• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you believe in God AND evolution, why do you believe in God?

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Not believing that the creation story should be understood as the Young Earth Creationists do, does not mean that evolution as science says that it happened is what one believes, however to answer your OP with a non answer I will say:
I believe because I believe because I believe. I do not need to justify my belief using reason.
As @Regiomontanus said: How can one not believe in a Creator? Atheism is the most irrational of worldviews.
well yes, going back to reasons for belief in the theory of evolution science offers reasons. And as you seem to imply, belief in God without reason justifies belief in God, is that right? No backup needed. No reason. Just belief is the reason for some. Like you say, you believe because you believe because you believe. Right?

YoursTrue

It might be a good idea.

I would recommend leaving out reference to things that you say aren't important to the question of belief. It seems that extraneous reference to things that you say are unimportant increases confusion about the question that you say is important. Just my take on the sorts of answers you are getting.
well, we had one poster answer that he believes because he believes and no justification is necessary. In other words, no reason other than belief without justification. I think my query may be over -- so I would like to thank everyone for answering, whether I agree or not is not the question. But thanks.

Dan From Smithville

For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky
Staff member
Premium Member
Not believing that the creation story should be understood as the Young Earth Creationists do, does not mean that evolution as science says that it happened is what one believes, however to answer your OP with a non answer I will say:
I believe because I believe because I believe. I do not need to justify my belief using reason.
As @Regiomontanus said: How can one not believe in a Creator? Atheism is the most irrational of worldviews.
I think that is the problem. That both theists and atheists accept the science confounds literalist interpreters of the Bible that reject the theory for reasons of belief. If atheists accept the theory that literalist interpreters view as against God, then Christians that accept the theory, must also really be against God and not believe in God either. Thus, the position becomes another argument from ignorance in my view. Otherwise, there is no point to reference acceptance of the theory of evolution as near as I can determine.

YoursTrue

Not believing that the creation story should be understood as the Young Earth Creationists do, does not mean that evolution as science says that it happened is what one believes.
Actually I find that I can understand Genesis in a way that sort of goes along with what science has discovered.
This does not mean that all of scientific evolution has to be believed by me and in fact is actually reasonable justification for someone who believes in the Bible God, to continue that belief.
However I believe in God because I believe, because I believe. I do not need to justify my belief using reason.
thank you Brian.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not asking why a person might believe in the science of evolution. It seems to be a hot word for some though. So maybe I'll start a new thread, but I think that's already been started by someone, not sure.
An I'm not saying you are asking it. I'm asking why mention of the theory is at all relevant. There must be some reason for including it in the OP.

YoursTrue

An I'm not saying you are asking it. I'm asking why mention of the theory is at all relevant. There must be some reason for including it in the OP.
I don't see why I should not ask it. But I see that the mere mention of science and evolution even if not involved in the question is a hot topic for some. Again, it's like saying "how are you feeling today because I know you were not feeling well last time we spoke two weeks ago," and the person just talks about how he felt two weeks ago when that wasn't the question. But ANYWAY--wonder how things will work out (I think I know) if I start another thread without mentioning anything about science (or evolution, which I KNOW is a scientific endeavor).

YoursTrue

All I got from what Brian wrote is that he believes because he believes. If that was all you wanted, why didn't you say so. I believe because I believe just like @Brian2. I also cannot justify my belief with reason and don't feel compelled to try just as Brian stated.
While I thank Brian for his answer (at least he answered), he offered no reasons for his belief. ok.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
I don't see why I should not ask it.
No one is challenging the act of asking it. But a lot of people including me wonder why you are asking it and you have tried not to answer that for 13 pages now. If it isn't relevant to a question of belief, then it makes no sense to include it and if it is, why?
But I see that the mere mention of science and evolution even if not involved in the question is a hot topic for some.
You are just now seeing that? I think you are belittling your own powers of observation and your years of experience here.
Again, it's like saying "how are you feeling today because I know you were not feeling well last time we spoke two weeks ago,"
It is not like that at all. All of that is relevant to asking how a person is feeling. Unless you are saying that asking about the theory of evolution really is relevant. Then we are back to why do you feel it is relevant?
and the person just talks about how he felt two weeks ago when that wasn't the question.
It isn't a very good example, because you aren't getting irrelevant response. They are relevant to what you asked.
But ANYWAY--wonder how things will work out (I think I know) if I start another thread without mentioning anything about science (or evolution, which I KNOW is a scientific endeavor).
I can answer that thread now. I believe because I believe because I believe. It is on faith. There is no objective, rational evidence for my belief.

YoursTrue

All I got from what Brian wrote is that he believes because he believes. If that was all you wanted, why didn't you say so. I believe because I believe just like @Brian2. I also cannot justify my belief with reason and don't feel compelled to try just as Brian stated.
Thank you, too. :)

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
However, your reasonable mind also doesn't see anything irrational about it, so that's a sign that some form of rationality is involved?
I don't know. Perhaps. If I accept subjective evidence as valid to me even if I can't demonstrate that to others. It is a circular validation. I believe it is real and it is real, because I believe it.

What has always made me curious about subjective evidence is that it could be real, but it could also arise for many other reasons that cast doubt on the validity of it. Hence, the subjective nature limiting it to a single individual.

As a kid, I always found reference to people thinking they are Napoleon to be very funny. Kid humor I suppose. I suspect that is why I am fond of using it as an example. But a person deluded in the belief that they are Napoleon may have subjective evidence supporting that belief that their own minds generated from scratch.

