• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If Evolution Were True

J Bryson

fantôme profane;1452177 said:
I would be happy to answer that question if you could convince me that you are willing to learn.

Do you want me to answer that question, or do you want my recipe for guacamole?

I'd like it, if you don't mind. But fair warning: I'm from San Diego. My standards are high.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Why do primitive forms of life not evolve into higher forms of life constantly through-out history?

Example: Evolutionary mechanism for eukaryote cells is that two prokaryotic cells symbiotically combined to form a single cell that had a nuclei and a mitochondria. This theoretically occurred 2.1-1.6 Billion years ago. Eukaryote are the basic building blocks "evolutionary mechanism" of all life as we know it; animals, plants, fungi, protists etc...

So why is it we don't see animals whose ancestry goes back to a prokaryotic symbiosis that occurred just 1 billion years ago and are 1 billion years behind evolutionarily compared with some other critters who evolved from older eukaryote?

We simply don't see this...AT ALL.

Everything in evolution is linear except for grey areas that are difficult to define and constantly argued over.

If Evolution were true we should see less evolved organisms repeat similar evolutions over time...this is not observed in nature.

Evolution takes time and needs life to exist without interference. We have evolved so far that we interfer with the process and make changes to quickly to the enviroment. We actually may be evolving we do not know ourselves well enough to be sure we are or aren't.

Sententia

Why do primitive forms of life not evolve into higher forms of life constantly through-out history?

Example: Evolutionary mechanism for eukaryote cells is that two prokaryotic cells symbiotically combined to form a single cell that had a nuclei and a mitochondria. This theoretically occurred 2.1-1.6 Billion years ago. Eukaryote are the basic building blocks "evolutionary mechanism" of all life as we know it; animals, plants, fungi, protists etc...

So why is it we don't see animals whose ancestry goes back to a prokaryotic symbiosis that occurred just 1 billion years ago and are 1 billion years behind evolutionarily compared with some other critters who evolved from older eukaryote?

We simply don't see this...AT ALL.

Everything in evolution is linear except for grey areas that are difficult to define and constantly argued over.

If Evolution were true we should see less evolved organisms repeat similar evolutions over time...this is not observed in nature.

Essentially you are implying that evolution is not true because you dont know what the theory is, have never studied it but are convinced that its simply not true.

Like most people who are religious have never read the bible save for a few scriptures here and there.

How is this a debate? You want to learn about evolution and why its accepted as fact then go to school or use google. The very idea that there is some doubt that evolution and natural selection is possibly not the way you exist now is preposterous.

RemnanteK

Seeking More Truth
I'm going to add a little spice here I hope, for the hope that is brings a little more to the table of conversation.

I'm a Christian, so I do believe that God did create the heavens and the earth in 6 days and rested the 7th.
That being said, do we know how much time passed from Gods creating Adam and Eve, till the point where they encounter the serpent and sinned?
I some times wonder if in that time evolution of some kind could have happened?

This question I pose still has no answer to the point of this thread, but it does bring an option to ponder.
But I still believe in creation, and also the ability to overcome and adapt to the changes around us.

Last edited:

Sententia

I'm going to add a little spice here I hope, for the hope that is brings a little more to the table of conversation.

I'm a Christian, so I do believe that God did create the heavens and the earth in 6 days and rested the 7th.
That being said, do we know how much time passed from Gods creating Adam and Eve, till the point where then encounter the serpent and sinned?
I some times wonder if in that time evolution on some kind could have happened?
This question I pose still has no answer to the point of this thread, but it does bring an option to ponder.
But this in no way make me think that everything was still created.

I like fairy tales just as much as the next person, ;), But some kind of evolution?

What is some kind of evolution? In your study of the existing theory what conclusions have you come to that would lead you to believe that evolution as stated did not happen but provoked you to come up with a new "some kind" of evolutionary theory? How does the "some kind" of evolution theory differ from the accepted theory and what evidence do you have so far to support it?

linwood

Proto-soup amino acids evolved into prokaryotes which evolved into eukaryotes the prokaryotes are "bacteria" and some other things and the eurkaryotes evolved into everything else imaginable (practically).

From these basic supposed "facts" we can argue some things that don't make sense.

