• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

i could use a little advice...

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
vidcap_metroads1205.jpg

dawkins_large.jpg

Sign on a Madison, WI bus

100908060752_sign.jpg

Billboard

Seattle_sign.jpg
Sign at a political gathering in Seattle

20100111061612!Anti-Christian_sign_in_Federal_Plaza_Chicago.jpg

IMG_0462.JPG

More freedom of speech

sky dancer

Religious privelege. That's what the dominant religion experiences in a society. Society privileges Christian religion in America by providing official sanction and support for their holy days. Religious holy days become official state holidays, though usually only one religion is specifically favored in this manner. The holy days (and sabbath, if one exists) of the dominant religion are given a special status; holy days of minority religions are ignored at best. Nonadherents of the dominant religion cannot avoid these holidays and are forced to incorporate them into their lives.

Last edited:

Kathryn

How many burning white crosses did you see there?

A better question might be, "Since I've lived in the American South for most of my life, how many burning crosses have I seen?"

And the answer woudl be, "Zero."

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Rajneesh Puram hindus.

The cross on the lawn of the Buddhist Center was intended to protest the Rajneeshees.

Most Hindus disowned Rajneesh, and I'm not sure if he even called himself a Hindu. an extremely unorthodox one, if he was one at all. but I understand the point.

sky dancer

You keep on bringing up this one instance. I'm curious and have several questions. What happened afterwards? Was there a backlash? Were there criminal charges? Why do you use the "one bad egg" argument? Do you truly believe that just because a few (presumably) white American Christians acted out inappropriately that all white American Christians are bad people? Do you not understand that there are literally MILLIONS of Christian Americans and that if everyone is as bad as you perceived them to be that this country would be in a much, MUCH darker place than it seems to be these days?

I haven't said anything about ALL Christians except the obvious, that Christianity enjoys certain priveleges because it is the predominant religion in America.

I don't assume that Christians set the burning cross on the lawn. You do.

Last edited:

sky dancer

Most Hindus disowned Rajneesh, and I'm not sure if he even called himself a Hindu. an extremely unorthodox one, if he was one at all. but I understand the point.
The point is we know TONS about Christians and little to nothing about Buddhism or Hinduism or who Rajneesh was. I'm thinking about this Christian fellow I talked to recently that wanted to know why Buddhists have an 'eye for an eye' philosophy. We don't. He confused Islam with Buddhism because both are 'eastern' religions.

sky dancer

Ah! So it was the Muslims that put the burning cross on the lawn to make Christians look bad. I'm glad we cleared that up.

Huh? There were no Muslims in the area. The concept of privelege for a dominant group in society is very challenging for the dominant group to accept.

1. It is likely that state and federal holidays coincide with my religious practices, thereby having little to no impact on my job and/or education.

2. I can talk openly about my religious practices without concern for how it will be received by others.

3. I can be sure to hear music on the radio and watch specials on television that celebrate the holidays of my religion.

4. When told about the history of civilization, I am can be sure that I am shown people of my religion made it what it is.

5. I can worry about religious privilege without being perceived as “self-interested” or “self-seeking.”

6. I can have a “Jesus is Lord” bumper sticker or Icthus (Christian Fish) on my car and not worry about someone vandalizing my car because of it.

7. I can share my holiday greetings without being fully conscious of how it may impact those who do not celebrate the same holidays. Also, I can be sure that people are knowledgeable about the holidays of my religion and will greet me with the appropriate holiday greeting (e.g., Merry Christmas, Happy Easter, etc.).

8. I can probably assume that there is a universality of religious experience.

9. I can deny Christian Privilege by asserting that all religions are essentially the same.

10. I probably do not need to learn the religious or spiritual customs of others, and I am likely not penalized for not knowing them.

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
The point is we know TONS about Christians and little to nothing about Buddhism or Hinduism or who Rajneesh was. I'm thinking about this Christian fellow I talked to recently that wanted to know why Buddhists have an 'eye for an eye' philosophy. We don't. He confused Islam with Buddhism because both are 'eastern' religions.

Or the congressman when introduced to a Hindu, asked: Are you sunni or shia? Good thing we have forums like this where some people might read something.

To the cross: Only other possibility (I can think of) besides radical fundamentalists is teenage pranksters. There is something really odd about 14 year old dares.

sky dancer

Or the congressman when introduced to a Hindu, asked: Are you sunni or shia? Good thing we have forums like this where some people might read something.

To the cross: Only other possibility (I can think of) besides radical fundamentalists is teenage pranksters. There is something really odd about 14 year old dares.
It was KKK.

I'm glad you're posting here. As a adherent to another misunderstood, 'eastern' religion. It makes me feel less alone.

Last edited:

sky dancer

So real quick, and I apologize if you feel like I'm harping on you, I don't mean to. But let me get this straight, first you insinuate that the cross burning was done by radical Christians, when I accepted that insinuation you call me out on being presumptuous, and now you admit that the act was indeed committed by radical Christians. Am I getting this right?
No. I never insinuated the burning cross was an act committed by Christians. I'm merely showing the ignorance that most people in America have about 'eastern' religions. They cannot tell them apart because they aren't interested enough to find out who and what we are.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Apparently it continues: Cross burning shocks small Oregon town | Seattle News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KOMO News | Local & Regional

Weird.

As for being a minority within a majority, its happened time and time again.

Can I get a day off for Sivaratri? Nope.
How about Thai pusam then? Nope.
Deepavali, even though I don't celebrate it? Nope.
Can I find a mall with no Christmas carols? Nope.

Can I find solace within? yep.
Can I find others like me? Yep.

But as a white Hindu, I get the minority within a minority thing too. Fun times are had by all. :)

Kathryn

Can I get a day off for Sivaratri? Nope.
How about Thai pusam then? Nope.
Deepavali, even though I don't celebrate it? Nope.

Depends on where you work. You can take a sick day or vacation day most likely. Here in the United States, discrimination based on religion is against the law and your employment rights are protected.

If I was a Christian working in, say, India, I probably wouldn't get Christmas day off with pay either, unless I used a vacation day or sick day. So what?

Can I find a mall with no Christmas carols? Nope.

Does this bother you? If so, why?

sky dancer

You don't get it about privelege. It's ok. It's hard to see privelege when you're part of the priveleged group.

"What is the danger of religious privilege? The Ryan Report (May 20, 2009) on child abuse by Catholic institutions in Ireland is another first-class example. According to the Ryan Report, because of the power and prestige of the Catholic Church in Ireland, whenever child abuse was reported to Catholic authorities, it was covered up, from the public and the law. In fact, in many cases, when people brought abuses to the attention of police, the police considered it a church matter and passed the allegations on to church authorities as opposed to investigating themselves. The national Department of Education was also condemned in the report for abdicating its responsibilities to the children involved, which it did in deference to the church.

These cover-ups, which have happened repeatedly in our country as well, occurred because the churches are seen as more important than people. Clearly, when the religious dogma is considered sacrosanct, morality gets twisted to serve the dogma. The individual abused child becomes “collateral damage,” a regrettable, but secondary concern. The reputation and survival of the religion always come first.

The clear and present danger here is that if we cannot pull religion down off its pedestal of privilege and challenge the churches publicly to prove the worth and “truth” of their dogmas, then we the people will continue to suffer the consequences – especially the children, who are nearly always powerless to reject, or even question, the religion of their parents."
http://new.exchristian.net/2010/04/danger-of-religious-privilege.html

Last edited:

Kathryn

You don't get it about privelege.

I get it - I just don't see what's wrong with it. We all have certain privileges and certain limitations. Privilege in and of itself isn't a bad thing. ABUSE of a privilege IS a bad thing.

Haven't you ever heard the phrase "When in Rome, do as the Romans?" That doesn't mean that you embrace Roman gods - it just means that you tolerate and accept the fact that you are a minority and that you will be surrounded by the culture of the majority. You should respect that culture, or you are just as guilty of intolerance as you claim others to be.

I'm not Mexican. But when I visit San Antonio, I am surrounded by Mexican culture - right here in the United States! OMG - Spanish speaking radio stations, signs in Spanish, Catholic saints and the Virgin of Guadelupe all over the place!!! In some areas of San Antonio, you'd think you were in Mexico!

So what? It's a great place to visit, and if I decided to move there, I'd need to understand that I am a minority, and I'd need to respect the culture of that area.

Last edited:

sky dancer

I just posted something that discusses what's wrong with religious privelege. Sounds like you think people in a minority should 'know their place'.

Christian Privilege and Public Schools:
There are many ways in which Christians have fought for Christian privilege in schools: organized prayers, using schools as permanent churches, Christian-specific prayers and speeches at graduations, holding graduations at churches, etc. It is argued that the religious preferences of the majority count for more than the religious equality of the minority. Non-Christians are told that they must be “tolerant” of Christians using the state to further their own religious interests.
Christian Privilege and Politics:
The most visible example of attempts to assert Christian privilege in the political realm may be the efforts to insert sectarian prayers into political events, like town council or school board meetings. Rather than stick with generic prayers or even permit prayers from multiple religions, Christians insist that Christian-specific prayers are both appropriate and preferable. If the majority is Christian, then their religious beliefs should be accorded a privileged status by government bodies.
http://atheism.about.com/od/christianismnationalism/p/ChristianPriv.htm

Last edited:

Kathryn

Don't put words in my mouth. I believe in practicing religious tolerance - and it goes both ways, whether I am a minority group or a member of the majority.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Depends on where you work. You can take a sick day or vacation day most likely. Here in the United States, discrimination based on religion is against the law and your employment rights are protected.

If I was a Christian working in, say, India, I probably wouldn't get Christmas day off with pay either, unless I used a vacation day or sick day. So what?

Does this bother you? If so, why?

Its a minor annoyance. I accept the position of being in a minority. it is what it is. But I don't think anyone who's never been there can fully understand anything. Have you been to India? Have you been a minority? Have you been a black man?

Kathryn

Its a minor annoyance. I accept the position of being in a minority. it is what it is. But I don't think anyone who's never been there can fully understand anything. Have you been to India? Have you been a minority? Have you been a black man?

Yes, I have been a minority. I've lived in Japan, I've lived in Germany, I'm a woman in an industry which is dominated by men in positions of management, and no, I'm not a black man, but I've been married to one.

So yes, I have a pretty good idea of what it feels like to be a minority.