So I even question my own subjectivity and wonder about it. Was that a real feeling or just what I wanted to experience knowing it is expected of me by the group I'm a part of. As a Christian, I don't think we get dinged for questioning or examining our own doubts or our own reasons.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Be brave--and support your belief in God with reason, if possible, please. That is if you believe in evolution as well as in God.
I don't believe that acceptance of the theory of evolution differentiates belief in God among believers. You are a believer or you are not. Acceptance of science doesn't change that. Rejecting that science doesn't make one more or less a believer either as near as I know.

The qualification of accepting evolution as the question is written seems to cast doubt a priori on the validity of belief in God by anyone accepting the theory of evolution. If that was not the case, then it wasn't worded very well and includes unnecessary reference to the theory of evolution.

YoursTrue

I don't believe that acceptance of the theory of evolution differentiates belief in God among believers. You are a believer or you are not. Acceptance of science doesn't change that. Rejecting that science doesn't make one more or less a believer either as near as I know.

The qualification of accepting evolution as the question is written seems to cast doubt a priori on the validity of belief in God by anyone accepting the theory of evolution. If that was not the case, then it wasn't worded very well and includes unnecessary reference to the theory of evolution.
once again -- you and Brian and a few others have answered the question -- you believe because you believe, no reason (or justification) beyond that is offered. :) OK, thanks.

YoursTrue

At least
I'm with you. I believe in God and I accept the theory of evolution. Accepting the theory of evolution doesn't mean a believer has some obligation to explain their faith. If you are engaging a Christian mechanic to work on your car, there is no obligation that the mechanic must explain their belief in order to assess their mechanical ability or permit them to work on the car. To me it seems to be another attempt to reject science and challenge the validity of Christians that accept science.

Accepting science doesn't invalidate faith no matter what some people might claim. What I believe is that we do not understand the Bible enough to have come to the best interpretation of scripture despite those all-seeing, all-knowing groups that believe otherwise.

You aren't asking for much. :)

Besides the ever-increasing fossil record, there is evidence found in numerous scientific disciplines. Geology provides us with dating of the strata in which fossils are found. Which is based on work from physics and chemistry. Paleontology provides an interpretation of the fossil record and extends it back 3.8 billion years. Genetics and molecular biology provides evidence and explanation for the particulate basis of inheritance, mutations, relationships between groups and changes in the genes of populations over time. As well, population biology expands on that to further demonstrate those changes and put them in the context of the environment. Physiology presents different evidence to establish relationships between groups of species as well as differentiating the popular notion of adaptation from genetic adaptation that occurs with evolution. Ecology helps us better understand the relationships between living organisms and their environments demonstrating mechanisms of change in action like that demonstrated in one of my favorite papers. https://hoekstra.oeb.harvard.edu/files/hoekstra/files/barrett2019sci.pdf

While attacking Darwin seems to be a creationist pass time, no doubt spurred by a view that Darwin is akin to a religious prophet or holy man. His contribution to science was tremendous, but after 150 years, his relevancy is confined to history and the study of biology and evolution has moved well on. But it is important to mention that a significant portion of On the Origin of Species as dedicated to evidence supporting the theory. And since that time so much evidence has been further accumulated that the theory of evolution is the most well-evidence theory in science. To repeat that the evidence simply isn't there is wishful thinking driven by a desire to overturn the theory for reasons other than scientific.

The evidence is simply to voluminous to do it justice by trying to describe it in a few paragraphs. Suffice it to say that practically every field in biology, including applied fields is touched by the theory and in turn has provided evidence supporting the theory.

I will close with mention of a few important examples of the theory including the use of it to make predictions. In the early 2000's, Neil Shubin and his team were able to find fossils of Tiktaalik, a lobe finned fish with derived features of later tetrapods. https://www.stuartsumida.com/BIOL524/DaeschlerEtAl2006.pdf

If you are interested in more evidence, it can be found in work on the ice nucleating protein of notothenioid fish of Antarctic seas https://www.pnas.org/doi/pdf/10.1073/pnas.0603796103, the cichlid super flock of species from Lake Victoria in Africa, lactose persistence in humans (this also demonstrates convergent evolution by the way), whale fossils and whale evolution from the work of Philip Gingerich https://deepblue.lib.umich.edu/bitstream/handle/2027.42/48501/ID352.pdf, the co-evolution of newts and garter snakes in the Pacific Northwest https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdfdirect/10.1111/j.0014-3820.2002.tb00132.x

I could go on, and perhaps when I have more time I will, but there is an abundance of evidence supporting the theory evidence by the millions of papers that have been published on the subject.
My a/c is broken and I've had several experts supposedly to look at it. They charged me money. It was working when they left but broke again and can't figure it out. I think it's pertinent to this discussion. They say it's ok but it keeps breaking. They belong to a company. They are the technicians. They don't know why it's not working.

YoursTrue

I still don't understand the connection you seem to feel exists between belief in God and and accepting scientific theories.

Are you trying say something about those that believe in God and accept science?
No. I am asking what reasons a person may have to believe there is a God IF they believe there is a God. :)

Brian2

Veteran Member
well yes, going back to reasons for belief in the theory of evolution science offers reasons. And as you seem to imply, belief in God without reason justifies belief in God, is that right? No backup needed. No reason. Just belief is the reason for some. Like you say, you believe because you believe because you believe. Right?

Believing because I believe does not mean that there aren't reasons for belief in God. If atheism is the most irrational worldview that implies that theism is more rational than atheism. It is just that my faith does not require me to justify it.