• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

i could use a little advice...

sky dancer

Don't put words in my mouth. I believe in practicing religious tolerance - and it goes both ways, whether I am a minority group or a member of the majority.
I hardly think asking a question for clarification counts as putting words in your mouth.

Do you think that people in minorities should 'know their place'?

Last edited:

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I hardly think asking a question for clarification counts as putting words in your mouth.

You are being disingenuous. You did not ask a question, you made an accusation. Two very different things.

Accusation:
I just posted something that discusses what's wrong with religious privelege. Sounds like you think people in a minority should 'know their place'.

Question:

Please clarify what you mean by minorities "knowing their place."

I think that all people, including minorities, should respect the beliefs and rights of others.

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
For the record, India is very complex with regard to holidays. Christmas day is observed nationally.

But as I said before, for me its a minor annoyance. You're free to believe whatever you believe, so if for someone it is a major annoyance, that's okay too.

sky dancer

You are being disingenuous. You did not ask a question, you made an accusation. Two very different things.

Please clarify what you mean by minorities "knowing their place."

I think that all people, including minorities, should respect the beliefs and rights of others.
Go back and read my post. I asked a question. I continue to ask questions. Are you saying that the minority should respect the majority just because they're predominant?

Kathryn

Go back and read my post. I asked a question. I continue to ask questions. Are you saying that the minority should respect the majority just because they're predominant?

I was clearly responding to your post #66. Here is your post in it's entirity:

I just posted something that discusses what's wrong with religious privelege. Sounds like you think people in a minority should 'know their place'.

Christian Privilege and Public Schools:
There are many ways in which Christians have fought for Christian privilege in schools: organized prayers, using schools as permanent churches, Christian-specific prayers and speeches at graduations, holding graduations at churches, etc. It is argued that the religious preferences of the majority count for more than the religious equality of the minority. Non-Christians are told that they must be “tolerant” of Christians using the state to further their own religious interests.
Christian Privilege and Politics:
The most visible example of attempts to assert Christian privilege in the political realm may be the efforts to insert sectarian prayers into political events, like town council or school board meetings. Rather than stick with generic prayers or even permit prayers from multiple religions, Christians insist that Christian-specific prayers are both appropriate and preferable. If the majority is Christian, then their religious beliefs should be accorded a privileged status by government bodies.
[URL="http://atheism.about.com/od/christia...istianPriv.htm"]http://atheism.about.com/od/christia...istianPriv.htm[/URL]

Now - I must have missed it - where is your question? I mean, I see the accusation, but no question...

Play fair or I'm outta here.

Greyn

South of Providence
On private property? Leave it alone and keep driving. The First Amendment is a *****, sometimes.

Kathryn

But - to show you what a nice person I am, in spite of my privileges, I'll answer your question (again):

Are you saying that the minority should respect the majority just because they're predominant?

No. I am saying that all people, whether they are the majority or a minority, should respect each other's beliefs. And I am saying that when we are a member of a minority, we should not be offended when the majority celebrates or practices their beliefs.

When I lived in Clemson, South Carolina, I was not a Clemson Tigers fan. I was a Georgia Bulldogs fan. Was I offended when the whole town went crazy when the two teams played each other and 98% of the population was rooting for the Tigers?

Uhhh, no. It's to be expected. Why would I be a sourpuss about it, or go around griping or picking fights? Let them have their fun.

Kathryn

Christianity, has become normalized, equated to true Americanism, to the detriment of democracy itself, and also to the disadvantage of minorities that democracy is supposed to protect. Those practicing minority religions or no religion at all are treated, at best, as exotic, a curiosity, often forced to explain themselves and justify their viewpoints to a disbelieving audience.

Your opinions, paraded as fact.

Do I sense a bit of a victim mentality here?

sky dancer

I appreciate that you practice religious tolerance, kathryn. Calling someone in a minority a 'victim', when we point out the privelege a dominant group has, isn't playing fair, IMO. What is a 'liturgical christian'?

Last edited:

sky dancer

When you indicate you understand 'privilege', I will feel we've come a long way.

http://convention.myacpa.org/archive/programs/Boston10/Handouts/446/ChristianPrivilegeHandout.pdf

Christian privilege is a non-conscious ideology analogous to the water fish swim in: fish don’t think of the water as wet because this environment is all they know — it structures their experience of life itself. Water simply is. Members of privileged groups don’t have to think about their environment because, for them, that environment simply is. They don’t have to be concerned about others’ opinions because it’s safe to assume that most think like them.

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Nice handout. I loved India because I could wear veshti all day, find vegetarian food easily, and WALK to a temple.

