• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If Christ wasn't the messiah, what was he?

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
I don't believe that. Why would I? The argument for resurrection is that some people say that some other people saw Jesus when he was supposedly dead, and that when a rock was rolled away, there was no body to be seen. There would need to be a suspension f the laws of nature to revivify a body three days dead, and there's no reason to believe that can or has been done.
Well, it's a long post you write and many points were taken. The parts of the Bible about Jesus and his resurrection were written by believers in Jesus, not by non-believers in his death and resurrection as recorded. That's one thing.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Well, it's a long post you write and many points were taken. The parts of the Bible about Jesus and his resurrection were written by believers in Jesus, not by non-believers in his death and resurrection as recorded. That's one thing.
So if believers in Trump wrote that he won the 2020 election would it be reasonable to believe that?

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Why to anglicise from Greek, when (Jesus)Yeshua was an Israelite and was sent, I get it, as Messiah to the Israelites only, right, please??!

Regards
Well first, because most people in the Roman empire didn't speak Hebrew, or Aramaic (which was actually the language that Jesus would have grown up with.) They usually spoke Latin or Greek. This is why the authors of the New Testament chose to write exclusively in Greek.

The Aramaic name Yeshua would have been awkward for Greek speakers to pronounce, so they adjusted it to a "Greekier" Ἰησοῦς, which if you use the English alphabet would be Iēsous.

When the language of the church in the west switched to Latin, it became Iesus.

When it was adopted into Middle English, it became Ihesu, and evolved into Modern English as Jesus (the J sound was a very late addition to the language).

Every language has certain sound patters and syllable accents that its speakers are most comfortable with. Thus every time a foreign word is adopted to a new country with a new language, the word alters. It's all about comfort.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
So if believers in Trump wrote that he won the 2020 election would it be reasonable to believe that?
It's not simply about believing what someone wrote, it's a gut feeling about its worthiness. You must admit, that treating others as you want to be treated, forgiving others for treating you badly as you yourself would like to be forgiven for treating others badly (not that I think you may have ever treated anyone badly), etc., are inspiring attributes that any reasonable person may like to aspire to, regardless of who was the originator.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
It's My Birthday!
You must admit, that treating others as you want to be treated, forgiving others for treating you badly as you yourself would like to be forgiven for treating others badly (not that I think you may have ever treated anyone badly), etc., are inspiring attributes that any reasonable person may like to aspire to, regardless of who was the originator.
But these stories were added later.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

If Christ wasn't the messiah, what was he?

The New Testament was written in Greek, and thus in the translation to English, Kristos was anglicized.

Was the New Testament Written in Hebrew, Aramaic, or Greek?

The New Testament was originally written in Greek. This claim is not particularly controversial among biblical scholars, though some have argued that parts of the New Testament were originally written in Hebrew or Aramaic.

Some popular writers and religious groups, however, have claimed that much or all of the New Testament was originally written in Hebrew or Aramaic. In this article, we will survey the evidence and arguments that lead the vast majority of scholars today to believe that the original language of the New Testament was Greek.

Cont...
One is just, I get it, "catching at a straw"; neither (Jesus)Yeshua, nor Mary the mother nor the twelve knew Greek, so they needed not to compile anything in Greek and needed not to use any terminology in Greek, please, right?

Regards

ChieftheCef

It's not simply about believing what someone wrote, it's a gut feeling about its worthiness. You must admit, that treating others as you want to be treated, forgiving others for treating you badly as you yourself would like to be forgiven for treating others badly (not that I think you may have ever treated anyone badly), etc., are inspiring attributes that any reasonable person may like to aspire to, regardless of who was the originator.
You must admit someone who tells you to tear your eyes out if you see it must be taking the rules to not only a hilarious extreme, but an evil extreme.
  • Matthew 5:28
    "But I say to you that whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart".
  • Matthew 5:29
    "If your right eye causes you to sin, pluck it out and cast it from you; for it is more profitable for you that one of your members perish, than for your whole body to be cast into hell".

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
When the evidence screams "You are wrong" you should be listening to that, not to your gut.

YoursTrue

He was a nice Jewish man, a fellow Jew like me. I think of him kind of as brother J. But messiah? prophet? messenger? God? Nope, nope, nope, and nope.
That's kind of like what my mother-in-law told me. A nice guy who got in trouble because of his teachings.
I'm happy to say I learned the real reason he was put to death. I also learned that Jesus is not God equal to his Father and another godperson said to be among three equal godpersons. But that takes time and study to recognize these things, if one wants to.

YoursTrue

You must admit someone who tells you to tear your eyes out if you see it must be taking the rules to not only a hilarious extreme, but an evil extreme.
    "But I say to you that whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart".
    "If your right eye causes you to sin, pluck it out and cast it from you; for it is more profitable for you that one of your members perish, than for your whole body to be cast into hell".
Some things cannot/should not be taken literally. By normal persons, that is.

YoursTrue

Excellent point! Think about it.
I was being specific about gouging one's eye out. (Just in case you didn't understand what I meant, but that's ok, a pleasure to correct you from time to time.) But I'm glad you understand that not everything in the Bible is to be understood literally. :) Excellent! Take care.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I was being specific about gouging one's eye out. (Just in case you didn't understand what I meant, but that's ok, a pleasure to correct you from time to time.) But I'm glad you understand that not everything in the Bible is to be understood literally. :) Excellent! Take care.
I understand what you meant, but you really do need to think about it. Just as Jesus was not being literal why do you think that verses that make God a liar are literal? If God is not a liar the myths of Genesis cannot be read literally. The standards are not that much different.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
What Is a Metaphor? | Definition & Examples.