• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm now a vegetarian!!!

SoyLeche

meh...
cardero said:
That show was good, it's what put me off meat too. Their follow up "Pull it, Pluck it, Toss it, Eat it While it Still Alive" put me off vegetables and fruit. Now I'm starving.
:)

Lisa: I'm not going to eat any more animals
Homer: What about bacon?
Lisa: No
Homer: Ham?
Homer: Pork chops?
Lisa: Dad, those all come from the same animal!
Homer: Sure, Lisa, some wonderful, magical animal.

darkpenguin

Charismatic Enigma
SoyLeche said:
:)

Lisa: I'm not going to eat any more animals
Homer: What about bacon?
Homer: Ham?
Homer: Pork chops?
Lisa: Dad, those all come from the same animal!
Homer: Sure, Lisa, some wonderful, magical animal.

I swear Homer should be blonde lol

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
Pagaal~Mexican18 said:
I appluad you for making that choice, but alas i have an iron deficency and have to eat a cirtain amount of meat to be able to....well....live, there arent supplements that will supply my blood with enough iron so i have to eat the meat. i was a vegetarian after reading the book THE JUNGLE. that opened my eyes to so much. all of my best wishes to you.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. However, even if one is vegetarian, Vitamin C helps the iron to be easily absorbed into the bloodstream.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
darkpenguin said:
Nope I just pointed out that any meat eater is connected to the killing process, that wasn't judging that was just a cold harsh fact my friend.

As for the bacteria part, I think I would have alot more to worry about eating meat.
Again another fact!

Anything can have bacteria if you don't cook it properly. I seem to remember recently there was an outbreak of ecoli on spinach.

darkpenguin

Charismatic Enigma
Hema said:
I'm sorry to hear about your situation. However, even if one is vegetarian, Vitamin C helps the iron to be easily absorbed into the bloodstream.

Iron tablets are available also, my fiance was brought up as a vegetarian and developed anemia and the tablets helped her!
Broccoli and spinach are also natuarally rich in iron! I really love both of those veggies lol, can't get my head around why kids don't!

darkpenguin

Charismatic Enigma
MaddLlama said:
Anything can have bacteria if you don't cook it properly. I seem to remember recently there was an outbreak of ecoli on spinach.

True but I still feel that my risk of poisoning is drasticaly less then eating meat!

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
A lion's digestive tract is three times shorter than ours. They eliminate the meat before it becomes petrified. When we eat it meat it rots in the system and becomes petrified. Our blood feeds off this toxicity. If you leave a tomato and a piece of raw meat on your kitchen counter overnight and check them both the next morning, the meat will already be decaying.

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
darkpenguin said:
Iron tablets are available also, my fiance was brought up as a vegetarian and developed anemia and the tablets helped her!
Broccoli and spinach are also natuarally rich in iron! I really love both of those veggies lol, can't get my head around why kids don't!

Also beet and raisins. :yes:

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
darkpenguin said:
True but I still feel that my risk of poisoning is drasticaly less then eating meat!

Only if you eat raw meat. Vegetables can get bacteria just as easily as meat if you don't cook or wash them properly, or let them sit out long enough. So, risk of food poisoning isn't really different between vegetarians and people who eat meat.

SoyLeche

meh...
MaddLlama said:
Only if you eat raw meat. Vegetables can get bacteria just as easily as meat if you don't cook or wash them properly, or let them sit out long enough. So, risk of food poisoning isn't really different between vegetarians and people who eat meat.
I have nothing to back this up, but I would think that a false sense of security may lead to vegitarians having more risk. But then, most of us live with this same false sense of security about our food preparation.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Lemme just go ahead and tell you that people normally have the worst time during the first 2-3 months of not eating meat. IMO you really don't realize how much you eat meat until you stop, and it can be hard to break that habit.

Good luck with it, though. :) If you're doing it for ethical reasons, I also suggest you start label-reading... gelatin is in everything! :eek:

zombieharlot

Some Kind of Strange
darkpenguin said:
I wanted to announce that after seeing a very disturbing insight into how animals are 'humanely' slaughtered in abbotior that I have made a decision to become a vegetarian!

The series 'Kill it, cook it, eat it' on BBC has put me off meat all together!
It documents peoples reactions on how animals are killed for food and there is a restraunt set up in the abbotior for people to try the said meat after it has been killed.

Apparently after the animals are stunned they are brain dead and un-aware of whats happening to them but I'm no genious but even I could see from the video that the animals were fully aware of the pain that they were going through as they were bled.

The woman who was explaining the process tried to convince the viewing audience that the spasms were due to lack of blood going to the muscles but for me that explanation didn't wash, it didn't explain why the animals were flinching when they were cut!

I have links to videos from the said show and here they are:

WARNING!
THESE VIDEOS ARE NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART AND ARE VERY GRAPHIC AND POSSIBLY OFFENSIVE, VIEW AT YOUR OWN DESCRETION!!!

The sheep:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5m-sXtdSdEA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDAEyW3k92M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StrPOjyW__g

The cow:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OD683YQCOY

Comapassion in world farming promo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3Hkg_ivQhc

Now I don't know about you but after watching that I cannot bring myself to look at meat the same!
There is no way that that process is in any way humane!
I'm not going to judge meat eaters but I am choosing not to be one of them!

I think though that anybody who does eat meat should know where it comes from and take time to watch these videos.

First stop, vegetarianism. Next stop, veganism.

Tigress

Working-Class W*nch.
Kungfuzed said:
Suppose we found a more humane way to slaughter animals. Would you eat meat then?
No. The slaughter would still be unnecessary, as I can survive without meat.

Congratulations, darkpenguin. :clap

Zephyr

Moved on
I'll stick with my slaughter-burgers anyday. It doesn't really matter how the animal died, and being a vegetarian isn't going to save their lives.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Zephyr said:
I'll stick with my slaughter-burgers anyday. It doesn't really matter how the animal died, and being a vegetarian isn't going to save their lives.
No raindrop thinks it's responsible for the flood.

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
darkpenguin said:
Nope I just pointed out that any meat eater is connected to the killing process, that wasn't judging that was just a cold harsh fact my friend.

As for the bacteria part, I think I would have alot more to worry about eating meat.
Again another fact!
Actually, you want to stay right away from peanut butter, salad bars and especially soft cheeses like camembert and brie. High enough bacteria content they're not recommended for consumption by pregnant women.
Oh, and no more soft boiled eggs with toast soldiers for you young man.
Actually, I agree with you, people should know exactly where their meat comes from. It never ceases to amaze me the numbers of people who dont want to know their chop was once a wooly little lamb and get put off their food when they get slapped across the face with the connection.

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
Zephyr said:
I'm not a vegetarian, I've killed things myself, and even I think it matters how the animal died. Even if you don't care about the animal for itself - though you might want to consider how you'd prefer to die - an animal that dies in pain makes for really bad meat. Tough as boots. The more stress, the higher the chew factor.

Zephyr

Moved on
Quoth The Raven said:
I'm not a vegetarian, I've killed things myself, and even I think it matters how the animal died. Even if you don't care about the animal for itself - though you might want to consider how you'd prefer to die - an animal that dies in pain makes for really bad meat. Tough as boots. The more stress, the higher the chew factor.
Ok, there you have a point for sure. Sometimes I actually prefer chewy meat, but some nice tender stuff is certainly good at times.