Please post a reference to support that the process described in the quote above is a part of modern evolution theory.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
fantôme profane;1452177 said:
I would be happy to answer that question if you could convince me that you are willing to learn.

Do you want me to answer that question, or do you want my recipe for guacamole?
I hate quacamole. I'm always willing to learn.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
Post # 21, for example.
Obviously you missed post #26

Anyway, as I said, I am happy to explain ToE to you, and you don't even have to invest as much time as I do. All I ask is that you stick around, read my posts and respond. O.K.? For starters, would you answer these questions, which you've already rudely ignored? Thanks.
Yes to all.

Did you try the chili yet?
Not yet. My daughter hates chili so I have to pick a time when she's visiting friends.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
I'm always willing to learn.
This is apparently not true. I asked you if you would be willing to read a book on the subject, you said no. I asked you if you were willing to put some effort into understanding the subject, you started babbling pathetically about chili and Lakers tickets.

I’m sorry, but you are not getting anymore of my time unless you actually convince me that you are willing to learn. What are you willing to do?

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
fantôme profane;1453037 said:
This is apparently not true. I asked you if you would be willing to read a book on the subject, you said no. I asked you if you were willing to put some effort into understanding the subject, you started babbling pathetically about chili and Lakers tickets.

I’m sorry, but you are not getting anymore of my time unless you actually convince me that you are willing to learn. What are you willing to do?
I already understand the ToE. And my pathetic babbling is getting you to respond. How pathetic is that? See, I'm learning something.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
I already understand the ToE.
So you do not think there is anything for you to learn. That is all I am trying to establish. I don’t want Autodidact or anyone else to waste their time with you unless you are willing to learn. And that must mean that you are open to the possibility that you have something to learn.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
fantôme profane;1453053 said:
So you do not think there is anything for you to learn. That is all I am trying to establish. I don’t want Autodidact or anyone else to waste their time with you unless you are willing to learn. And that must mean that you are open to the possibility that you have something to learn.
This is getting more amusing all the time. What is it you wish to teach me about the ToE?

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank

And yet millions of Christians do NOT believe this, so maybe the connection is not as obvious as you think. After all, if being a Christian requires you to disregard all of modern science, you've got a problem, don't you think?
That being said, do we know how much time passed from Gods creating Adam and Eve, till the point where then encounter the serpent and sinned?
Or...how much time between the time that Uranus and Gaia fell in love and Zeus was born? Scientific minds want to know.
I some times wonder if in that time evolution on some kind could have happened?
Have you ever taken a Biology class? Do you think that science could shed any light on these issues?
But this in no way make me think that everything was still created.
The fact that the Theory of Evolution (ToE) is true does NOT imply that everything was not created. You seem extremely confused about what ToE is.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
What is it you wish to teach me about the ToE?
What if anything do you wish to learn? If you don’t wish to learn anything then I have no desire to teach you anything. I didn’t start this by expressing my desire to teach you anything. You started this by expressing your desire to learn. I am just questioning the sincerity of that desire. I think you have been quite clear that it is not a sincere desire to learn. That is fine. Your decision. Whatever.

If you on the other hand do have a sincere desire to learn, let me know. But you have to convince me. What do you wish to learn?

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
I already understand the ToE. And my pathetic babbling is getting you to respond. How pathetic is that? See, I'm learning something.

I'm not sure if you do or not. Would you please answer the questions that I've asked you, and asked you to answer?

(Why is it that I so often have to teach Christians basic courtesy?)

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
What I don't know.
How would I know what you don’t know? We could explore that question together if you were sincerely interested.

Explain to me in a couple paragraphs what you understand of the theory of evolution. What is the mechanism? What does it explain? What are some of the basic evidences in favour of the theory? If you did this it would be a good start.

But you see that this would require a little bit of effort on your part, which is why I would be surprised if you did it. I don’t care if you do it or not. Frankly at this point I hope you don’t. I am admittedly quite lazy, and if you did it I would have to put in the effort to respond in detail. But as lazy as I am I am willing to make a personal commitment to you. If you put in the effort I will to. I think that is fair.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
I'm not sure if you do or not. Would you please answer the questions that I've asked you, and asked you to answer?

(Why is it that I so often have to teach Christians basic courtesy?)
Try this, I answered yes to all of your questions. Why do I have to teach you to pay attention?