• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If the Theory of Evolution is true what does it prove?

waitasec

Veteran Member
i'm curious about this...

I don't "deny" evolution, I just gradually haven't come to accept ToE yet.

fair enough...

seems you are trying to understand

once you do you will come to realize the ToE isn't about disproving god but it's about the HOW we evolved maybe you'll come to accept it for what it is...

empirical evidence supports ToE...
evolution is fact
there are theories that support it

have you learned anything about evolution before starting this thread?

Biblestudent_007

I wasn't saying that you were self-deluded. I was saying that other people of faith who disagree with you have equally strong opinions that they perceived the truth.

That is difference in opinion. Its in U.S. congress, people disagree with the U.S. President on different issues. It happens in the media. in other words if we all agreed upon the same things, then something would be wrong.

In their eyes, you are deluded and they are not. In your eyes, they are deluded. How do you know that they are wrong and you are right?
I used to ask myself the same questions similar to yours. Simply put, I admit I could be wrong before first assuming that I know the truth. Thus, carefully learning and study leads to a better understanding of that perceived truth.

For that matter, how do you know that any people of faith are right? You have said that you trained yourself to know the truth. What do you know that people of equally strong, but opposing, faith do not?
I don't. I do believe the books of the Bible are of historical and moral value.

For example, a dictator believes he is right because certain people put him in that position.

The opposing party simply disagrees with the other party for various reasons.

Does that answer Copernicus' question?

Why am I right and other's wrong? different types of atheists and agnostics are the same way.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
"Darwinism" is a strange way of describing modern biology. It's like calling astronomy "Copernicanism."

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
To me, the scientific method is not that big of a deal. There are 2 scriptures that have something to say about this:

1) Romans 1:20
For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.

2) Colossians 1.16
For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him.

For the Scientific method be not that big of a deal to you simply means you don't truly understand it. Pretty much every technological achievement was due to the SM. All fields of science adhere to it. You would not be able to use a computer if it weren't for the SM...and this is why religious belief can never play in the same arena as science.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
honestly, why even ask questions when you're not even interested?

what else does one expect from you with answers like this one

It's not so much that they aren't interested in answering that question. It's that they "can't" answer that question.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
It's not so much that they aren't interested in answering that question. It's that they "can't" answer that question.
I say that the "ignore the questions I cannot answer" technique is a dead give away that they are merely ratifying their beliefs.

Biblestudent_007

For the Scientific method be not that big of a deal to you simply means you don't truly understand it. Pretty much every technological achievement was due to the SM. All fields of science adhere to it. You would not be able to use a computer if it weren't for the SM...and this is why religious belief can never play in the same arena as science.

You're simply exalting science as some kind of trump card.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
You're wanting to live in the reality that science defines.
Right. Creationists are trying to play a game where a certain methodology IS the trump card, yet their views vitally depend on not applying that methodology. The result is that they habitually distort or misrepresent facts, or deliberately misunderstand or oversimplify theories and facts not for any legitimate scientific purpose but solely to create confusion among those who don't understand the scientific method.

Last edited:

Vile Atheist

Loud and Obnoxious
You're simply exalting science as some kind of trump card.

The scientific method is our only known way of verifying objective facts based on known data. We make our observations and note facts. We develop a theory that fits the facts. We then test the theory by using it to make predictions and by falsifying it through peer-review. If new, previously-unknown data comes along that falsifies the theory, a new one is made or the existing one is modified so that it fits the facts. It is then re-tested and our model becomes even more accurate. This is how humanity has progressed and achieved great things.

With your particular brand of Christianity, you open the Bible, choose a verse and declare that to be "The Truth". How do you know it's "The Truth"? How do you know the Bible was written by or "inspired" by God? Does the Bible make predictions? Have these predictions come true? Has anything in the Bible been falsified? What new information can we derive from the Bible? Has anyone ever developed anything useful using the Bible?

When you rank the Bible next to the Scientific Method, the SM dwarfs all the achievements the Bible has ever accomplished (to date, my count is zero achievements from the Bible. Perhaps you can update this number?)

The Scientific Method is not a "trump card", it's our only reliable way of objectively and accurately modelling reality.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
doppelgänger;2481477 said:
Right. Creationists are trying to play a game where a certain methodology IS the trump card, yet their views vitally depend on not applying that methodology. The result is that they habitually distort or misrepresent facts, or deliberately misunderstand or oversimplify theories and facts not for any legitimate scientific purpose but solely to create confusion among those who don't understand the scientific method.

The chief victims of that confusion being themselves.