• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'In God We Trust' and 'Under God'

Official Motto and Pledge of Allegiance...

• Motto should be 'E Pluribus Unum'

Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Motto should be 'In God We Trust'

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Motto should be 'Rebellion Against Tyrants is Obedience to God'

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Pledge should use original wording without 'US of America' and 'Under God' included

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • Pledge should use revised wording, including 'Under God'

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I just wanted to vote

Votes: 6 27.3%

• Total voters

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
In my continuing effort to be more political, I suggest we discuss the national motto, and the subject of 'under God' in the pledge of allegiance.

Do you think our motto should be E Pluribus Unum, In God We Trust, or- should we just go with what Franklin favored: rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God?

Same question for 'under God' in the pledge. Does it belong there? Was the original pledge better? I include the mentioned original below:

pledge-of-allegiance-5-728.jpg

Explain your answers, if you don't mind.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
We should return to our original mottos, as shown on the Fugio Cent.
american-penny-fugio-cent.jpg

Mind Your business
We Are One

Best mottos ever!

Last edited:

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I voted "I just want to vote". Rather than invoke the flag, I would rather say:

"I pledge allegiance to our founding ideals etc".

I'm agnostic on the topic of invoking God since the phase "under God" was added to contrast the US from the "Godless communists".

Duke_Leto

I'm agnostic on the topic of invoking God since the phase "under God" was added to contrast the US from the "Godless communists".

Why should I pledge allegiance to the country I happened to be born in, or even its "ideals" (who determines what the "ideals" are)?

I voted for 'Rebellion Against Tyrants is Obedience to God'. I feel like it might inspire a more politically thoughtful population. I don't believe the Pledge of Allegiance should exist.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
I think the Pledge should be gotten rid of and that the motto should be E Pluribus Unum, which more reflects the founding values.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member

Pledging allegiance to the founding ideals, or even to uphold the Constitution, would be okay with me.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
I agree that our motto should be "E Pluribus Unum" (From Many, One), and I agree that our pledge should omit "under god", but I don't have a problem with saying "United States of America". That is what and who we are, after all.

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
but I don't have a problem with saying "United States of America". That is what and who we are, after all.

I don't have an issue with saying US of America, but I can understand why it may have originally been omitted. Because nationalism can override democratic ideals, and the author may have wanted to say it's a republic we pledge to. The ideals of a democratic republic.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Exactly what is accomplished by anyone, or simply people in general, pledging their allegiance to their country? All I can see is that it may produce a feel-goody moment in some people.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
In my continuing effort to be more political, I suggest we discuss the national motto, and the subject of 'under God' in the pledge of allegiance.

Do you think our motto should be E Pluribus Unum, In God We Trust, or- should we just go with what Franklin favored: rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God?

Same question for 'under God' in the pledge. Does it belong there? Was the original pledge better? I include the mentioned original below:

pledge-of-allegiance-5-728.jpg

Explain your answers, if you don't mind.
I can live with that. In God We Trust and under God add ons has pretty much run its course.

The USSR doesn't exist anymore.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I prefer "E Pluribus Unum" as the national motto, and I firmly believe the pledge should be outlawed under pain of being forced to listen to a thousand repetitions of "Acky Breaky Heart" if some fool dares utter it. The US should have no loyalty oaths. No Democracy should. Democracies should earn the loyalty of their citizens, not brainwash loyalty into them.

Phantasman

The US was created under Judeo-Christian principles. It grew under those principles. When those principles are discarded, the ideology as well as the nation that grew from it, will decline into it's origin. The world takes it's place within the US, bringing the cultures of the world with them. And the same divisions of the world, will be contained in the US as well. The concept of the fore fathers has seen it's peak, and now we see it's demise at hand.

Just my view.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I don't have an issue with saying US of America, but I can understand why it may have originally been omitted.
You might want to Google the original intent of the author. His name is Bellamy.

He wrote the pledge as a unifying statement. It was towards the end of the 19th century, when the USA was riddled with hate and resentment lingering from the War of Northern Aggression. And there was also hope that representative government, republics, might take hold in more of the world.
Bellamy wanted an international affirmation of the basic principles, not a pledge to any particular nation. And then in the 50s, the USA government further bastardized the Pledge by inserting "under God", to divide the USA into the camps "Godless commies" and "decent folk who support the current elite".

I would be fine with the Pledge just going away. To me it's a symbol of division and strife.
Tom

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
The US was created under Judeo-Christian principles.

False. I was waiting for that to come up though. Do you think the first amendment syncs very well with say the first commandment? To have no gods besides YHVH. The first amendment allows such.

That should be enough to start. I've got Adams, Jefferson, and the gang ready to paste- should the need arise.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
The USA was created under Judeo-Christian principles.
No it wasn't, it was created in opposition to them.

You won't find anything about representative government or personal liberty or freedoms like speech and religion anywhere in Scripture.
Tom