• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

i could use a little advice...

i live in a relatively rural suburbia of atlanta and it's not too uncommon to see "john 3:16" signs and "jesus is lord" signs off to the side of the road. often times they give me something to giggle about, and sometimes it just gives me something to be upset about besides atlanta traffic (which is rather frustrating).

leaving my neighborhood today i noticed that a brand new sign has appeared that says "Jesus is coming" in white on a blue 5x8 board and i feel that it's a little close to home (puns always intended). my knee jerk is to correct the problem under cloak of night in a drunken rampage, but that would probably result in another sign being put up and probably encouragment to the poster. so i figured i'd ask for advice from those of you i trust the most, my near-anonymous internet forum buddies. :D

what would you do in this situation, if anything at all?

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Ignore it completely and be on my way. These people are not harming anyone. I would treat them no different than roadside advertisements; that's essentially what they are, after all.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
i live in a relatively rural suburbia of atlanta and it's not too uncommon to see "john 3:16" signs and "jesus is lord" signs off to the side of the road. often times they give me something to giggle about, and sometimes it just gives me something to be upset about besides atlanta traffic (which is rather frustrating).

leaving my neighborhood today i noticed that a brand new sign has appeared that says "Jesus is coming" in white on a blue 5x8 board and i feel that it's a little close to home (puns always intended). my knee jerk is to correct the problem under cloak of night in a drunken rampage, but that would probably result in another sign being put up and probably encouragment to the poster. so i figured i'd ask for advice from those of you i trust the most, my near-anonymous internet forum buddies. :D

Spraypaint "hope he wore a condom" below it.............

Spraypaint "hope he wore a condom" below it.............

damnit! now i have to spend my whole evening making a stencil. haha.

i understand the cries to ignore it, and that's probably the best course of action. my town is just simply flooded with these images that to me scream complete dispair and it bothers me that kids are going to be reading them, and drunks are going to be reading them, and people grieving are going to be reading them and it could be the last straw that leads them to go check out a church and then get involved with something that will ultimately give them a deficit of hope, rather than what they expected.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
I agree with Bis, don't defile their property. If it's a public space, you can put your own sign beneath theirs, of course!

Or you could display a sign on your property if their sign is on private property to offer a counterpoint.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
damnit! now i have to spend my whole evening making a stencil. haha.

i understand the cries to ignore it, and that's probably the best course of action. my town is just simply flooded with these images that to me scream complete dispair and it bothers me that kids are going to be reading them, and drunks are going to be reading them, and people grieving are going to be reading them and it could be the last straw that leads them to go check out a church and then get involved with something that will ultimately give them a deficit of hope, rather than what they expected.
That's kinda touching... that someone cares so much about what the drunks are reading. :)

The Neo Nerd

Put up your own sign:

Something like:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=+1][SIZE=-1]"Deuteronomy 21:18-21[/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT]"

Which reads
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=+1]If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son ... Then shall his father and his mother ... bring him out unto the elders of his city ... And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die.[/SIZE][/FONT]
It's not overt, most people won't even look it up and if they do they will just ignore it.

But you and all your atheist friends will get a giggle out of it.

and every week put up a new sick and twisted biblical verse.

Sultan Of Swing

Or you could display a sign on your property if their sign is on private property to offer a counterpoint.

YESH! Have a super duper sign-war. The words "Jesus is coming" will soon turn to long, complicated arguments for His existence, while you reply with your own arguments. And then I can have the entertainment of watching drunk people and little children trying to read and understand these arguments.

MUHAHAHAHAHAA!!!!

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
It depends how close to my home it was, how obnoxious the sign was, and whose land it was on. If it's on private property though, what can you do?

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Chill out. Lots of advertising is offensive to lots of people - but it's called free speech. Would you rather live in a country where these types of signs were outlawed?

Think about it.

Gharib

I want Khilafah back

i agree something should be done, how about you go there and ask them why they believe so, that way you will learn something.