• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If god knew.....

strikeviperMKII

What I truly believe is that Jesus (if he truly existed) was most likely a cult leader who twisted Hebrew teachings to suit his needs. Until he stepped on enough toes to get himself killed.

Okay, then are you here to make everyone else believe that? Why do you say he 'twisted' Hebrew teachings? Your use of 'cult leader' also implies something, and I'd like to know what. And what 'needs' are you referring to?

ninerbuff

godless wonder
Okay, then are you here to make everyone else believe that? Why do you say he 'twisted' Hebrew teachings? Your use of 'cult leader' also implies something, and I'd like to know what. And what 'needs' are you referring to?
The pope is a cult leader. I say that as a former catholic.

By cult leader I mean that he gathered gullible people he could brainwash into being his obedient unquestioning lackeys to serve his whims. Your typical crackpot cult leader.

mestimia : "Justice?
Payment for what crime?
Says who?
Redemption and salvation from what??

payment for the crime is justice: the crime is sin

"Says who?"
God

Redemption and salvation from what?? the punishment of damnation.

strikeviperMKII

What do cult leaders usually lust after? Sex, wealth and influence.

Okay...
Sex...well, I'm not sure, but it is entirely possible for Jesus.
Wealth. That's pretty easy, seeing as Jesus had none. So that's a negative.
Influence. Jesus had influence, I don't disagree there. Whether he wanted that influence...I suppose it doesn't matter. What did he do with it? Gain wealth? No. Get into a position of power? No. So what then?

Okay...
Sex...well, I'm not sure, but it is entirely possible for Jesus.
Wealth. That's pretty easy, seeing as Jesus had none. So that's a negative.
Influence. Jesus had influence, I don't disagree there. Whether he wanted that influence...I suppose it doesn't matter. What did he do with it? Gain wealth? No. Get into a position of power? No. So what then?

It was what, 200 years between Jesus's death and when the roman catholic church was founded? The only ones passing on information about Jesus would be his followers so their only going to paint a rosy picture of him for others to see. More than likely Jesus was the charismatic leader of a small group who was executed before he could make any serious trouble for local authorities. I do not think accounts of his life found in the bible are accurate. Just stories the church thought would awe and convert people. The more people the church had the more wealth and influence they had.

strikeviperMKII

It was what, 200 years between Jesus's death and when the roman catholic church was founded? The only ones passing on information about Jesus would be his followers so their only going to paint a rosy picture of him for others to see. More than likely Jesus was the charismatic leader of a small group who was executed before he could make any serious trouble for local authorities. I do not think accounts of his life found in the bible are accurate. Just stories the church thought would awe and convert people. The more people the church had the more wealth and influence they had.

You've proven that the church used Jesus for its own gains, which is not uncommon...pretty much every group with any sense picks a figurehead.
And I don't believe that the accounts in the Bible are accurate either. But inaccurate doesn't mean invaluable. Myth doesn't either.

You've proven that the church used Jesus for its own gains, which is not uncommon...pretty much every group with any sense picks a figurehead.
And I don't believe that the accounts in the Bible are accurate either. But inaccurate doesn't mean invaluable. Myth doesn't either.

I think time would be better spent reading a modern law book, science text or medical journal then ancient religous texts, IMO.