bother to summarize.” (From Return to the One) The author was giving a brief description of the teachings of Plotinus, a Greek pagan philosopher in the third century.

The point is, even this pagan had a central idea/ideal that brought together cosmology and morality. The question I have is this: what ultimate explanation for reality do atheists have that also provides guidance and justification for moral behavior? I mean, besides turtles all the way down,
There is an old saying that, "One uses quotes and sayings in debates when they themselves have nothing worth quoting, and nothing relevant to say."

Who cares what one pagan said?

Self-professed atheists who are spiritually-inclined have thoughts running through their heads that are at cross-purposes to the sense-impressions entering into their consciousnesses. It's a philosophy of life that's open to being accused—if not actually convicted—of hypocrisy: they experience the material as the ultimate truth but also believe in spirit. This produces an unavoidable tension between what is immediately apparent and what is believed. Atheists who are materialists don't have this problem, but live lives that are incommensurate with freedom.

A perfect example of atheist superficiality. Thank you. (You really should read what you called "crap," especially the last sentence.)
lol.

Perhaps you were hearing voices. No one put forward the argument you are responding to.

A perfect example of atheist superficiality. Thank you. (You really should read what you called "crap," especially the last sentence.)
I find your pontificating nothing more than copy/paste rhetoric.

Please demonstrate you can connect human to human... and explain how your statement about humans not being able to live moral lives without God's moral code is proven in your life... and how you cannot choose to act morally on your own.

Please discuss your thought processes when confronted with a moral dilemma.

I have already explained that in the original post of this thread.

You'll find it in definition number two.
To cling so tightly to one book's definition of "meaningless", is just as absurd as clinging to another book's definition of what human life is supposed to be... according to some guy who wrote it over 1000 years ago.

Look up Merriam-Webster's definition of "Gay"... using your logic, if you are happy and jovial in the service of your Lord, you are gay, and therefore lead a homosexual existence.

Your logic is juvenile at best, and at worst, hateful rhetoric directed toward a group of people who disagree with your religion... which is nothing new when it comes to religion in general.

ArtieE

The question I have is this: what ultimate explanation for reality do atheists have that also provides guidance and justification for moral behavior?
You do have a point. Can you just imagine what al-Qaida, IS and Muslim terrorist suicide bombers would be capable of if they had been atheists instead of theists?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
That's the point.
I think I begin to understand you.
You don't mean "shallow" with the usual negative connotation of inadequacy.
Rather, it's about there being very little to it philosophically.
Similarly, being a deist is shallow because deism only the belief in a deity/deities,
& says nothing about one's philosophy.
Do I have it right?

allfoak

Alchemist
I met a guy in a homeless shelter once who i called Frankie.
His only purpose in life was to be able to collect disability insurance so that he could sit in his new easy chair, in his new apartment and watch his new big screen TV.

I never talked to Frankie about god cause it would have just messed up his happy life.

Reflex

From The Varieties of Religious Experience:

Q. What does Religion mean to you?

A. It means nothing; and it seems, so far as I can observe, useless to others. I am sixty-seven years
of age and have resided in X. fifty years, and have been in business forty-five, consequently I have
some little experience of life and men, and some women too, and I find that the most religious and
pious people are as a rule those most lacking in uprightness and morality. The men who do not go
to church or have any religious convictions are the best. Praying, singing of hymns, and
sermonizing are pernicious — they teach us to rely on some supernatural power, when we ought to
rely on ourselves. I teetotally disbelieve in a God. The God-idea was begotten in ignorance, fear,
and a general lack of any knowledge of Nature. If I were to die now, being in a healthy condition
for my age, both mentally and physically, I would just as lief, yes, rather, die with a hearty
enjoyment of music, sport, or any other rational pastime. As a timepiece stops, we die — there
being no immortality in either case.

Q. What comes before your mind corresponding to the words God, Heaven, Angels, etc.?

A. Nothing whatever. I am a man without a religion. These words mean so much mythic bosh.

Q. Have you had any experience which appeared providential?

A. None whatever. There is no agency of the superintending kind. A little judicious observation as
well as knowledge of scientific law will convince any one of this fact.

Q. What things work most strongly on your emotions?

A. Lively songs and music; Pinafore instead of an Oratorio. I like Scott, Burns, Byron,
Longfellow, especially Shakespeare, etc., etc. Of songs, the Star-spangled Banner, America,
Marseillaise, and all moral and soul-stirring songs, but wishy-washy hymns are my detestation. I
greatly enjoy nature, especially fine weather, and until within a few years used to walk Sundays
into the country, twelve miles often, with no fatigue, and bicycle forty or fifty. I have dropped the
bicycle. I never go to church, but attend lectures when there are any good ones. All of my thoughts
and cogitations have been of a healthy and cheerful kind, for instead of doubts and fears I see
things as they are, for I endeavor to adjust myself to my environment. This I regard as the deepest
law. Mankind is a progressive animal. I am satisfied he will have made a great advance over his
present status a thousand years hence.

Q. What is your notion of sin?

A. It seems to me that sin is a condition, a disease, incidental to man’s development not being yet
advanced enough. Morbidness over it increases the disease. We should think that a million of years
hence equity, justice, and mental and physical good order will be so fixed and organized that no one
will have any idea of evil or sin.

Q. What is your temperament?

A. Nervous, active, wide-awake, mentally and physically. Sorry that Nature compels us to sleep at
all.

If we are in search of a broken and a contrite heart, clearly we need not look to this
brother. His contentment with the finite incases him like a lobster-shell and shields him
from all morbid repining at his distance from the Infinite. We have in him an excellent
example of the optimism which may be encouraged by popular science.

Is this an example of a consistent and happy-minded atheist? Or a contented cow? I suspect that the “new atheism” is indicative of cows rebelling against the growing realization that reality is much larger than what their physical senses are telling them.

Last edited: