• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you believe in God AND evolution, why do you believe in God?

Dan From Smithville

For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky
Staff member
Premium Member
Still little to nothing from many claiming to believe in God and evolution as to why they believe in God.
What about something like capital punishment. There are those that believe in God and reject capital punishment. And there are those that believe in God and accept and promote capital punishment. Both may believe in God on faith, so what would this relationship tell you about their beliefs?

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Is it just the theory of evolution or is acceptance of other theories in science relevant to belief in God?
I'm wondering if my question is understood. The question is not about science or evolution. So I'll restate it. What reason(s) might someone have to believe in God if he also believes in evolution? Granted that someone believing in evolution or accepting it as fact has reasons. That is not the question.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
See, we keep going back to evolution when that is not the question.
It is part of the question. It is right in your OP.
The question is, more or less a rephrase: why does a person believe in God if he also believes in evolution? It's not about evolution -- the question implies it's not about evolution, but really what reasons does a person have for believing in God (if he also believes in evolution). It's not about evolution or science. It's asking what reasons a person has to believe in God. (Not evolution)
I don't understand how it can't be about evolution when you keep mentioning evolution in relation to belief in God.

Do you think that accepting science alters a person's faith in some inconspicuous way? Do you think accepting science taints or promotes belief in God?

Coder

It isn't just about that. It is about belief in God in the context of accepting science.
Yes.
Some organizations encourage their members to reject science or at least the science the organization feels conflicts with their specific ideology.
Yes of course, it's biased thinking. :)

In general, we have to bit careful though, because bias can work both ways. However, with regards to evolution, I see nothing to cause doubt. I think it's fascinating actually, to ponder pre-human creatures. Perhaps this is God's gift to us to see where we came from and how He works and sets things in motion.

Last edited:

YoursTrue

What about something like capital punishment. There are those that believe in God and reject capital punishment. And there are those that believe in God and accept and promote capital punishment. Both may believe in God on faith, so what would this relationship tell you about their beliefs?
:) But that's not the question.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
I'm wondering if my question is understood. The question is not about science or evolution. So I'll restate it. What reason(s) might someone have to believe in God if he also believes in evolution? Granted that someone believing in evolution or accepting it as fact has reasons. That is not the question.
I understand the question. I think others understand it too. What we are trying to ascertain is the significance of the belief in relation to accepting science and what that is supposed to mean in terms of the belief.

I'm curious why the question comes up the way it is worded in the first place. Why not simply ask why people believe in God if, as you are now saying, it has nothing to do with acceptance of evolution/

YoursTrue

It is part of the question. It is right in your OP.

I don't understand how it can't be about evolution when you keep mentioning evolution in relation to belief in God.
No, I did not. Maybe I can give another example to clarify. Let's say a person applied to several schools and was accepted by two. He decides to go to one of those schools. The question is not why he did not go to the other school, but why he accepted the invitation to that school.
Do you think that accepting science alters a person's faith in some inconspicuous way? Do you think accepting science taints or promotes belief in God?
That is not my question. The question is: what reasons would a person have to believe in God if he also believes in evolution. :)

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
:) But that's not the question.
In your view, what is significant about accepting the theory of evolution based on the evidence, reasoning and explanatory value in relation to believing in God on faith? What is it you hope to learn from any of this? How is it different than asking about belief in God and acceptance of germ theory?

YoursTrue

I still don't understand the connection you seem to feel exists between belief in God and and accepting scientific theories.

Are you trying say something about those that believe in God and accept science?
I am asking not why a person who believes in God would believe in evolution.

Coder

I believe in God and I accept the theory of evolution.

Besides the ever-increasing fossil record, there is evidence found in numerous scientific disciplines.
Thank you for that info! I posted several links to fossils. E.g. Homo Erectus and Home Naledi. Clear evidence IMHO, especially if we add genetic evidence, not much to doubt at that point. The only point I like to make is that as a professional in my field, I know that anthropology and genetics are not my field, so I can't claim to be an expert. So I simply accept the science, just as you say, we trust the car mechanic to know what they are doing. :)

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
No, I did not. Maybe I can give another example to clarify. Let's say a person applied to several schools and was accepted by two. He decides to go to one of those schools. The question is not why he did not go to the other school, but why he accepted the invitation to that school.
Then why mention evolution at all if it is not relevant and has nothing to do with this thread?
That is not my question. The question is: what reasons would a person have to believe in God if he also believes in evolution. :)
Then evolution is relevant to the thread and your question and I'm asking what the significant relationship is that you see in order to be interested enough to ask the question. Do you think that it alters the belief in God in some meaningful way? Do you think that those that accept the theory of evolution don't believe in God even though they claim to? If so, what reasons and evidence would you give to demonstrate this.

