• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

i could use a little advice...

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
damnit! now i have to spend my whole evening making a stencil. haha.

i understand the cries to ignore it, and that's probably the best course of action. my town is just simply flooded with these images that to me scream complete dispair and it bothers me that kids are going to be reading them, and drunks are going to be reading them, and people grieving are going to be reading them and it could be the last straw that leads them to go check out a church and then get involved with something that will ultimately give them a deficit of hope, rather than what they expected.
Then again, maybe a good dose of deep spirituality is just what they need...

crocusj

i live in a relatively rural suburbia of atlanta and it's not too uncommon to see "john 3:16" signs and "jesus is lord" signs off to the side of the road. often times they give me something to giggle about, and sometimes it just gives me something to be upset about besides atlanta traffic (which is rather frustrating).

leaving my neighborhood today i noticed that a brand new sign has appeared that says "Jesus is coming" in white on a blue 5x8 board and i feel that it's a little close to home (puns always intended). my knee jerk is to correct the problem under cloak of night in a drunken rampage, but that would probably result in another sign being put up and probably encouragment to the poster. so i figured i'd ask for advice from those of you i trust the most, my near-anonymous internet forum buddies. :D

what would you do in this situation, if anything at all?

We live in a cynical world. There was a time when a miracle was enough but we are now enlightened enough to question them, now Jesus has to advertise. If you are rich and care enough you can have a billboard argument all along the roadside. Alternatively, you can just not give a ******. I'd go with the latter.

gnomon

i live in a relatively rural suburbia of atlanta and it's not too uncommon to see "john 3:16" signs and "jesus is lord" signs off to the side of the road. often times they give me something to giggle about, and sometimes it just gives me something to be upset about besides atlanta traffic (which is rather frustrating).

leaving my neighborhood today i noticed that a brand new sign has appeared that says "Jesus is coming" in white on a blue 5x8 board and i feel that it's a little close to home (puns always intended). my knee jerk is to correct the problem under cloak of night in a drunken rampage, but that would probably result in another sign being put up and probably encouragment to the poster. so i figured i'd ask for advice from those of you i trust the most, my near-anonymous internet forum buddies. :D

I wouldn't sweat it. It's suburbia Georgia which means even if that sign disappeared there will be another right around the corner. I used to live in Smyrna on Church St. which was aptly named for the four churches inhabiting a one mile stretch of road with the most strategically placed Huddle House. These things are all over the metro area but not so bad for the most part.

I would tell you to move on over to Cumming............HA! Like anyone can afford that.

sky dancer

Notice how annoying it is and investigate why it's annoying. You may get some insight.

sky dancer

Chill out. Lots of advertising is offensive to lots of people - but it's called free speech. Would you rather live in a country where these types of signs were outlawed?

Think about it.
If it was a Buddhist or Muslim sign it wouldn't last two seconds. Thank about that.

sky dancer

Buddhists most likely wouldn't make a sign. Muslims, yes. I hope no one draws any parallels between Buddhism and Islam here.
Buddhists wouldn't make a sign. Consider that and the fact that the Center in Oregon got a white cross on their lawn anyway.

sky dancer

Depends on where you are in America. It's a big country and our culture is far from homogenous in attitudes in general, let alone about attitudes towards religion.

See previous statement. Just because it's raining where you live, doesn't mean it's raining where I live.
My point is that if you're Christian, the dominant religion in America, you have a privelege that some religions don't have.

sky dancer

It's criminal act that some people get away with and others don't. Some forms of 'free speech' are more supported than others. Christians have more power in America than any other religion.

Last edited:

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
My point is that if you're Christian, the dominant religion in America, you have a privelege that some religions don't have.

Freedom of speech is protected by the law of the United States, regardless of religious orientation.

When I lived in Japan, where the Shinto religion is predominate, it didn't bother me to see lots of public display of the religion of the majority.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Buddhists wouldn't make a sign. Consider that and the fact that the Center in Oregon got a white cross on their lawn anyway.

Not surprising. But for those sitting on some fence philosophically, where would they start leaning to? For the white cross guys, its too simlpe... way too simple. "Them, and us" so from that POV, Buddhist = Islam = Jew = any other Christianity not my version, etc. Here in Canada the hate crimes guys would have been all over it. What happened there?

sky dancer

Not surprising. But for those sitting on some fence philosophically, where would they start leaning to? For the white cross guys, its too simlpe... way too simple. "Them, and us" so from that POV, Buddhist = Islam = Jew = any other Christianity not my version, etc. Here in Canada the hate crimes guys would have been all over it. What happened there?
What happened in Oregon, is that the bigots couldn't tell the difference between Tibetan Buddhists and Rajneesh Puram hindus.

The cross on the lawn of the Buddhist Center was intended to protest the Rajneeshees.

There's quite a lot of ignorance about Buddhism. Some people see anything 'eastern' as the same, and can't tell a Muslim, a Buddhist, a Jain, a Hindu or a Ba'hai apart.

sky dancer

Freedom of speech is protected by the law of the United States, regardless of religious orientation.

When I lived in Japan, where the Shinto religion is predominate, it didn't bother me to see lots of public display of the religion of the majority.
How many burning white crosses did you see there?