It was a nice break from wearing uncomfortable jeans, or worse a suit and tie (I actually never wore them, but in a different job I would have 'had' to.) I have to hunt for vegetarian places, especially so when travelling, and I have to drive a long ways to a temple. But hey, it's all still relatively minor here. At least I have a temple where i can wear veshti to and have vegetarian food. Can't imagine living in Egypt.

drsatish

[FONT=&quot]Jesus pointed in the right direction…[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]..inwards…[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]….The Kingdom Within…[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]ALL OTHER ROAD SIGNS….are misdirection…..away from what Jesus pointed to…..what Buddha pointed to….what Sufis pointed to….what Ramana Maharishi pointed to….[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Religions, majority, minority, privileges, abuse, intolerance etc are just ILLUSIONS!.....the Misdirection![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The Church has NOT UNDERSTOOD what Jesus meant by[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“Cleansing of the Temple”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The narrative of Jesus and the Money Changers, commonly referred to as the Cleansing of the Temple, occurs in all four Canonical gospels of the New Testament.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]In this episode Jesus and his disciples travel to Jerusalem for Passover, where he expels the money changers from the Temple, accusing them of turning the Temple to a den of thieves through their commercial activities[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Cleansing of the Temple - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]If it did, it wouldn’t EXIST![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Reorient your GPS & Gyroscope,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Satish[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
[FONT=&quot]Jesus pointed in the right direction…[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]..inwards…[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]….The Kingdom Within…[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]ALL OTHER ROAD SIGNS….are misdirection…..away from what Jesus pointed to…..what Buddha pointed to….what Sufis pointed to….what Ramana Maharishi pointed to….[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Religions, majority, minority, privileges, abuse, intolerance etc are just ILLUSIONS!.....the Misdirection![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The Church has NOT UNDERSTOOD what Jesus meant by[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“Cleansing of the Temple”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The narrative of Jesus and the Money Changers, commonly referred to as the Cleansing of the Temple, occurs in all four Canonical gospels of the New Testament.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]In this episode Jesus and his disciples travel to Jerusalem for Passover, where he expels the money changers from the Temple, accusing them of turning the Temple to a den of thieves through their commercial activities[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Cleansing of the Temple - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]If it did, it wouldn’t EXIST![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Reorient your GPS & Gyroscope,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Satish[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
:) You absolutely lost me, and that is a good thing.

sky dancer

Nice handout. I loved India because I could wear veshti all day, find vegetarian food easily, and WALK to a temple.

It was a nice break from wearing uncomfortable jeans, or worse a suit and tie (I actually never wore them, but in a different job I would have 'had' to.) I have to hunt for vegetarian places, especially so when travelling, and I have to drive a long ways to a temple. But hey, it's all still relatively minor here. At least I have a temple where i can wear veshti to and have vegetarian food. Can't imagine living in Egypt.
I loved India too.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Fffft. I'd be insulted if I saw that. Everyone knows that Odin is the greater God!

Ignorance is the result when people choose to ignore religion. My grandaughter thought Thor was the top god because she was confusing him with Zeus who is the top god in Greek Mythology. In Norse mythology Odin is the top god.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I appreciate that you practice religious tolerance, kathryn. Calling someone in a minority a 'victim', when we point out the privelege a dominant group has, isn't playing fair, IMO. What is a 'liturgical christian'?

I am sure Kathryn can answe better what a liturgical Christian is but here is my understnding. A liturgical Christian is one who believes in following liturgy, which is a pre-determined order of worship.

For instance I attend a Friends Meeting (Quaker). There is very little liturgy. Fifteen minutes are spent on hymn singing which because of its Christian nature, Pagans and our Zen Buddhist choose to skip. Then there is one hour of meditation in which people can speak if the Spirit of God moves them (and sometimes if they just feel like it). Then there are introductions where a person can say his own views if he wishes.

Muffled

Jesus in me
damnit! now i have to spend my whole evening making a stencil. haha.

i understand the cries to ignore it, and that's probably the best course of action. my town is just simply flooded with these images that to me scream complete dispair and it bothers me that kids are going to be reading them, and drunks are going to be reading them, and people grieving are going to be reading them and it could be the last straw that leads them to go check out a church and then get involved with something that will ultimately give them a deficit of hope, rather than what they expected.

It appears that your thinking is really perverse if it sees a meesage of hope as a message of despair. Does that mean you love evil and see good as the absolute enemy? When someone saves someone from drowning do you become hateful towards them because they stopped a perfectly good death? What is your problem?