I'm curious as to the point of asking the question the way you have.

You reject evolution and seemingly for reasons that have nothing to do with the evidence or an understanding of the theory. So, perhaps you think that those that accept the theory are somehow spiritually handicapped. I don't know, hence my reason for asking for clarification here.

YoursTrue

In your view, what is significant about accepting the theory of evolution based on the evidence, reasoning and explanatory value in relation to believing in God on faith? What is it you hope to learn from any of this? How is it different than asking about belief in God and acceptance of germ theory?
I am asking (but I am also learning) what reason might a person offer as to why he believes in God, recognizing that he believes in evolution also. It's NOT about science. It's about reasons why someone who believes in science believes in God. I hope that question can be understood. I understand that many believe in evolution. And can cite reasons for that belief or acceptance of the science of evolution. But what about God? what reasons would a person who accepts all endeavors of science have to offer for belief in God?

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
I am asking not why a person who believes in God would believe in evolution.
The way the question in the OP is asked, it is as if there is something wrong with accepting the theory of evolution and believing in God. As if the two are incompatible and those Christians accepting the theory are somehow wrong and incomplete. Perhaps don't really have a true belief in God. That is how I read it.

I hope it is not the case and you just worded the question of the OP badly.

YoursTrue

Then why mention evolution at all if it is not relevant and has nothing to do with this thread?

Then evolution is relevant to the thread and your question and I'm asking what the significant relationship is that you see in order to be interested enough to ask the question. Do you think that it alters the belief in God in some meaningful way? Do you think that those that accept the theory of evolution don't believe in God even though they claim to? If so, what reasons and evidence would you give to demonstrate this.

You reject evolution and seemingly for reasons that have nothing to do with the evidence or an understanding of the theory. So, perhaps you think that those that accept the theory are somehow spiritually handicapped. I don't know, hence my reason for asking for clarification here.
It might be better for me to start a new thread as to why someone believes in God. Without any reference to science. I might do it. Wonder what answers I might get from believers. :) But not yet...

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
I am asking (but I am also learning) what reason might a person offer as to why he believes in God, recognizing that he believes in evolution also. It's NOT about science. It's about reasons why someone who believes in science believes in God. I hope that question can be understood. I understand that many believe in evolution. And can cite reasons for that belief or acceptance of the science of evolution. But what about God? what reasons would a person who accepts all endeavors of science have to offer for belief in God?
The same reasons anyone else has for believing in God as far as I know.

What reasons are there that you think people believe in God. Would acceptance of any science alter that in some way.

I'm still lost as to why acceptance of science is critical to the question.

What about a literal interpretation of scripture pertaining to a flat earth? A literal interpretation promotes the flat earth, but accepting all the evidence and scientific explanations I don't believe in a flat earth. How do you think that alters belief in God?

Brian2

Veteran Member
Be brave--and support your belief in God with reason, if possible, please. That is if you believe in evolution as well as in God.

Not believing that the creation story should be understood as the Young Earth Creationists do, does not mean that evolution as science says that it happened is what one believes.
Actually I find that I can understand Genesis in a way that sort of goes along with what science has discovered.
This does not mean that all of scientific evolution has to be believed by me and in fact is actually reasonable justification for someone who believes in the Bible God, to continue that belief.
However I believe in God because I believe, because I believe. I do not need to justify my belief using reason.
As @Regiomontanus said: How can one not believe in a Creator? Atheism is the most irrational of worldviews.

Last edited:

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
It might be better for me to start a new thread as to why someone believes in God. Without any reference to science. I might do it. Wonder what answers I might get from believers. :) But not yet...
It might be a good idea.

I would recommend leaving out reference to things that you say aren't important to the question of belief. It seems that extraneous reference to things that you say are unimportant increases confusion about the question that you say is important. Just my take on the sorts of answers you are getting.

YoursTrue

I'm not asking why a person might believe in the science of evolution. It seems to be a hot word for some though. So maybe I'll start a new thread, but I think that's already been started by someone, not sure.