• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If Jesus Died...

PearlSeeker

1 John 2:2

For all of Man's sins, aren't we all then redeemed?
The payment made in full. Nothing else is being asked of us.

To say God asks anything else from us, isn't this denying the payment Jesus already made?
There is no benefit if someone forgives/doesn't forgive me and does/doesn't punish me if I remain the same.

And why would God after forgiving us need our confirmation of His forgiveness to make it real?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
There is no benefit if someone forgives/doesn't forgive me and does/doesn't punish me if I remain the same.

What punishment?
There is a threat of punishment.
My wife threaten to punish the kids if they didn't behave, but they soon learned there was no follow up.
A threat without a tangible consequence doesn't usually work.
And why would God after forgiving us need our confirmation of His forgiveness to make it real?

I suspect it would be more about humans setting up exclusive access to God. Basically acknowledging the need to follow the rules laid out by Christian doctrine to be saved.

Five Solas

Indeed it is.

"do scholars agree that Jesus was crucified?"

The only two events subject to "almost universal assent" are that Jesus was baptized by John the Baptist and was crucified by order of the Roman Prefect Pontius Pilate. According to New Testament scholar James Dunn, nearly all modern scholars consider the baptism of Jesus and his crucifixion to be historically certain.

Historicity of Jesus - Wikipedia
Interesting to know. However, literary criticism is an important and necessary discipline but scholars are not the judges of biblical truth or accuracy. Even in scholarship, the big red line remains faith.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Correct. My faith does not create truth/history. That is, however, not what I claim. I believe it is objectively true.
I am a Christian, you know. We believe these things because the proof is overwhelming.
hardly overwhelming to none though, me-understands, please. Right?
Is one finished with reasonable arguments, please? If not, I am here to serve and respond, please. Right?

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
1 John 2:2

For all of Man's sins, aren't we all then redeemed?
The payment made in full. Nothing else is being asked of us.

To say God asks anything else from us, isn't this denying the payment Jesus already made?
It is a wrong concept of John, I gather.
I have checked 1 John 2:2 is neither written by Jesus nor authored by Jesus nor spoken by Jesus nor shown to Jesus for approval, as all the verses in the KJV Red Letter Bible* of Protestantism people and of Douay-Rheims** Red Letter Bible ( of the Catholicism people) have been colored in Red. The above quote of 1 John 2:2 is not colored in red in both of them , one may verify it if I am wrong, please. Right?
No such concept has been given by Jesus himself, I understand, please. Right?
If yes, then kindly quote from Jesus, please. Right?

Regards

New Testament
(Red Letter Edition)
King James Version
The New Testament
of our Lord and Saviour
Jesus Christ
Translated out of the original Greek, and with the former translations diligently compared and revised,
with all the words recorded therein as having been spoken by our Lord printed in Red.

Holy Bible King James Version (Red Letter Edition)
jdsbible1_covs.jpg

**THE HOLY BIBLE:
THE DOUAY-RHEIMS TRANSLATION

bible01.gif

The first English Version
used by the Roman Catholic Church
since A.D. 1582.(* With the words of Jesus in red.)
The First Epistle of St. John

Five Solas

It is a wrong concept of John, I gather.
I have checked 1 John 2:2 is neither written by Jesus nor authored by Jesus nor spoken by Jesus nor shown to Jesus for approval, as all the verses in the KJV Red Letter Bible* of Protestantism people and of Douay-Rheims** Red Letter Bible ( of the Catholicism people) have been colored in Red. The above quote of 1 John 2:2 is not colored in red in both of them , one may verify it if I am wrong, please. Right?
No such concept has been given by Jesus himself, I understand, please. Right?
If yes, then kindly quote from Jesus, please. Right?

Regards

New Testament
(Red Letter Edition)
King James Version
The New Testament
of our Lord and Saviour
Jesus Christ
Translated out of the original Greek, and with the former translations diligently compared and revised,
with all the words recorded therein as having been spoken by our Lord printed in Red.

Holy Bible King James Version (Red Letter Edition)
jdsbible1_covs.jpg

**THE HOLY BIBLE:
THE DOUAY-RHEIMS TRANSLATION

bible01.gif

The first English Version
used by the Roman Catholic Church
since A.D. 1582.(* With the words of Jesus in red.)
The First Epistle of St. John
What is your point?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Yes, and the Gospels are reliable documents informing us about Jesus's life, deeds and words whilst on earth. It documents his death and resurrection with great accuracy. How can we not believe?
Yes, the Gospels are how we come to know about the life, words and deeds of Jesus, but I also believe in Jesus because of what my religion teaches about Him, which corroborates what the Gospels say about His power, born of Almighty God, and the station of Jesus as Savior and Healer of all of humanity.

“Know thou that when the Son of Man yielded up His breath to God, the whole creation wept with a great weeping. By sacrificing Himself, however, a fresh capacity was infused into all created things. Its evidences, as witnessed in all the peoples of the earth, are now manifest before thee. The deepest wisdom which the sages have uttered, the profoundest learning which any mind hath unfolded, the arts which the ablest hands have produced, the influence exerted by the most potent of rulers, are but manifestations of the quickening power released by His transcendent, His all-pervasive, and resplendent Spirit.

We testify that when He came into the world, He shed the splendor of His glory upon all created things. Through Him the leper recovered from the leprosy of perversity and ignorance. Through Him, the unchaste and wayward were healed. Through His power, born of Almighty God, the eyes of the blind were opened, and the soul of the sinner sanctified.

Leprosy may be interpreted as any veil that interveneth between man and the recognition of the Lord, his God. Whoso alloweth himself to be shut out from Him is indeed a leper, who shall not be remembered in the Kingdom of God, the Mighty, the All-Praised. We bear witness that through the power of the Word of God every leper was cleansed, every sickness was healed, every human infirmity was banished. He it is Who purified the world. Blessed is the man who, with a face beaming with light, hath turned towards Him.”

Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, pp. 85-86

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
What is your point?
The point is well elaborated in the post, perhaps one did not read it intently:

"1 John 2:2 is neither written by Jesus nor authored by Jesus nor spoken by Jesus nor shown to Jesus for approval, as all the verses in the KJV Red Letter Bible* of Protestantism people and of Douay-Rheims** Red Letter Bible ( of the Catholicism people) have been colored in Red. The above quote of 1 John 2:2 is not colored in red in both of them"

Right?

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
paarsurrey said:
"1 John 2:2 is neither written by Jesus nor authored by Jesus nor spoken by Jesus nor shown to Jesus for approval
Meaning what?
It was penned years after His assertion.
I agree to ones reason that the Books/letters penned down after Jesus disappearance, must not be included in the Gospels. Is that one is saying please, if I have understood one correctly, please. Right?

Regards

Five Solas

paarsurrey said:
"1 John 2:2 is neither written by Jesus nor authored by Jesus nor spoken by Jesus nor shown to Jesus for approval

I agree to ones reason that the Books/letters penned down after Jesus disappearance, must not be included in the Gospels. Is that one is saying please, if I have understood one correctly, please. Right?

Regards

No, that is NOT what I implied.

You just love to lay words in other people's mouths, don't you? That is not honest.
You also like to force your views onto others.

Given fact:
None of the NT authors wrote with an awareness of a future 27-book canon nor did they understand their own role in creating it. They could not have foreseen the ’final product’.

But they wrote with authority. The NT authors show evidence that they understood their writings to contain authoritative apostolic tradition. The apostles were commissioned by Christ to speak for him and were empowered by the Holy Spirit. So, the NT writings have the authority of Christ himself. To the earliest Christians, the Gospels were “the word of God” and it had been regarded as that by the church since then.

Just one example: In Paul’s earliest letter, he is explicit about his own authority as an apostle of Jesus Christ when he reminds the Thessalonians, “You received the word of God, which you heard from us, and accepted it not as the words of men but as what it really is, the word of God” (2:13). 1 Thess 2:13
Paul directly addresses the precise nature of his writings and declares that they are a “command of the Lord”